Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Plugins

Topic: sampler playing looped videoclip NOT smooth but with a PAUSE? - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

I'm opening a new thread for this, because it may have a simple solution... at least I hope so! ;)

I have an animated logo for each theme night, prominently displayed before the show starts... and really need those to be "perfect", because that's all the people see until I start with my session. I've made a button to start and stop each animated logo looped sample, with a syntax like this:

<button action="toggle '$test' & var '$test' ? sampler_pad 'C:\test.mp3' & sampler_loop 'C:\test.mp3' on : sampler_pad 'C:\test.mp3'">

However, it does not give smooth loops: there's a pause when the end of the sample is reached.

Can anyone tell me why this is? I'm using the very same clips I used in VDJ7 and there the loops were seamless...

Posted Tue 26 Jan 16 @ 3:52 pm
Apparently, this is not a common problem.

Can any of the devs comment on why source material that provided a perfect loop in VDJ7 would not do so in VDJ8?

Posted Sat 30 Jan 16 @ 9:04 am
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
I'm assuming your logo isn't actually an mp3 file?

Have you tried opening the file in the sample editor, setting the loop points and saving it (thus creating a vdjsample)?

Posted Sat 30 Jan 16 @ 11:13 am
I have not. I will do so and get back to you. Thanks for the suggestion (still getting accustomed to the new features LOL)...

(Logo is an mp4 file)

Posted Sat 30 Jan 16 @ 11:58 am
Okay, so I loaded the clip into the sample editor, saved it (without changing anything), and the result was a seamless loop BUT now the entire video is "stuttering" (not a smooth playback)! So that's no solution... The clips themselves are seamless, so I cannot crop them any further. The problem really lies with the deck player of VDJ8, not with the file (which made seamless loops in vDJ7)...
Maybe you have any other ideas?

Posted Sat 30 Jan 16 @ 6:30 pm
Where do you see the stuttering? On your computer screen or on the external screen(s) of your show/venue?

Maybe try changing the skin redraw FPS rate?

Posted Sat 30 Jan 16 @ 6:40 pm
No, its not the skin. It's the video playback. The stuttering playback is on all screens.

Posted Sat 30 Jan 16 @ 6:57 pm
What's the size of these files??

I have some clips (animates logos) that are about 1gig and they will not play smoothly no matter what I did.

The only fix was to shrink them down to Mb.

Posted Sat 30 Jan 16 @ 7:45 pm
They're between 10 and 60 Mb...

And they play fine (stutterless) in any media player.

Posted Sat 30 Jan 16 @ 8:07 pm
Is there a way to play a clip continuously (looped from beginning to end) on a normal deck?

If so, then I could use that instead of the sampler (damn fine piece of software, the new sampler! It can play images, videos, sound files... But a bit disappointing in the "seamless loop" area...)

How would I write that magical piece of scripting code?

Posted Sat 30 Jan 16 @ 8:58 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
Could you try with the new early access release (2832) ?
It has some improvements for video sample playback.

Posted Sun 31 Jan 16 @ 8:27 am
I have early access updates enabled, so that I'm always on the latest version :)

CLIP INFO:
Format : MPEG-4 Format profile : Base Media / Version 2
Format profile : Base Media / Version 2 Codec ID : mp42
Codec ID : mp42 File size : 11.8 MiB
File size : 11.8 MiB Duration : 20s 0ms
Duration : 20s 0ms Overall bit rate : 4 966 Kbps
Overall bit rate : 4 966 Kbps Encoded date : UTC 2013-07-05 17:41:24
Format : AVC Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec Format profile : Main@L3.1
Format profile : Main@L3.1 Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, CABAC : Yes Format settings, ReFrames : 5 frames
Format settings, ReFrames : 5 frames Format settings, GOP : M=3, N=24
Format settings, GOP : M=3, N=24 Codec ID : avc1
Codec ID : avc1 Codec ID/Info : Advanced Video Coding
Codec ID/Info : Advanced Video Coding Duration : 20s 0ms
Duration : 20s 0ms Bit rate : 4 963 Kbps
Bit rate : 4 963 Kbps Width : 800 pixels
Width : 800 pixels Height : 600 pixels
Height : 600 pixels Display aspect ratio : 4:3
Display aspect ratio : 4:3 Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate mode : Constant Frame rate : 25.000 fps
Frame rate : 25.000 fps Standard : NTSC
Standard : NTSC Color space : YUV
Color space : YUV Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0 Bit depth : 8 bits
Bit depth : 8 bits Scan type : Progressive
Scan type : Progressive Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.414
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.414 Stream size : 11.8 MiB (100%)
Stream size : 11.8 MiB (100%) Language : English

Posted Sun 31 Jan 16 @ 9:26 am
Yeah, I guess it's one of those "vage" problems that could be due to anything, from hardware to software... I'll keep at it and let you know if and when I found the solution. You never know. Might be useful to someone someday...

Posted Sun 31 Jan 16 @ 7:05 pm
So you did try with 2832 already? (Your account shows the latest build used is still 2828)

Posted Mon 01 Feb 16 @ 6:30 am
So... I thought the program would update automatically and would always be at the latest version. That's the way I configured it:
CheckUpdates: yes
earlyreleaseUpdates: yes
There's no "update" button anywhere that I could see. How do i manually force the program to update?

Posted Mon 01 Feb 16 @ 8:53 am
New version doesn't change anything, I'm afraid... Thanks anyway, Adion.

Posted Mon 01 Feb 16 @ 11:04 am
Okay, so I noticed that the clips play well on the decks, so i gave up on the sampler and wrote this inside a deck container:

<button action="toggle '$DISCO' & var '$DISCO' ? off & load 'B:\Program Files (x86)\VirtualDJ\Media\DJ Corny\OVERLAYS\Disco.mp4' & play & loop 19900ms & over_video : stop & unload & over_video">

This will play the clip fine, but not looped.

The clip has a duration 0f 19,9 seconds. Anyone any suggestions as to the VDJscript syntax?

Posted Wed 03 Feb 16 @ 12:45 pm
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
Will it not loop seamlessly if you enable repeat_song?

Posted Wed 03 Feb 16 @ 2:09 pm
It was a good idea, Scott... and it's waaay better now, but there still is a tiny stutter (=pause) when the end is reached and the clip is repeated... Still, I cannot understand why the sampler would be so bitchy with video loops... A shame the old verb and clipbank effect cannot be used anymore :(

Posted Wed 03 Feb 16 @ 2:46 pm
Would it be possible to send me the loop you tried to play? Just curious if it will play smooth here or not.

Posted Wed 03 Feb 16 @ 5:28 pm
67%