Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Wishes and new features

Topic: Hint for skin updates

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

PachNPRO InfinityMember since 2009
I just had the following idea: Wouldn't it be nice if VDJ could check if there are any updates to skins? and display a small hint in the options next to the skins name?
So we do know there is an updated version which probably has some bugfixes or new features added.

I personally don't browse often to the addons pages and check if there is a newer version of skins I'm using.

Posted Fri 10 Mar 17 @ 9:28 am
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
How about monitor the Addons topic (can access from the Comments link of the Addon) ?
Most of the times the author adds the changelog of the update

Posted Fri 10 Mar 17 @ 2:14 pm
By monitor do you mean subscibe the topic?
Then I would get like 15 emails a day if someone starts posting to the topic.

Sure I can check the threads but I'm lazy and VDJ already has online functionality, so I thought a quick run through the installed skins and check the installed version against the online available version would be a big deal.

Posted Mon 13 Mar 17 @ 9:11 am
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
Something like a 'addons I'm interested in' on users profile page that when a user logs on to the site sends a pm if anything has been updated.
Then atomix has another way to gauge who's using what.

Posted Mon 13 Mar 17 @ 10:58 am
Yeah, I vote for that (or something similar) rather than having it in the software.

It already checks our license. How much longer would it take to go through potentially large numbers of skins, checking each one, before the program starts? Then it would need to check all the plugins, right? Might as well have that too! IMO it would/could add too much to the boot time.

Posted Mon 13 Mar 17 @ 6:27 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
No, this will not happen (notification inside VDJ for new Addon updates). The only logical option i see is to have some "alert" icon/option in the Addons page for each one to send an email when the version of the Addon is changed.
However, i rarely see any "critical" updates, or rather, only a very few Addons are updated constantly. I would say the majority of Addons are on version 1.0.

Posted Mon 13 Mar 17 @ 7:00 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
It's not strictly required that it would delay boot time while checking for updates, or it could happen only at the moment you open the skin settings.

Posted Mon 13 Mar 17 @ 7:02 pm
Well OK, a 'check for skin updates' button on the skin tab might be an idea. Then the user can choose when to do it.

Posted Mon 13 Mar 17 @ 7:14 pm
I like the idea of a button to check for skin updates. seems like a good compromise.

Posted Tue 14 Mar 17 @ 9:04 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)