Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Windows or Mac

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

djreelsPRO InfinityMember since 2011
Thinking of getting a new laptop strictly for the program. Which would be the best operating system for VDJ? Tired of having issues every so often

Posted Wed 30 Nov 16 @ 4:07 pm
There's never going to be a linux version.

Posted Wed 30 Nov 16 @ 5:27 pm
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
There aint no linux support for vdj, and hw drivers for linux are few and far between.

Posted Wed 30 Nov 16 @ 5:30 pm
windows VDJ isn't compatible with linux

Posted Wed 30 Nov 16 @ 6:52 pm
Apologies... I meant a Windows laptop or MAC

Posted Wed 30 Nov 16 @ 7:36 pm
Windows - 10 is not something I would personally use, although 7 or 8.1 work well.

Mac - OS is not as stable these days and the hardware is uber expensive.

VDJ runs far better on windows, especially for video.

Posted Wed 30 Nov 16 @ 7:58 pm
Thank you

Posted Wed 30 Nov 16 @ 9:36 pm
I use a mac book pro early 2011 and works really good with 2 dnsc2900 and a dnx1600 mixer

Posted Tue 06 Dec 16 @ 3:42 am
I use a Dell Inspiron 2-in-1 laptop with a touch screen, using Windows 10 Home. No issues, at all, and I use it for everything.

My suggestion is to get what you feel comfortable running, Windows or iOS... The OS isn't that much of a concern. FOREMOST, get a high quality computer! This is your business, so don't scrimp on a cheap laptop to drive your console.
. Apple uses quality components in making their hardware, and I would definitely say to go that route just to make sure you get quality hardware in your next purchase.
. I know both platforms, but grew up with and made my living on Windows based systems. And, I would lean toward a $750 laptop over a $500, if it mean a better set of hardware.

Hardware purchasing points of interest:
- Get the best processor you can afford. You will have this computer for probably 5 years, so think how doggish it will be in 2021 with lower end CPU. A Core i7 may seem too much, today, but not in a few years.
- Add as much RAM as your can. My Inspiron topped out at 8GB, last year, and I will probably wish it were 16GB in a couple years.
- Hardware accelerated video with a lot of RAM is good for more than video games. In a few years, you may be piping 4K video streams with you music.
- Consider an SSD for the main OS drive. Solves so many HDD point of failure issues. Yes, SSDs have issues over moving platters, but not as bad.
- Buy a spare laptop power supply. Keep it with the console and use it for the gigs. You don't want to be running on batteries.
- Get the 3 year next business day support plan, and possibly the accidental damage coverage. One hardware issue, especially a broken screen, will justify that expense in a heartbeat.

Yes, my Inspiron 15 2-in-1 laptop ended up costing me about $1,100, counting all the add-ons. I bought my wife one almost identical to it. Hers is set up as a backup, in case the worst happens. And, I can get mine repaired through summer of 2018. It's for business, so it is worth it!

Side note about SSDs and using SD cards to store music files (which I do)... Learn about Spin Rite (GRC.com). It is the best $90 investment for drives, including SSDs. Run Spin Rite on "Level 2" to recover lost sectors, and it will also reset the SSD "Wear Leveling Bit" giving back that I/O speed that slowly goes away with use. I suggest every 500 hours or so.

Good luck on your purchase, and don't penny wise... It risks being dollar foolish. Buy the best you can afford!
With all the bells

Posted Tue 06 Dec 16 @ 9:36 pm
Point still remains that Mac machines are way overpriced and you get FAR more for your money with other manufacturers.

Posted Tue 06 Dec 16 @ 9:49 pm
SledderPRO InfinityMember since 2015
Has anyone used a mac mini if so, have you encountered any issues and in particular playing video. I wasaid looking at getting one as it's a cheaper option than buying a mac book pro. Thanks in advance

Posted Wed 07 Dec 16 @ 11:44 am
These days a really good Windows machine is just as good as a Mac and you do get more for less when buying a windows machine. I have a fairly new Mac and Windows machine and the Mac was way more in price than the windows but for Video DJing, the windows machine is much better and very impressive with how it performs

Posted Thu 08 Dec 16 @ 6:33 am
Thank you for your perspective on having used both platforms! I agree that Apple is a higher price investment, but I see nothing against justifiably paying more for reliability. When it is dedicated to the purpose, it is easier to take tax write offs. I often see more Windows purchases using cheaper hardware, and that can bring unstable operating environments. I do appreciate the touch screen on Windows (which Apple seems to not natively support), even though my DJ controller has almost everything I need to not have to use the mouse... mostly. I spend about 95% of my computer time on Windows, and didn't want to lean my recommendations on personal bias.

DJ Andrew Ryan wrote :
These days a really good Windows machine is just as good as a Mac and you do get more for less when buying a windows machine. I have a fairly new Mac and Windows machine and the Mac was way more in price than the windows but for Video DJing, the windows machine is much better and very impressive with how it performs

Posted Fri 09 Dec 16 @ 2:35 am
I agree about the pricing (see my comments in my replay to Andrew).

kradcliffe wrote :
Point still remains that Mac machines are way overpriced and you get FAR more for your money with other manufacturers.

Posted Fri 09 Dec 16 @ 2:36 am
The windows machine a have was $1000. To get the same hardware in a Mac it would have been $2000.. I priced and compared and a windows with those same specs. I've tested my windows and it's solid. Don't be afraid to go windows of u want. Just don't cut corners when buying one.

Posted Sat 10 Dec 16 @ 8:47 am
Hi
I'm using an old iMac to run VDJ8.2 on OSX El Capitan. I have partitioned the Hard Drive (BootCamp) and run Windows 7 also with VDJ8.2.
The only reason for using windows on a mac is that some of the plugins for VDJ aren't available for mac, but i have to say with setup and hardware that I'm using, using mac version is more stable.

Posted Sun 11 Dec 16 @ 7:56 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)