Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Skins

Topic: 1366x768

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I am having a problems with VDJ crackling and popping and general distortion, I am trying everything to fix the issue.

One thing I still need to do is get a skin that is the proper resolution, my gig pc is 1366x768. I notice that you can no longer search skins by resolution and each skin comes in different sizes, the default skin does not come in 1366x768. What am I to do?

Posted Sat 06 Feb 16 @ 10:00 pm
You can still search old skins (VDJ 7 and earlier) by resolution. Skins for 7 should still work fine on 8.

I guess the reason you can't do that with skins for 8 is that Atomix expect (or prefer) there to be just one resolution now, and that's 1920x1080. There are skins for 8 which aren't 1920x1080 but not many.

Personally I think it's a shame that skins aren't provided in different resolutions any more, as there are still screens of various sizes and various resolutions - and the graphical elements of a skin designed for 1920x1080 are going to end up much smaller on a lower res or size screen, which affects usability.

I've ended up having to make my own skin (based on an old 1366x768 one) so that I can use VDJ 8 on my new laptop. Users shouldn't have to resort to that.

I think that at the very least, the default skin should be available at different resolutions. VDJ may be a bit smarter now when it comes to resizing, but it doesn't change the fact that the graphical elements (knobs, faders, buttons, text etc) are all shrunk when using 1920x1080 on smaller screens.

Posted Sat 06 Feb 16 @ 11:40 pm
groovindj wrote :

I think that at the very least, the default skin should be available at different resolutions.
Exactly.

Perhaps you could send me this skin you have?

Posted Sun 07 Feb 16 @ 3:31 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
In v7 the skin scaling was quite poor, so skins had to be supplied in different resolutions for them to work on different screens.
The original v7 skin did not change the size of the elements for different resolutions though.

The relation between resolution and screen size was also very small, and has become even smaller.
There are phones with 5.5" screen and a 2560x1440 resolution, and at the same time you might still come across a 17" laptop with only a 1366x768 screen.

I agree that it could make sense to have another default skin optimized for smaller screens, but most likely that would also be supplied in 1920x1080 and downscaled in real time.

Posted Sun 07 Feb 16 @ 8:25 am
Adion wrote :

There are phones with 5.5" screen and a 2560x1440 resolution

Maybe there are - but the key thing is that the GUI (icons etc) is sized correctly.

The problem with the VDJ method is that all the bitmap graphics get scaled down when a HD skin is used on a laptop screen.

Please consider that many DJs use laptops, and 1366x768 is still a very common resolution.

Skins designed for that res have correctly sized buttons, knobs, faders, text etc. so they are much more usable than a shrunk HD skin.

Charlie, YHM.

Posted Sun 07 Feb 16 @ 10:33 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
I don't quite understand how the size of the buttons is related to the resolution.
The current skin is designed with a 15" laptop screen in mind. A 1cm button on a 15" 1920x1080 screen will still be 1cm on a 15" 1366x768 screen.

Posted Sun 07 Feb 16 @ 10:42 am
Adion wrote :
The current skin is designed with a 15" laptop screen in mind

Really? I'm surprised, as when I view the default skin on my 15.5" 1366x768 laptop, IMO a lot of the GUI is too small.

For example, look at the pitch % display at the bottom of the pitch sliders. Can you see it clearly on a 15" screen?

Not only is it very low contrast (grey on grey) but the font size is so small that it's barely visible.

Posted Sun 07 Feb 16 @ 11:56 am
Which skin are you having problems with? maybe we could tweak some pat of it so it suits your screen better??

Posted Sun 07 Feb 16 @ 5:53 pm
Actually I was fine with the skin I was using, just I noticed that it was a different resolution to my screen and seen as I was having problems thought I'd query it since i couldn't find an up to date VDJ 8 skin at my resolution. I do relate to Groovin with graphical issues sometime with some skins, it is a shame we are still going through this.

Posted Sun 07 Feb 16 @ 10:24 pm
Hello! a question how to install skins from vdj 7 to vdj 8?

Posted Sat 05 Mar 16 @ 12:06 am
If you have VDJ 7 skins installed, then they will be available in VDJ 8. You don't need to do anything.

You can also download and install VDJ 7 skins from here (if you have the right license) and they will work in VDJ 8.

Posted Sat 05 Mar 16 @ 9:03 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)