Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Projector Tips For Beginners. - Page: 3

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

VDJ RonPRO InfinityMember since 2010
Yes it was a bit funny..but if I find a suitable material, and then tell everyone that will wipe your unhelpful smile.
I'm convinced that material exists, and can be bought cheaply.

What I did with my cheap Argos shower curtain, and a £35 secondhand Epson projector last night produced a very good, acceptable picture.
It's just that I want the best for very little money.
ROFL

I'm now wondering if spandex permits the hotspot?
The only way for me to find out is to try.

The material the Argos shower curtain is made of is just described as plastic. I need a heavier gauge of this material to resist damage in transit.

Posted Thu 12 May 16 @ 5:55 pm
OK, so I've gone up market to the Asda (Walmart) plain white 100% peva shower curtain liner, it cost £4.
It's slightly stronger than the Argos curtain, produces a good rear projection image, and resists the dreaded hotspot..which I have now seen on an Ikea curtain. There are recommended methods for removing creases included in the instruction. Many have used this curtain successfully according to internet posts.

I now seem to have a plan to hang the curtain.
With a 40mm dia. 7ft. long black waste pipe as a cross member, I then used the eyes on the curtain, and cable ties to secure it to this pipe. A 90 degree elbow is glued on each end of the pipe which then enables it to sit on the upright poles of my two light stands.
I've not decided as yet whether to cut the bottom of the curtain off or just leave it as a skirt.

We shall see..

Following the instructions to remove the creases I placed the curtain in a warm bath prior to hanging. Without doubt the material is stronger than that of the Argos curtain.

Posted Thu 12 May 16 @ 8:57 pm
Post some pics Ron, curious to see how this all pans out bro!!

Posted Thu 12 May 16 @ 10:07 pm
Nothing will stop me posting photographs.

At the moment I've not tested it properly.
The slightest breeze has me struggling in the back garden.
Creases still exist.
I'm more casual about creases now, over time it appears they fade, and do little harm to the picture.
It's hanging in my bedroom in front of a window.
I've been out in the street and seen the rear projection image, it looks good.
It will be next week before I can offer the next episode.
I need to set it up in a proper venue.

Posted Fri 13 May 16 @ 11:42 am
taylaPRO InfinityMember since 2007
If you can get your hands on a jet steam iron that may help to get those greases out, or use a damp towel and run an iron over that... remember to switch the iron on though, rofl.

Posted Fri 13 May 16 @ 6:27 pm
The Asda shower curtain did not perform that well.
I hit two problems, the creases are stubborn, and the rear projection image is only equal to the front in terms of brightness.
This drove me back to the Argos shower curtain which is fragile, but optically almost perfect.
As in one of the photographs I posted five point support using bungee cords is my latest set up.
Support points: top right, left and center plus left and right on the bottom.
I can do this without installing eyelets, but I will fit them in an attempt to achieve a more professional look.

Also I have ordered the spandex screen, and that should be here soon.
I'm wondering if it may produce the hotspot problem?

Since projector lamp life is determined by the time taken for the lamp to reduce in brightness by 50% it occurred to me that a new lamp might be beneficial. On Amazon I ordered a PGROG7 lamp for £22. Reviews are good, and brightness is apparently fine, although there are no reviews specifying life expectancy. However at this price I don't care, I'll have my old lamp as a backup.

All is going well.
I wont post photographs yet because I keep changing my mind.
Spandex may be the winner..I will know in a few days.

Posted Tue 17 May 16 @ 11:44 pm
Here are some of the photographs which made me decide to use the Argos curtain rather than Asda.

Notice that there is no sign of a hotspot.
The hotspot would be by the foot of the central dancer in photograph 5, directly below the singer.
The Asda shower curtain would do at a push..but I want better.

You can see where I've used black gaffa tape to reinforce the shower curtain while I await the arrival of my eyelet machine.

I do keep changing my mind....and I hope to get my spandex screen in the post tomorrow. I'll let you know how that goes.

Posted Wed 18 May 16 @ 9:31 pm
I've got my spandex screen, it's robust, but since I can see the window blind through it, then it will create a hotspot. However if the projector is low down, and angled upwards the hotspot would not be visible on stage.

My first thoughts are that the Argos shower curtain is the best..but I might use spandex due to it's robust qualities.

Note: In the above photographs it is the Asda shower curtain being tested, I never made that clear.

Posted Thu 19 May 16 @ 11:13 am
I hope AMAHM can cope with my multiple posts.

I'm astounded.
A couple of days ago I ordered a spare lamp for my Epson EB-X6 projector from Amazon, it was coming from China.
The cost at £22 including postage was remarkably low.
Today an extremely well packaged item arrived with a return address Zhong Dongmu.
It was my lamp which I thought might take weeks to arrive.

