Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: VP6 Codec help

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I have some avi videos which were encoded with the VP6 codec. Previously with K-Lite before Windows 7 I was able to play these with out a problem. After Windows 7 several years ago I've been unable to play them. I even downgraded to an older version of K-Lite which played them on a separate Vista machine back in the day.
I've googled and tried a bunch of "Converters" with no luck. Has anyone out there had any success working with these AVI VP6 files? Any advice? TIA!

Here is an example of one of these...
https://www.dropbox.com/s/b1qp51t7j45y9m9/Trick%20Daddy%20-%20Take%20It%20To%20Da%20House%20%28video%29.avi?dl=0

Posted Mon 25 May 15 @ 2:00 am
i was able to play you demo file in windows media player with this codec -> https://www.dropbox.com/s/tp8whqqb2cdu7dw/vp6_decoder.exe?dl=0

the video quality is not good at all .... also these will not play in vdj8 without conversion ... you will need a conversion program that utilizes installed codecs or a program that comes with that codec..

my opinion is these files would not be useful for playback for a crowd since the video quality is very bad

Posted Mon 25 May 15 @ 9:07 am

Posted Mon 25 May 15 @ 9:16 am
Thanks for your reply. Did you have to change any settings in the vp6 codec? Also what OS are you using. I'm using Win 8.1 64 with no luck.

The converter program is only giving me the audio BTW...
Also tried I the Anusoft converter as well as other converters on the older pc (Vista 32) where the videos play with no luck either.

Posted Mon 25 May 15 @ 3:30 pm
i didn't test that converter i just seen it supposed to support vp6 codec and i thought it could help you out.

i am on windows 7 64bit .. all i did was install the codec i uploaded to dropbox then played the video in windows media player ... i didn't change anything about the file or any settings in the codec it just worked.

Posted Mon 25 May 15 @ 8:59 pm
I wonder why it didn't work for me. Maybe that codec is conflicting with something in K-Lite

Posted Tue 26 May 15 @ 3:59 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)