Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.0 Technical Support

Topic: Win 7 - VDJ 8 Beta build 2454 - VDJ application hang in automix - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

DHoudePRO InfinityMember since 2009
Last night I had another DJ operating my laptop at my own personal party. He is far less technical than me and could not tell me exactly what he was doing, so I realize he could be the issue. But he has a Mac, NS7 II with VDJ 8, so my Win 7, NS7 with VDJ 8 is not a far stretch to operate. Basically indicating that he is not a total Newbie. I also can't find a crash report. All I can say is he was in automix mode and using the second deck to preview tracks. Here is what I know

Leading up to this crash (before) my hadphones were not working because I had my Home (internal sound card) profile activated. So I closed VDJ to unload everything, set my NS7, clicked apply and he was off and running. So that was my fault, but I will say more on this in s few.

He started where he left off, which was crazy awesome that 8 saves all that! He called me back about 30 min later. VDJ was still playing music in Automix but Windows 7 had reported that VDJ 8 was not responding and wanted to close it. As we all know there is no way to recover from that except to close VDJ. So I did that, reopened VDJ and my sound card had reverted back to Home (internal sound card). Easy fix, but odd that this was not saved from 30 min ago.

I had been playing since 12 noon and this was about 8:30 pm. The laptop was in my garage and sun set about 1 hr earlier. It was low 80s (temp) out and I blow out my laptop fans and equipment. I even had a laptop fan below it. It was most likely not a heat issue.

The following is information I gathered from the Windows Event viewer.

Windows Error Reporting event
Fault bucket 50, type 5
Event Name: AppHangB1
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
P1: virtualdj8.exe
P2: 8.0.2454.0
P3: 55f705a6
P4: 6fee
P5: 0
P6:
P7:
P8:
P9:
P10:

Attached files:
C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Temp\WERFA21.tmp.appcompat.txt
C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Temp\WERFA22.tmp.WERInternalMetadata.xml

These files may be available here:
C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\AppHang_virtualdj8.exe_3a439b2ffbf8cb7bd4345c2cebb9fa09cf72f3_2a3b1c41

Analysis symbol:
Rechecking for solution: 0
Report Id: 4269bdb9-5f2e-11e5-957d-ac7ba11e01f8
Report Status: 0

The next Event was the Hang event:
The program virtualdj8.exe version 8.0.2454.0 stopped interacting with Windows and was closed. To see if more information about the problem is available, check the problem history in the Action Center control panel.
Process ID: 1af4
Start Time: 01d0f338990f10e8
Termination Time: 137
Application Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\VirtualDJ\virtualdj8.exe
Report Id: 4269bdb9-5f2e-11e5-957d-ac7ba11e01f8

DETAILS
virtualdj8.exe
1af4
01d0f338990f10e8
C:\Program Files (x86)\VirtualDJ\virtualdj8.exe
4269bdb9-5f2e-11e5-957d-ac7ba11e01f8
55006E006B006E006F0077006E0000000000

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Binary data:

In Words

0000: 006E0055 006E006B 0077006F 0000006E
0008: 0000

In Bytes

0000: 55 00 6E 00 6B 00 6E 00 U.n.k.n.
0008: 6F 00 77 00 6E 00 00 00 o.w.n...
0010: 00 00 ..

There was no logged events for 4 hrs before this and for 20 min after this. Just this Event and the Windows error reporting event. I hope this helps solve it. Let me know if you need anything else!

Posted Sun 20 Sep 15 @ 4:50 pm
PachNPRO InfinityMember since 2009
Changes in Soundsettings, or settings in general, are only saved permanent if VDJ is closing without an error.
If VDJ is crashing, you will loose all changes done before.

I never understood why the settings are not saved when leaving the config window.

Posted Mon 21 Sep 15 @ 8:35 am
;) soundls like a feature request!

Posted Mon 21 Sep 15 @ 9:03 am
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
PachN wrote :
Changes in Soundsettings, or settings in general, are only saved permanent if VDJ is closing without an error.
If VDJ is crashing, you will loose all changes done before.

That is exactly the reason why they are only saved on closing.
If you change a setting that makes vdj crash, it is not saved, and thus you can safely start vdj with the previous settings next time.

Posted Mon 21 Sep 15 @ 10:06 am
PachNPRO InfinityMember since 2009
You are still able to change the setting in the XML, or, if it's really such a big settings mistake, just delete the XML.
ShopDemoMode for example. Once set, even by mistake, you have to close VDJ and edit the XML with an editor.

Posted Mon 21 Sep 15 @ 12:38 pm
Hate to be a pest, but any idea how I can help get more information to track this issue down?

Posted Tue 22 Sep 15 @ 12:00 am
So I rolled back to Public build 2441 last night for the wedding and crashed twice. It seems as though this crash is when using Automix. It eventually just stops loading the next song and that is when the hang starts. Windows does not report VDJ as hung until you try to do something else to correct it. You can see in the second screen shot that deck 2 is in Automix and no second song loaded.

