Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Using the 4 deck skin with VDJ8 and a numark Mixtrack III

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I posted this thread on the Numark forum (link below) here is the meat of it .... I was able to custom Map the Pitch- and Pitch+ buttons to select deck 2 and deck 4 rightdeck (I don't use the buttons anyway I use the sliders) and I mapped the fx2 and fx3 buttons to select deck 1 and deck 3 leftdeck.(the only effect use is flanger on fx1) I just selected the button from the mapping list and edited the action line to read Deck x rightdeck or Deck x left deck, make sure before saving that the configuration read custom mapping before saving. I can always reset to factory default on the fly if necessary. Now I can manage 4 decks with only the controller, without needing to use a mouse. It works pretty slick, if a content unlimited song is taking awhile to load, I have 3 songs for it to load and I can toggle the left and right active decks using just the controller. YMMV

http://community.numark.com/numark/topics/using-mixtrack-3-with-4-decks-on-vdj8

Posted Thu 10 Sep 15 @ 6:03 am
Update to the previous post, I was able to Map the Pitch- and Pitch+ to toggle the right and left side decks on the 4 deck skin with the Mixtrack 3. The syntax for the mapping for the Pitch- key is var "shift" ? Deck 3 leftdeck : Deck 4 rightdeck and for the pitch+ key is var "shift" ? Deck 1 leftdeck : Deck 2 rightdeck. The end result the pitch- key selects Deck 4 and Shift+pitch- selects Deck 3 and Pitch+ selects Deck 2 and shift + Pitch+ selects Deck 1. I restored the fx keys to their factory mapping. If you want to run four deck you can do it using only the controller.

Posted Wed 16 Sep 15 @ 5:41 am
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
There are Pitch Bend buttons on both sides, right ?
So all you need it ..

Pitch Bend - : device_side 'left' ? deck 1 leftdeck : deck 2 rightdeck
Pitch Bend + : device_side 'left' ? deck 3 leftdeck : deck 4 rightdeck

Posted Wed 16 Sep 15 @ 9:41 am
I didn't know you could specify device side in the string, or I would have done it that way, I just thought using shift would use the fewest number of keys since i'm combining two functions into one key. I like it, I think I will try it out both ways, your solution is definitely more elegant, and easier to explain to a fill in using my gear. Thanks for the info!

Posted Wed 16 Sep 15 @ 5:36 pm
Pitch Bend - : device_side 'left' ? deck 1 leftdeck : deck 2 rightdeck
Pitch Bend + : device_side 'left' ? deck 3 leftdeck : deck 4 rightdeck

Can these be used just like this, or would I need to use var device_side 'left' ? etc?

Posted Wed 16 Sep 15 @ 7:00 pm
no var
device_side is a VDJ action/verb and requires a single deck/side parameter
So device_side 'left' will return true if the button is pressed on the left side and false if pressed on the right side.

For a single-side controller (or a controller with layered decks) we use the action ... action_deck x , where x is the deck number
E.g. for a CDJ we use .. action_deck 1 ? dothis : action_deck 2 ? dothat : action_deck 3 ? ... etc

Posted Wed 16 Sep 15 @ 7:02 pm
Makes sense to me. I will let you know how it goes!

Awe Thanks Dad (in my best 'leave it to beaver' voice)

Posted Wed 16 Sep 15 @ 7:15 pm
Boom! That works Perfect, thanks a million!

Posted Thu 17 Sep 15 @ 1:48 am
Could this be used for the original Numark Mixtrack as well just wondering?

Posted Thu 17 Sep 15 @ 5:16 pm
I would think, the midi mapping is all VirtualDj, the actions have to be written in VDJ script, the buttons have an action listed in the default midi mapping, you are just telling it a different action to perform when it gets pressed. If you get the correct syntax

Posted Thu 17 Sep 15 @ 6:04 pm

Posted Fri 18 Sep 15 @ 12:01 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)