The lamp fitted easily into my projector, and appears to work well.
I know nothing about how long it will last..but the whole thing so far has been first class!

Posted Fri 20 May 16 @ 1:24 pm
I'm pushing my luck again..the new lamp is much brighter than my old one.
The head to head battle between the Argos shower curtain v Spandex is in full swing.
I've received my eyelet machine, and besides reinforcing the four corners of the Argos item with gaffa tape, I've installed eyelets.
Argos appears to be easily winning!
At the moment my tests are just based on front projection.
I expect Argos to win hands down doing rear projection, we shall see.

Note:
These are early days.
Creases are not a problem with the almost elastic lightweight Argos item, the bungee cables have eliminated that problem.

Posted Fri 20 May 16 @ 5:40 pm
My Argos shower curtain was vastly superior to my spandex screen. I suspect all spandex screens are inferior due to the hotspot problem, which also results in rays traveling across the screen. The Argos item blocked the hotspot and produced a bright image! There will be many shower curtains which are suitable for rear projection, the Asda (Walmart) one is not bad.
Use 4 bungee cables to apply elastic tension to the shower curtain/screen.
Reinforce the 4 corners of your shower curtain/screen.

After reviewing many posts on the internet I expect a suitable shower curtain to be a match for the specialized expensive materials.

You may be required to carefully look after a shower curtain/screen, this is manageable.

SPANDEX IS NOT REALLY SUITABLE FOR REAR PROJECTION.

Posted Sat 21 May 16 @ 10:54 pm
I'm back..I feel like Eminem.

Topic: The PHROG7 £22 projector lamp being sold on Amazon.
See link https://www.amazon.co.uk/PHROG7-replacement-lamp-EPSON-ELPLP41/dp/B006B60BOC
I had problems, the projector turned off a couple of times, and the lamp error warning leds lit.
My projector had been running very well with a bright clear image, although it felt very hot.
Setting the "high altitude" mode enables extra cooling, and appears to have solved the problem.
Also make sure you clean the air filter.
My projector now runs warm, as opposed to very hot.

Buy buy this lamp at your own risk, there are no guarentees it will last.
I will keep you informed.

Posted Tue 24 May 16 @ 1:30 pm
The Asda (Walmart) shower curtain is better than the Argos equivalent. Using the Asda curtain the hotspot is totally removed, whilst the Argos one permits a faint glow. Also the Asda shower curtain is more robust, and the colours seem more vivid.
Anyway it's going to work tonight, as opposed to being tested.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301155439268?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
These are on order , I don't like the brass eyelets I have at the moment.

My new projector lamp is doing fine so far, however I'm not, I have square eyes.
The projector is never turned off, I'm preparing to review the lamp, but not just yet.

I'm experimenting using a hair dryer to remove any creases, I've no conclusion as yet.

Posted Sat 28 May 16 @ 12:18 am

Posted Mon 30 May 16 @ 4:11 pm
I've given up putting eyelets in the screen, this is my latest effort.

I'm going back to the Argos curtain since it's brighter, even though there is a faint glow due to the hotspot effect.

I'll have to see if I can get some proper rear projection material to test.

Note: My stands where blew over totally twice today, yet no harm was done!

Posted Thu 02 Jun 16 @ 3:55 pm
blckjckPRO InfinityMember since 2008
My thoughts on low lumen projectors. I was given an ASK Proxima C110 DLP projector because it had shadowing. I repaired the glue that had failed on the light tunnel mirrors. Projector works without issue.
Before this I would rent projectors or use TV's. This projector has 800x600 native resolution and 1600 Lumens.
Now, I know the limitations of this equipment. I cannot properly project in a bright room (lots of sunlight or other sources of light). Where it does work great is night club light levels or outdoor night time events. This probably isn't the thread to discuss other things besides lumens to look at when projector shopping. However, it should be mentioned there are other things that effect relative image brightness and clarity that a begginer should research and learn about. When I gig with this, or any projector, I always bring a backup or have a plan.

Would I intentionally buy a low output projector, not a chance. If you price your gigs right, you will recover the investment of a decent projector fairly quickly. Also, I am still having to rent when the gig is not optimal for my projector. With renting being roughly 10% of a new projector, I would think someone could charge appropriately and save up for the proper projector. I would advise this over getting a low output one to gig with.

On the subject of screens. The above logic on renting applies here as well. However, the initial investment for a stand, truss, fire retardant Lycra spandex screen, and mounting hardware is $250 here in the states. I don't know that your saving all that much money if you are initially putting a full kit together with the DIY option. My Lycra screen also states the fire retardant needs to be reapplied after machine washing or dry cleaning. Implying that it is okay for you to fire retard fabric.
With that said, bulk ordering Lycra and treating it yourself may be an option if you have unused trussing that can be put into service. I would also suggest a dark backing fabric or a second screen such as a roll down. This is useful for events that have a light source behind where you want to put the screen. With a Lycra screen, the light source will bleed through.

