Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Wedding DJs don't read this, it will scare you.................... - Page: 2

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

I am almost done, 1st trying to get a hold of someone at Virtual DJ almost impossible, been calling sending emails nothing. I am a member, been a member for a while. Wedding on Sunday, start trying to locate songs thru the VDJ library and every time I get this message saying, do you want to subscribe to unlimited content???? YEA I have been a member, suppose to already have this.. So I click on yes and get a error page, NOTHING.. I HAD TO REFUND $200.00 to the bride and groom because VDJ just shut down....SO I tried in the middle of the wedding to re sign up, joined the $20.00 a month club.. STILL HAVE NOTHING.. anyone can help because VDJ is not returning anything I send to them.. please email me at barbaddog@ yahoo.com

Posted Tue 08 Sep 15 @ 9:10 pm
VDJ RonPRO InfinityMember since 2010
This is way off topic.
Start a new thread, and post the same thing.
I think we will all try to help.

It will be interesting.
Open your mind, and try and learn.
People will come if your approach is respectful, reasonable, and logical.

Posted Tue 08 Sep 15 @ 10:19 pm
I also use a bootcamped MacBook Pro If I can make a couple suggestions ..... Wipe your hard drive and reinstall Mavericks Yosemite is slow on older macs Bootcamp it and make the database available on both sides My MacBook had the dvd drive in it which i removed and installed a second hard drive with Mavericks installed and a complete backup of the music If I want to boot from the backup drive I can hold the option key and choose to do so This gives me 3 ways to boot my Mac... Also with Mac you can fully backup and run maverick from an external hard drive I chose the MacBook because I can bootcamp and boot from either system

Also I have another Dj program installed in case vdj itself becomes corrupt .

Posted Wed 09 Sep 15 @ 1:21 am
J-SnipPRO InfinityMember since 2006
*GULP* I'll be creating another profile as you described. I too am using a Bootcamped MBP. I had a local computer shop bootcamp and install Windows 7 for me. It has not been on the internet since it has been in my possession. No windows updates, no antivirus, nada. Just VDJ and associated Pioneer, and Denon drivers. No issues so far *knocks on wood*.

Posted Wed 09 Sep 15 @ 4:47 am
Just a question. I run VDJ8 on a Macbook Pro. What is the advantage of running it on the Windows-site of a bootcamped Macbook?

Posted Wed 09 Sep 15 @ 7:04 am
There is no difference running vdj on the windows side vs the Mac side (other than some plug ins /effects) The benefit of being bootcamped is that you essentially have 2 laptops if something happens and one operating system becomes corrupt you can boot into the other operating system and play

Posted Wed 09 Sep 15 @ 7:36 am
NelumbLE userMember since 2013
A good solution for this kind of problems is to create a backup harddisk of the computer, you can "copy" it with ghost aplication (or similar) and carry always this harddisk copy with you.

If your computer crashes, you only need to use your screwdriver to change the harddisk.

Of course, you need to copy the harddrive habitually to maintain updated both harddisks.

This method let's you solve quickly software problems on your laptop, but not hardware problems with the laptop, carrying always a second laptop for emergences is a good idea.

Posted Wed 09 Sep 15 @ 10:38 am
djjohnnyrox wrote :
There is no difference running vdj on the windows side vs the Mac side (other than some plug ins /effects) The benefit of being bootcamped is that you essentially have 2 laptops if something happens and one operating system becomes corrupt you can boot into the other operating system and play

Then I would prefer running it on the rocksolid Mac side and take the windows side as a backup.

Posted Wed 09 Sep 15 @ 11:52 am
Nelumb wrote :
A good solution for this kind of problems is to create a backup harddisk of the computer, you can "copy" it with ghost aplication (or similar) and carry always this harddisk copy with you.
If your computer crashes, you only need to use your screwdriver to change the harddisk.
Of course, you need to copy the harddrive habitually to maintain updated both harddisks.
This method let's you solve quickly software problems on your laptop, but not hardware problems with the laptop, carrying always a second laptop for emergences is a good idea.

Solved not so quickly during a gig as you think. Apple does not intend for end users to upgrade the SSD in latest models themselves. Apple even has used uncommon "pentalobe" screws -five-point Torx screws - to discourage access. However, opening the whole MBP is possible with the correct screwdriver, the model of SSD difference for each model of retina-laptop and is not the standard one other laptops have.

Posted Wed 09 Sep 15 @ 11:59 am
Nelumb wrote :

So, you're at a wedding, the couple have cut the cake with all the photographers snapping away. Then, move the table with cake off the dance floor, the couple are now in the middle of the dance floor and you've announced that they are going to do 'their first dance'. Press play on your controller and................... nothing!

