Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Wedding DJs don't read this, it will scare you.................... - Page: 3

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

TVD UKPRO InfinityMember since 2007
Worth knowing.
I,m always paranoid of equipment failure, so i have two identical laptops, two amps, two mixers, and spare cables at every gig.

Will look at this profile thing too now.

With VDJ8 would it allow you to log in under new profile if it thinks you are already logged in? (assuming other copy is logged in on backup pc)
Confuses me as probably not if you don't connect to internet?

Maybe better having VDJ7 on other profile ( uses key not login)

Posted Wed 16 Sep 15 @ 6:06 pm
You can have VDJ open on your main and backup at the same time.

Posted Wed 16 Sep 15 @ 9:55 pm
Yes i know, but if your profile crashes, i assume you will still be logged in, thus preventing you logging in in again under a new profile. ( as you never logged out before it crashed)

Posted Wed 16 Sep 15 @ 10:03 pm
paulpa66 wrote :
Yes i know, but if your profile crashes, i assume you will still be logged in, thus preventing you logging in in again under a new profile. ( as you never logged out before it crashed)

Yep, that's what happened to me.

Posted Thu 17 Sep 15 @ 12:57 am
So if you have no wifi available this clearly demonstrates the login idea is not good. I found that making a backup of the license.dat enables it with no wifi, but not sure what that file reads, date/time/config or other.

Worked on my home pc copying it to the new profile

Posted Thu 17 Sep 15 @ 7:07 am
Wow.....................

Posted Mon 28 Sep 15 @ 5:51 am
@djsoulman

sorry if I did not read your post completely , I was confused by the fact that you posted that you had to use the managers phone and your ipod to keep the music going ?.

I work in IT support and I can confirm that corrupt user profiles are common, I come across around 5 a year and I only provide support for around 120 computers!

other posts on here are correct in saying don't delete the corrupt one, make a new user profile or use your admin/support/backup profile to log in , its normally only the registry profile that gets corrupt , you will normally find the users folder is still there with all your data in it, back it up before deleting the corrupt profile, generate a new profile with the same name and copy data back , and your al back to normal.

I have a kam player for backup with 3 usb sockets , one for each deck and a master , the deck sockets have 8gb drives in with a mixture of music 60/70/0/90/00, plus some dance and party classics, these drives never really get updated or removed , the master socket I plug my thumb drive into which basically has new music, special requests, first dance songs, latest jingles etc, this I update before each gig, I copy to my laptop, then stick it in the backup player. this means I always have enough on usb/kam to complete the night.

hope your all back to normal now !

Posted Tue 29 Sep 15 @ 9:52 am
kradcliffe wrote :
My Windows 8.1 machine goes in to Windows then VDJ in just over 10 seconds (mind you it has a fast SSD)

Even by Mac standards 4 minutes is shocking!

my gig laptop shuts down and reboots back to the desktop in 12 seconds, never timed it from a cold start, but its about the same,

I did get sloppy one night and arrived at I gig without my main gig laptop!, it was around half an hours drive away from home so not a big problem, I could have had it there by the time I had got the equipment set up.

I will point out now it was not a proper paying client just a friend , my partner had offered my services free of charge !, I had not done my normal pre gig sync and checks, so my backup laptop was about 2 weeks out of date as well.

I decided not to go back for my main laptop , instead I thought it would be a good opportunity to test my backup plans

started the night off playing from usb via the kam, while I got the pubs Wi-Fi key , and reconfigured the lappy for my mc6000, only took about 10 mins, and I was all running, the Wi-Fi was slow, but I soon had the current chart stuff from content unlimited, new requests from content unlimited were very flow to load, so I dropped the pub Wi-Fi and tethered to my phone , the 4g data was much faster!, to switch to my backup and back so seemless from the clients point of view.

so a couple of points to note here.......

never panic !

do your sync and backup before a gig even if its just a house party - its a reputation thing

test your backup plans. actually test them, go on do it now, choose a piece of equipment and ask yourself if that don't work whats the work around???

good luck all you super busy working dj's

Posted Tue 29 Sep 15 @ 10:27 am
To avoid this kind of troubles start REGEDIT.EXE and search for "VirtualDJ".... Change the Key "HomeFolder" to e.g. "C:\VirtualDJ" and move all the Files from the original HomeFolder to this folder.

Settings, Mappers, Playlists etc. now will be stored in c:\virtualdj and not in the users folder.

