Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Skins

Topic: Is it possible to start other programs from within VDJ with a VDJscript command? - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

Is it possible to start other files/programs from within VDJ with a VDJscript command?

I would like to make a button that is linked to a video file (mp4) and which would launch that file in the default program (MPC-HC) for it. I have configured the video player (MPC-HC) to output on another screen than the ones VDJ uses. Now, i have to minimize VDJ and double-click the file to start the video. I would like to avoid having to minimize VDJ...

Posted Sun 29 Jan 17 @ 12:17 pm
you could always make a link to the file on your taskbar if using windows .. maybe mac does this as well not sure.

Posted Sun 29 Jan 17 @ 12:48 pm
No taskbar on screen (I'm running VDJ fullscreen on Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit SP1) I'm afraid...

Posted Sun 29 Jan 17 @ 1:59 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
Why use an external player ? Use VirtualDJ to play/display those videos.
Create a <window> in your skin with a <video > element to show the video deck X preview. If you only use 2 decks to mix, have a "hidden" deck 3 to load and play those videos in that <window>
Once you open your skin, move and resize the <window> to the screen/monitor you wish to show that. The size and position will be stored for the next time you open VirtualDJ.
You will apparently have to set deck 3 volume to 0 too ;)

Posted Sun 29 Jan 17 @ 2:36 pm
I'm not sure that that's possible with my setup, but please, correct me if I'm wrong, Babis...

On my graphics card (AMD Radeon HD 7850) I have two outputs:
I have a touch screen as the VDJ controller (=monitor 1 in the Windows setup)
I have the VDJ video output on the Matrox Triple2Go monitor (=monitor 2) giving thus 3 different projected screens.
On my integrated motherboard graphics I have one output:
I have a third projected screen (=monitor 3) where MPC-HC outputs its videos

So, I already have VDJ's main video output (deck 1 / 2 mix) window on monitor 2. How can I have deck 3 output to monitor 3?

Is it possible to send the video output of one certain deck to one certain monitor?

Posted Sun 29 Jan 17 @ 2:56 pm
Now it got through (I zipped the skin files)
:)

BUMP: Is it possible to send the video output of one certain deck to one certain monitor?

Posted Mon 30 Jan 17 @ 8:27 pm
With the same technique, yes

Posted Mon 30 Jan 17 @ 8:39 pm
Sorry, Phantom. I must be missing something. What technique are you referring to?

Is there a VDJscript code to have deck 3 for instance output to monitor 3 for example?

Posted Mon 30 Jan 17 @ 8:49 pm
No, there's no script for that.
But you can create a custom window on your skin and put the deck preview video there.
Then you can drag this window at any one of your monitors, maximize it and effectively send the video preview of a deck to a monitor

Posted Mon 30 Jan 17 @ 8:57 pm
Ah, I see... Very smart!!!
You guys are really creative!

Many thanks, Phantom!!!

Posted Mon 30 Jan 17 @ 9:42 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
Email sent
Let me know if that helps.

@anyone interested...
You just need to add a window like..
<window name="video_output" breakline="5" posx="0" posy="0" width="600" height="344" image="video.png">

<video source="channel" chan="3">
<pos x="1" y="1"/>
<size width="600-2" height="344-2"/>
</video>
</window>
</skin>

Show hide the window with .. show_window 'video_output' action assigned to whatever controller/skin/keyboard button u want

You can choose any width/height for your window, and any background for your window image (in this case a video.png file that you need to zip along with the other 2 files of your skin)
The breakline was added to make sure the video element will be resized filling the entire area. If not added, the Video element will be resized proportionally, leaving the background of the window image at the bottom

Posted Tue 31 Jan 17 @ 3:25 am
Thank you very much, Babis. I am now testing my modified skin.

I have a silly question, though: how do I resize (make full screen) the new preview window? There are no border-dragging possibilities, nor does double or right-clicking do anything, nor does it go full screen when striking the ENTER key...

I have the size of the preview window at 1024 x 768, which is also the size of the monitor in Windows (and the resolution of the beamer that projects the preview window). But the background image is only covering about 70% of the monitor screen. And when I play a video, that itself is only covering about 25% of the background image...

What am I doing wrong?

Posted Wed 01 Feb 17 @ 4:46 pm
This is what I have:

<window name="CENTER SCREEN" posx="0" posy="0" breakline="5" width="1024" height="768" image="CENTER SCREEN.bmp">
<video source="channel" chan="6">
<pos x="0" y="0"/>
<size width="1024" height="768"/>
</video>
</window>

And when I have played a video, the background is not visible anymore after stopping and even unloading the video?

Posted Wed 01 Feb 17 @ 5:53 pm
1) Leave a 5 pixels border around your preview video
2) You need to close the video engine, or run a visualization plugin on the deck.

Posted Wed 01 Feb 17 @ 8:52 pm
You mean something like this?

<window name="CENTER SCREEN" posx="0" posy="0" breakline="5" width="1029" height="773" image="CENTER SCREEN.bmp">
<pos x="0" y="0"/>
<size width="1024" height="768"/>
</video>
</window>

How do I "close the video engine" ?

Posted Wed 01 Feb 17 @ 9:42 pm
Copy/Paste Ready™ Solution:

<window name="CENTER SCREEN" posx="0" posy="0" breakline="5" width="1024" height="768" image="CENTER SCREEN.bmp">
<pos x="+5" y="+5"/>
<size width="1024-10" height="768-10"/>
</video>
</window>

Posted Wed 01 Feb 17 @ 9:45 pm
Deejay Corny wrote :

How do I "close the video engine" ?

Hmmmm....

video off
(put it on a custom button)

Posted Wed 01 Feb 17 @ 9:46 pm
Thanks Phantom for your input!

Okay, so I copied and pasted the code into my skin and started VDJ, but I see the exact same thing: the background image and/or preview window is centered and only covers about 70% of the monitor/beamer output and there's no (apparent) way to get it to go full screen...

Again: how do I resize the preview window or turn on full screen? There are no resize dragging options at the borders, no right-click menu, nor does double-clicking or the ENTER key do anything...

By the way: the video off command is not an option, since it doesn't restrain itself to the deck container, but turns off all screens! And Sonique nor Milkdrop will bring back the background image. I think I'll just forget about any background image. Isn't that important, anyway. I can put any image there with the sampler. But what would interest me: how can I make Milkdrop and Sonique react to the music playing out live, when I have those effects running on my preview window from (in my case) deck 6?

EDIT: I just discovered that the video is also being cut off at the bottom. I just tried a video with text and noticed that the bottom part was missing... How about that for a mystery?. So it may not (only) be a full-screen-or-not issue after all!

Posted Thu 02 Feb 17 @ 9:11 am
Okay, further experimenting has solved the cutting-off-at-the-bottom problem. I used Babis' code - this time to the letter - and I get the full image/video now... but still not full screen...

<pos x="1" y="1"/>
<size width="1024-2" height="768-2"/>
</video>
</window>

So I get it (I don't, actually): the video cannot cover the whole window area for some odd reason. Moving on...

How do I resize the preview window or turn on full screen?

How can I make Milkdrop and Sonique react to the music playing out live, when I have those effects running on my preview window from (in my case) deck 6?

Posted Thu 02 Feb 17 @ 10:46 am
What's the screen resolution of your monitor ?
Also in order to drag and/or resize the window you need to move the mouse on the 5 pixels "border" of the window

As for Milkdrop reacting to sound I guess you could configure a line input on your audio setup, feed that with your master sound and enable line-in on deck 6 when there's no other media loaded

Posted Thu 02 Feb 17 @ 10:49 am
33%