The Dinner music during this time is nothing new, stuff I commonly have played for years. The first hang was 7:01pm before this and I had been using Automix for about 1 hour. All of a sudden the music stopped but I had plenty in the list. When I checked out why VDJ was not playing, it was just hung but Windows did not bring up the error like you see in the 2nd screen shot below. I did not take a screen shot of the first one but Deck 2 was just like shown in the second screen shot. It had played out the top song and did not load a next song. That is when I tried to load deck 1 to get something playing, then the crash. Here was my history and I highlighted the song that VDJ crashed on the first time

This next one was during the second crash, just 7 min after the above screen shot was taken.

My party (that started this thread) was not a Video event and no plugins were running, but this time I was using Telly Media. I did not use Automix for the rest of the night and had no issues.

Posted Sat 03 Oct 15 @ 12:20 pm
Hi guys, I want to update to the latest VDJ 8 but want to track down this Automix crash first. That way we can test if it has been fixed. I have all my crash logs, screen shots, etc ready for whoever can help debug this.

I also ran the same set from history last night with no crash. Judging by the fact that it took 8 hrs the first time and 1 hr this time, I would say it may be random. I was also not doing anything to the computer at all for my first crash on 10/2/15. Please help

Posted Wed 07 Oct 15 @ 4:26 pm
I am getting fairly frustrated that no mods or devs have resoponded with help. I just crashed VDJ 8 build 2441 again tonight while testing. I was connected to the internet too. I also took video of the crash, please respond with who I can give the videos to.

So far now 4 crashes in Automix only Dan offered to help off someone else's VDJ 8 crash thread on Facebook.

Here is my screen shot once VDJ stopped playing music, but Windows has not reported it as hung yet. Not the "Remain time" on the left deck is -25 seconds. It got up to about -2 min before I tried to close VDJ. The deck would not stop and my video shows that. The Record for deck 2 on screen even kept spinning.

Posted Wed 07 Oct 15 @ 9:54 pm
So just got a a fifth crash. Here is how I seem to be able to do it (same sequence as wedding)

Load my dinner playlist in Automix
Hit shuffle once
Load deck 2 with Automix list song, press Play and then press Automix to add the next song - walk away and always, seems fine - This was cocktail hr
Come back later
Play something else on deck 1 (does not have to be full song). Stop deck 2 and turn off Automix - Leave Automix populated - This was wedding party intro step
Load another song in deck 2, play and fade in (does not have to be full song) - This was Bride and Groom intro step
Load another song in deck 1, play and fade in (does not have to be full song) - This was First dance step
Delete partial played song at top of Automix list - From cocktail her
Load next song from the Automix list to deck 2, Play, fade in and turn Automix back on - Back to dinner jazz step
Walk away and wait for eventual silence

Crashed twice that way today and twice during the wedding with Build 2441, about 10 min + after last step.

I just updated to new public Build 2465 to see if it is fixed. Testing now. Screen shot from 5th crash:

Posted Wed 07 Oct 15 @ 10:23 pm
Both times you can see that I took screen shots before Windows reported it as hung and forced me to close it. Crash #4 was especially weird as that was the first time I saw the Remain time go into negative numbers.

Both times I was connected to the internet, just like 10/2/15 crashes. Not sure if I have any reports... That is everything I know at the moment. I can send the videos and crash logs if someone can offer to help me here.

Posted Wed 07 Oct 15 @ 10:51 pm
Hey just crashed a 6th time this same way, only now with VDJ 8 Build 2465. it was just like the #4 crash where it kept counting into the negative. So now what? Uninstall and go farther back? Thing I will try swapping out the exe for build 2438 next.

Posted Wed 07 Oct 15 @ 11:04 pm
if the vdj crashes then re-opens on its own there will be a crash report if not nothing is sent.

when u get the not responding message and close the program nothing will be sent to atomix is my understanding.

Posted Wed 07 Oct 15 @ 11:13 pm
Yea, it does not seem like it would submit a crash report the way it is happening. But it really should be!

My crash is not reopening VDJ. VDJ just hangs, I take a screen shot of it looking like all is fine. But if I touch any buttons, the X close button, etc the screen goes pale white and Windows reports VDJ as hung and forces me to close.

Here is something I can add that I did not think of before. I just started messing around with Spout and Resolume. I had at one point before all the crashes set Spout Receiver as the Audio only visualization. I use to use Telly Media and will be again after testing tonight. With this as a possibility I think that my procedure above could be shortened. I think when I load a Music Video (my dinner list is audio only) I activate the video. Then when I go back to my Automix dinner list, those being all audio only, Spout will stat as the Audio Only Visualisation. But I am not using Spout or Resolume right now, so the main video out is just black. In all the screen shots.