Do you casually start rummaging through your toolbox for a special screwdriver and start to dismantle your computer. Next, start looking around for your 'handy spare hard drive'. Meanwhile the couple are waiting on the dance floor to start 'their first dance'. How long does it take to change the hard drive then reboot the computer, bring up the software, find the tune required and load it. Somehow I don't think you have grasped working in a 'live' environment let alone a wedding lol.

Posted Wed 09 Sep 15 @ 1:58 pm
Obviously you're not going to change your hard drive while at a wedding.... Another option is to have an external hard drive, use a program called carbon copy cloner which will make an exact copy of your Mac hard drive, and you can boot your mac from it. Once you've made the backup, when you start your mac, hold the option key and select the external, it will run slower than the internal hard drive, but it is another option to think about

Posted Wed 09 Sep 15 @ 2:04 pm
djjohnnyrox wrote :
Obviously you're not going to change your hard drive while at a wedding....

With my dell it is possible to change the harddrive and start up again in less than 3 minutes. I made a copy of my harddisk with SHARKOON QUICKPORT XT DUO CLONE and Acronis Trueimage. You can acces the HD from outside with one scew. I once had a failure during a presentation for my work in a clients meetingroom, and I was busy again in a few minutes. The idea is more than ok, but not with the MBP.

Posted Wed 09 Sep 15 @ 2:27 pm
I have 2 user profiles on the PC side of my boot camped Mac, I have the option of switching to the Mac version. I have an SD Card System that can be DJed from and I also have an iPod connected to the mixer constantly playing a full nights recording as a last resort backup.

Think I'm pretty well covered for backup.

The corrupt user profile on the PC side was unexpected, never ever heard of it before. Did the full night with the Mac version.

Hopefully this tale has helped PC users that haven't experienced a corrupt user profile.

Posted Wed 09 Sep 15 @ 2:28 pm
Hi guys,

Obviously, the moment is not just in the first dance moment..., but if you can play some cd, mp3 or tracklist in a player (ipod, etc...) you can perform this change in only 5 minutes, only need to unscrew the harddrive, put the backup and power on the computer, it's not so hard to do... At least in PC based computers, I understand that Apple uses some ways to difficult this actions.

I thought that this problem happened to you not just in the critical moment (sorry, my english is not good enough... ;) ), so It's better to perform this action in the moment that you're starting to set the stage (when you're opening the laptop). Imagine... you're arriving, opening the laptop and... wow! you obtain an error with the profile or with the O.S., then change the harddisk and continue with your work without problem. If this happens in the middle of the session then the way is to play from other source meanwhile you replace the harddisk.

My controller is also a standalone mp3 player, I always use pendrives for this kind of sessions and of course; I performed weddings and another kind of events. Thanks god I never had problems like yours. But I use the standalone function of my controller for this kind of events in the most cases.

Posted Wed 09 Sep 15 @ 3:13 pm
djjohnnyrox, do you know if this program is also available for PC based computers? I never heard it and looks interesting...

Posted Wed 09 Sep 15 @ 3:18 pm
Acronis makes a program for cloning PC hard drive

Posted Wed 09 Sep 15 @ 3:26 pm
I mean carbon copy cloner software, I use Acronis in these cases when Ghost does not detects the usb drives, etc... ;)

thanks

Posted Wed 09 Sep 15 @ 3:31 pm
1vjdeePRO InfinityMember since 2012
I had a similar issue last weekend... setting up for a gig plugged in the hdmi lead into my dell inspiron i7 15se.. and my screen started to stobe in colour.. turned out the second graphics card burned out.. I switched to a vga lead and went on the the gig... I have a a inspirion 15 se i5 as back up but need a new primary machine... a lot of ye guys use mbp... with about a €1.300 budget I can pick up a i7 2.5gh mbp with 512 ssd and 1gb graphics.. is this the way to go ?

Posted Wed 16 Sep 15 @ 12:59 am
VDJ RonPRO InfinityMember since 2010
"Acronis makes a program for cloning PC hard drive"
I've used this for years, it has never let me down.

VDJ seems better suited to a Windows laptop, and Asus seems to be a favoured brand.

I hate the Apple bu@ls=t.
It's too expensive, and its users still have major problems.
I see that in this forum all the time.

Instead of the Apple logo I display on the front of my laptop the Shure stick on logo which comes with a new SM58.
That's good enough for me.

With the introduction of VDJ8 I would now be prepared to replace that with the VDJ8 logo.
I would not have done that for VDJ7.
Hm I must find out where I can buy a suitable VDJ8 sticker.

Posted Wed 16 Sep 15 @ 1:03 pm
bigron1 wrote :

I hate the Apple bu@ls=t.
It's too expensive, and its users still have major problems.
I see that in this forum all the time.

Maybe with 7, but VDJ8 runs very smooth without problems, on my MBP and windows machine. Did you count the users and their problems?
There are less plug-ins for Apple than Windows, that's the main difference.

Posted Wed 16 Sep 15 @ 5:02 pm
70%