Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Technical Support

Topic: Error Message

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

RAD KEYControlleristMember since 2015
I was playing a gig last night and I lost my internet connection. All my songs have been downloaded. About 25% of the songs I tried to play came up as ERROR. When I am online I do not have this problem. What can I do to prevent the ERROR message if I can not access the internet?

Posted Thu 03 Nov 16 @ 6:25 am
RAD KEY wrote :
What can I do to prevent the ERROR message if I can not access the internet?

Buy your songs. :-)

Posted Thu 03 Nov 16 @ 5:46 pm
@Groovin,

You really need to get off your moral high horse. Not everyone has been a DJ as long as we have and amassed the perfect record collection.

Many (as you know) do use a subscription service to provide music for their gigs and it's not up to us to dictate whether that's right or wrong.

It seems you have a crusade against anyone using subscription services judging by the amount of posts you have taken part in regarding CU and telling people to buy their music.

@RAD KEY

Did you refresh your cache before the gig, are those songs still available on CU?

Posted Thu 03 Nov 16 @ 6:12 pm
You both have valid points, and this will be debated until the end of time. You two are grown men, so if there is blood on the forum floor from a fight, I will watch for awhile and then get a mop. This the way I see it.

I don't care how you get your music. Our job as DJs is to give our clients what they paid for. This a responsibility we all need to take seriously, and some do not. They hired US, not our software, not our speakers, microphones, not our content providers, not our hard drives. Accept this responsibility, and stop blaming others. I don't depend on anyone but myself to do my gigs, and I am prepared. In your case, you were not prepared. If you download your songs to cache, they should play without internet connection. If you depend on these tracks, you should know that they play without internet, before you go to a gig. If you do not cache your songs, you should know that they will not play without internet. Unless these tracks are netsearch, then that is completely different, and you should know that they can not be depended on. What backup plan do you have, for any and all situations? This is the responsibility we take, when clients hire us. Think about it, would you hire a guy to build your house, if his tools were only available when he could rent them?

I had a restart in the club yesterday. This was a total shock to me, as I play regularly, and don't have crashes. It took me 8 seconds instead of 3 seconds to get music back up, because I failed to have the mp3 player on a loop. I did not blame anyone but myself, even for the crash (hopefully it generated a report) and I will find out the cause. I take this very seriously, because this is my only source of income. I don't have time to make excuses. This is not a DJ thing, it's a life thing.

So these are some questions to ask yourself. Is this the occupation that I want to pursue? How am I going to get my content? Are my songs cached, and will they play without internet? If I only rely on content unlimited, what happens when there is no internet? What happens when content unlimited servers are down? If I buy all of my music, what happens when a hard drive fails? What happens if my computer, speakers, controller fails? What happens if I have diarrhea?

My point? Shit happens, (pun intended) be prepared.

Posted Thu 03 Nov 16 @ 7:35 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)