As far as my purchased screens, I just kept searching for sales. I picked up an Odyssey LTMVSCRNLG Scrim Werks 16ft x 6ft Projection Stretch Screen for $150 by shopping around. That gave me a screen, mounting straps, and a carrying bag for cheaper then I could have gotten just the fabric and sewn in the mounting loops.

I would definitely stay away from any plastic or vinyl shower curtain linings. The fire hazard is too risky. Items that are bought to be used for home use are not rated for the same fire risk as commercial use.

Posted Mon 06 Jun 16 @ 8:16 pm
You're aware that a projector lamps life is determined by it reaching 50% of it's original brightness?
Not to mention the diminished brightness due to dust.

I'm of the opinion spandex is unsuitable for rear projection, however there are many types.
Do you get the horrible hotspot using spandex as a rear projection material?

EU fire regulations seem to be vastly superior to those of the USA.
Our shops are subjected to strict legislation.
A shower curtain which is a fire hazard is not acceptable.

I have a quite good quality Nobo front projection screen, with a skirt, a spandex screen and a few more.
Considering as many options as possible is important.

I started off with cheap 200w rms speakers long ago, now I have quite expensive Peavey Impulse 1012 500w rms tops.
You used the vastly cheaper Peavey budget equivalents!

It does not seem wise to me to jump in the deep end by buying all the most expensive equipment, even if it can be afforded.

Edited as irrelevant to the topic by AMAHM

Posted Mon 06 Jun 16 @ 9:10 pm
ok, I dj all the time.. I use 100$ used projectors and stack two and converge them together and have never had a issue. I use three screen that are hung from chauvet clamps that are attached to cheap truss and paid only 54.00 for each and they are nine foot from princess auto. The idea of expensive projectors make me laugh as the most expensive one was $250 000 and was 1000$ for a bulb that only lasted 900 hours at flames central in Calgary.. in the end the 10 000 $ projector was the cheaper way to go.. my clients never complain . if they pay me 5000$ for a show then I will rent the best.. 1200.00 then they get mapped stacks. .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23x8pTTmO-U

Posted Tue 07 Jun 16 @ 12:03 am
tycoonentertainmentcanada wrote :
ok, I dj all the time.. I use 100$ used projectors and stack two and converge them together and have never had a issue. I use three screen that are hung from chauvet clamps that are attached to cheap truss and paid only 54.00 for each and they are nine foot from princess auto. The idea of expensive projectors make me laugh as the most expensive one was $250 000 and was 1000$ for a bulb that only lasted 900 hours at flames central in Calgary.. in the end the 10 000 $ projector was the cheaper way to go.. my clients never complain . if they pay me 5000$ for a show then I will rent the best.. 1200.00 then they get mapped stacks. .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23x8pTTmO-U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbCWMMfJT2o

Posted Tue 07 Jun 16 @ 12:12 am
blckjckPRO InfinityMember since 2008
bigron1 wrote :
You're aware that a projector lamps life is determined by it reaching 50% of it's original brightness?
Not to mention the diminished brightness due to dust.

Yes

bigron1 wrote :
I'm of the opinion spandex is unsuitable for rear projection, however there are many types.
Do you get the horrible hotspot using spandex as a rear projection material?

No, but that may be do to my positioning of the projector. Lycra spandex is the most popular projection screen material I see for mobile work.

bigron1 wrote :
EU fire regulations seem to be vastly superior to those of the USA.
Our shops are subjected to strict legislation.
A shower curtain which is a fire hazard is not acceptable.

I wouldn't be able to properly comment without knowing the material.

bigron1 wrote :
I started off with cheap 200w rms speakers long ago, now I have quite expensive Peavey Impulse 1012 500w rms tops.
You used the vastly cheaper Peavey budget equivalents!

I'm not sure why you brought this up. But, I feel the tone and comments are degrading, as well as exaggerated. I would assume you are referring to my Peavey PR-12's. The Impulse 1012's are made with a lot of the same components. They also only get a small amount louder with program levels. Both speakers need a little EQ to sound proper, but they do not sound vastly different then each other. They are both entry level budget cabinets. While jumping from a $205 speaker to a $320 speaker is a bit of a price jump, your pretty much getting an upgraded woofer. Still not a quite expensive speaker versus a vastly cheaper speaker. I would also consider my $670 Yamaha sub and my 4 Mackie SRM450's entry level.

bigron1 wrote :
It does not seem wise to me to jump in the deep end by buying all the most expensive equipment, even if it can be afforded.

At no point did I or anyone mention buy the most expensive equipment. However, I do recommend good, reliable, equipment. As well as a backup plan.

Posted Tue 07 Jun 16 @ 12:21 am
77%