Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Plugins

Topic: Live Video Input

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hi All

Does anybody know of a way to show live video through VDJ8.
Ideally i would like to display an HDMI source.
I'm sure i have read somewhere that TellyMedia can display some USB Capture cards but
not all are supported. I have a Hauppage PVR2 but this isnt visable from within VDJ.
I don't mind purchasing another if i know it will work, or if another solution exists

Many Thanks
Jim

Posted Sun 05 Feb 17 @ 11:03 am
Hi Jim,

TellyMedia supports any device using a DirectShow filter. A DirectShow filter provides the low level access to the device and then provides access thru a common API to a program that may want to interface to the device.

DirectShow filters can accommodate cameras, capture cards, and software devices. Occasionally a company may not wish to provide a DShow filter which forces you to use their own software and most programs simply do not bother with it.

A long time ago, TellyMedia used a an interface done by someone else to interface to cameras. It was reported to me that some captures cards were not working. I got rid of that software and wrote my own interface to DirectShow and now things are better. You can still come across a device that may not work but that is because the DShow filter is not right etc.

I have tested with many devices but can't test them all but all should work give a proper dshow filter. The filter is usually provided for you. Sometimes you will need to use something like EasyCap depending on the device.

I know someone that uses a Hauppage with TellyMedia and it works but not sure about the model number and will try to find out more about that. Generally speaking, if a USB camera does not work in TM, then it is not likely to work in any other program except some specialized software. If some device is not working in TM then I would like to know about and I have tools to discover why that would be. Maybe someone else can comment. I will also check for some more info.

I have also done some work testing wireless cameras. There are a number of ways to support these and more ways are coming. The one I really wanted to work was the GoPro 4 which I had one to test with for a while. This camera has all kinds of capabilities but they totally blew it by not providing a sane interface for 3rd party software to it. Even then it was very limited. I complained to GoPro about it and they were responsive and told me to wait for upcoming versions. Well they are at GoPro 5 now and I have yet to test one but I will.

Posted Mon 06 Feb 17 @ 5:49 am
blckjckPRO InfinityMember since 2008
I can confirm that the Hauppage USB-Live2 works with TellyMedia 1.97 running as a plugin for Virtual DJ 8.2b3573 on Windows 10. This is a USB to composite capture device. I tested this configuration today.

Posted Mon 06 Feb 17 @ 9:20 pm
Hi Don
Thank you for your detailed reply. I shall look into a new capture device now i know its possible from within your plugin.
pity about the GoPro 4 maybe one day they sort it out properly and give you something to work with.

Regards
Jim

Posted Tue 07 Feb 17 @ 7:57 am
Hi Blckjck

Thanks for your reply. i shall look at getting a new capture device. i too am using Virtual DJ 8.2b3573 on Windows 10

regards
Jim

Posted Tue 07 Feb 17 @ 8:01 am
Hi All
Just out of curiosity do you get audio with the video or just video.

Many Thanks
Jim

Posted Wed 08 Feb 17 @ 11:27 am
blckjckPRO InfinityMember since 2008
I have use the audio capture with video before. I mapped the audio channel to a line input and enabled that on a deck in VDJ. I positioned the video input with tele and used my controller for the volume. With this I was able to project a Skype call on a seperate device during a celebration of life. It was a very moving way to have someone that couldn't attend then event be present for everyone to see.

Posted Wed 08 Feb 17 @ 3:33 pm
Hi
Thats a great way to do the audio. The way you did the skype call is exactly the kind of thing i'm looking at doing. The odd live video call at a wedding from guests unable to attend. News flash or sports event results is the kind of live video feed that would be great to cut too at the right kind of event. If you have the means to do something it gives you an option.

Posted Thu 09 Feb 17 @ 7:16 pm
don, I live for YouTube videos giving explanation and showing awesome features is this going to be a video of the future? Video is the way of life now!

Posted Mon 13 Feb 17 @ 10:40 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)