Posted Tue 06 Oct 15 @ 4:11 pm
Yes, ok for windows. But can you help me to do this on a mac? I want those files in my dropbox.

Posted Tue 06 Oct 15 @ 6:14 pm
^^^ I hate Macs.. over priced to say the least.. I have run VDJ on at least 12 PC's, most of them on there last legs.. have never had 1 problem. Fingers crossed it stays that way :-)

Posted Wed 21 Oct 15 @ 7:13 am
i have clone hard drives, on macs you can boot from external hd. BUT if the laptop just craps out i'm SOL unless i can borrow one quickly. Now that being said for mission critical situations i do connect my pioneer wego and ipad with the important songs downloaded. both controllers are hooked up to a small mackie mixer.

The wego/ipad is loaded with a song so besides a 2 sec silence and my look of horror it sounds like a crappy mix i just slapped on. Ive always wondered how i could have identical songs playing in case (mirrored) of system failure i can just crank up volume and no one hardly notices. (besides spending a bundle on identical setups)

Posted Wed 21 Oct 15 @ 3:23 pm
This may sound odd, but ALWAYS have a backup... This is where an SD card with music, AND a Linux MINT OS on it to boot from... As a fall-back, you can always boot that up and play your tunes manually. I'm not a wedding DJ, but am a wedding photographer and home DJ/mmixer/corpITguy... I'm not sure of what open source mixing software there is, but I bet it's easy to find.

Posted Fri 23 Oct 15 @ 8:35 pm
The issue you had with profiles and Windows 7 is fairly common, I've seen it a number of times. What they don't tell you is that many times the profile is not actually corrupt but rather Windows 7 was not able to load it so it is marked it in the registry as corrupt. Usually going in to the registry and re-enabling the profile will fix the problem quickly, I have had to do this to a number of Windows 7 computers (I'm also an IT tech). Here's the fix when that happens: http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/130095-user-profile-service-failed-logon-user-profile-cannot-loaded.html

Posted Sat 24 Oct 15 @ 4:29 am
Hey, wait a minute. Did you steal the secondary backup case that I keep in my van? I don't know shet about computers, except how to build them. However, I have been a DJ for a very long time. I agree with you 100%. There is no excuse for not providing your client with the services that they are paying you for. Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaait a minute AMAHM, what if you drop dead on the spot (a distinct possibility for me, actually for any of us). Well, that is an issue for me, as I usually work alone. No excuse. You should have an assistant push your body to the side, and bring the bride and groom in to the reception. All joking aside, I need to think about that.

Posted Mon 26 Oct 15 @ 9:06 pm
I'm surprised no one mentions Windows system recovery? That solves 99% of all problems (including this one, my brother had the same problem a few weeks ago).

Most of the time, I'm booked with my own drive-in-show and in that case I have a Denon HD 2500 as a backup system. It doesn't contain my complete collection, but it does contain a few thousand songs so I can get through most parties without any problems. Of course, I update this backup collection regularly.

Next to the HD 2500, I also have 2 USB sticks with the same collection for when I'm playing on someone elses equipment. I even carry around a few MP3 cd's with the same collection, but those haven't been updated for a while... if I don't know what kind of equipment is provided, I always throw my Numark Mixdeck in the van so I can always use that if the equipment at the venue can't play USB's.

Posted Mon 26 Oct 15 @ 9:09 pm
Adion wrote :
It would seem to me that one possible reason for this happening is hard drive corruption, so I would be careful and check the disk's SMART status and check disk results to see if the drive needs replacement before it would fail again.

Just a little update........ after several months since your prediction Adion I have recently had a complete system crash about 7-8 times in the space of a few hours (luckily not at a gig). The Applestore Guys tested it and found the S.M.A.R.T. status was showing the hard drive failing, yet, the onboard Apple Utilities showed a verified drive. I have tried several utilities which didn't show any fault and some that did.

I have now purchased a Samsung SSD 500gb and set that up with Carbon Copy Pro (it's quick lol). Currently having loads of trouble trying to clone the Bootcamp partition. Will probably use the Mac version of VDJ, but, will still Bootcamp eventually (probably redo from scratch).

Need to check on the warranty of the WD Blue, only had it fitted 28 months, should last longer than that surely. The new Samsung SSD has a 5 year warranty.

Posted Thu 17 Mar 16 @ 1:56 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)