Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Beat tapping

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hi folks,
still trying to get the hang of this software, not fond of playing it without more Ram, so I is having a few teething problems.
When I have the need to manually beat tap a tune(straight forward 4/4) I just end up leaving it totally *****d up! Any pointers/hints?

Cheers,
Liam

Posted Wed 08 Oct 03 @ 4:39 pm
HomeboyPRO InfinitySupport ManagerMember since 2003
Listen for a distinct instrument that plays throughout the entire track. Like a high hat or a drum. Tap to the beat of that. Most hip hop is around 89 - 110, 110 being more like reggae. Try to stay within these limits to accurately map the bpm. If you need assistance add me to your msn.

homeboy26@sympatico.ca

Posted Wed 08 Oct 03 @ 5:18 pm
Hullo,
thanks Homeboy, I know that. The majority of what I play is fairly standard progressive house, 4/4 beat style. I was just wondering if there were any wee tips that users have figured out and could pass on. With some tunes it's just impossible to align the "beatlock square" with the "spike" of the actual beat, therefore when you beatlock it sounds like a sub machine gun.

thanks,
Liam

Posted Thu 09 Oct 03 @ 7:49 pm
DJ RickPRO InfinityMember since 2003
OK, you sort of know when the reported bpm isn't accurate. Manual beat tapping is not an exact science. However, it will get the reported BPM fairly close... probably +/- a beat or 1.5 beats.
Pretty much I find that the tracks that require a manual beat tap.. you generally won't be able to use the beat lock feature. You load the song... cue it to the beat you want to start from, click the beat lock button to adjust the beat, then click it again to turn off the beat lock, then using the headphones, and your ears, make small adjustment in the pitch until you have lined it up manually. Listen for the right mix point, and fire away. Be prepared to make small pitch adjustments until the mix is completed. Then load the next track and repeat as needed.

Posted Thu 09 Oct 03 @ 8:20 pm
HomeboyPRO InfinitySupport ManagerMember since 2003
Excellent explanation Rick ! Are you watching me ! ? LOL Thats exactly what I do all night long. I mix alot more hip hop and rap so I am used to using this method....

Posted Thu 09 Oct 03 @ 11:09 pm
FruitPRO InfinityMember since 2003
You can also beattap a song, an then you see +/- the range of the bpm. After you change the bpm 0,1 by 0,1 while a loop is running, until your loop is perfect. Then you got the exact bpm.
Loop must be pretty long, as 8 or 16.
When you found the good bpm, you adjust the phase. With this method, you can beatlock all your songs and don't need these 'little adjustments' that take sometimes many f------ time.

Posted Sun 12 Oct 03 @ 12:09 pm
Thanks everyone.

Posted Sun 12 Oct 03 @ 5:58 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)