I can also say that I have been running for 2 hrs on build 2438 with no crash. The crash has happend 3 times tonight, and took oly 40 min to 1 hr to reproduce each time. I am still running, with Spout still set as the Audio Only Visualisation. So the only thing I have done tonight is repeat the same steps with different VDJ 8 builds. So I guess build 2438 is the first stable build for Automix.

I will keep it running as long as possible tonight, but I think this is an Automix Regression bug starting with 2441. Possibly related to Video being active and/or Spout Receiver running as Audio Only Visualisation and possibly when not receiving anything because external apps are closed.

Wow that was allot of testing and typing. Devs? Mods?

Posted Thu 08 Oct 15 @ 12:51 am
Really thought I had it, but crashed about 2.5 hrs in on build 2438. So it is obvious that the above steps reproduce crashes. I have had 4 tonight using the same exact steps on different builds. 2438 did seem more stable by far.

When I found this crash I was actually going to turn VDJ off for the night and found that the next song in Automix had not loaded and deck 2 was still playing (had not gone silent yet). If I try to play deck 1, I could only get deck 1 to jump and immediately stop. If I try to play deck 2, deck 2 only cycles between slow play and normal speed. I could not get deck 2, to stop. I have a really good video of this and would love to send it to someone.

I guess my next step is to unload Spout Receiver as the active Audio Only Visualization and listen to hours more of smooth Jazz, lol.

Posted Thu 08 Oct 15 @ 2:01 am
If possible, try to see if you can still reproduce with 2483 beta.

The playlist was not at the end before it froze?

Posted Thu 08 Oct 15 @ 3:46 am
Well, I will can try the beta but first let me say I ran VDJ all night. This time with Telly Media set as the Audio Only Visualisation. Build 2438 ran the full set, 3+ hrs (played very quietly). I woke up in the middle of the night to check. No crash

I then updated to the latest 2465, again with Telly Media set as he Audio Only Visualisation. Stable so far. Almost done with a 3 hr set. No crash.

But you are correct, every time it froze, the play list was not at the end. Automix just stopped loading the next song. I will send you a link to the video by email. That last lock was crazy and the first time I really played with the controls during lock to see what happens. I did that all on a short video.

I did shorten my testing last night to just loading a music video to get the video window active, then flip to the other deck and start playing Audio only. Wondering at this point if it is a stability issue with Spout Receiver and Automix (or possibly the amount of audio songs played). Or is it because Spout Receiver was not receiving anything, because Resolume was not running and screen was black. I did see at one point deck 2 video screen unloaded, but deck 1 and main showed active. You can see that in my 6 th screen shot. Not sure how that can happen, but that would hint to a Spout crash.

Posted Thu 08 Oct 15 @ 10:54 am
Yes, I still crashed it with Beta 2483 and Spout set as Audio Only. --As a guess-- It seems to only be a problem where Automix makes multiple calls to Spout to start because of back to back Audio only songs on the same deck. I seem to remember similar instability problems at one point with Telly Media running as Audio Only Vis. I just feel like I remember Don warning us about this same Audio Only Vis issue for TM too where it was making multiple calls to the plugin to start, or not reporting correctly, or not stopping "cleanly". It really should be looked at from the VDJ side to see how that can be handled more "gracefully". In all my crash screen shots (during the crash) the Video deck 2 is empty. It should at least be black with Spout not being fed anything and video still active on deck 1 and main.

I will will try to find the old threads or discussions tomorrow. Been a long night. and I have to go to work in a few hrs. I have some time before my next show and up for running debug builds or something else. Seeing as how I remember similar issues with TM and Audio Only Vis, this may be a long standing issue that never got looked at.

Posted Fri 09 Oct 15 @ 7:54 am
It is only stopping to load the next song after a couple of songs in automix right?
If so it's strange why Spout seems to be causing it. If all the tracks are audio, then Spout is staying active on the automix deck without any start/stop or load/unload going on.

I tried with Spout Receiver as audio only visualisation but so far haven't been able to reproduce your crash.

Posted Fri 09 Oct 15 @ 2:24 pm
Last night with build 2483 I originally tried a shortened test and did not get a crash. So I recommend following the exact write up I had above. I will have to retest 2465 with TM, as I followed a shortened test there too (it was 3am). So this may very well still crash the same way with other plugins.

I may not have mentioned in the above write up that the individual songs loaded were all .mp4 video. But yes all Automix songs were audio only. Then at some point Automix does not load the next song.

It is not really every couple of songs either. More like time... Between 40 min to 1 hr. Sometimes faster and could be over 2 hrs

I did send a dropbox link to your email with the video of my last crash. You can see me trying different things after I discovered the Automix had stopped loading the next song. Would you like to see anything specific?

Also , I know it was a while ago, but I found that Audio Only Vis thread.
http://www.virtualdj.com/forums/194514/VirtualDJ_8_bug-report_Forum/Problems_with_Visualizations.html

Posted Fri 09 Oct 15 @ 4:11 pm
80%