Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: DJ James Bond - Page: 2

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

VDJ RonPRO InfinityMember since 2010
"using an EMP"

It looks fairly easy.
It should be possible to match its output power to range.
You would not want to blackout a city LOL, but a small radius, say 10-20ft.
Cables might amplify the pulse.

Where's James?

Posted Mon 27 Apr 15 @ 2:24 pm
TD, a beer all over the equipment is not really a problem. They will not be able to say computers are unstable, and are no good for professional dj's under those circumstances. The point is to make the dj look incompetent, and his equipment rubbish. Anyway I expected a problem on the second occasion, and was ready.

Note: If the big boys start using computers then you will not be able to get anywhere near the likes of Guetta with a beer.
At some point in the future they will start using software like VDJ, Serato, and Traktor.
Pioneer can try to hold back the tides of the sea, but they will fare no better than King Canute.

Posted Mon 27 Apr 15 @ 2:35 pm
Mr Jackson, your USB cable / ferrite ring thing looks spot on.

Here is an interesting link.
http://audiosystemsgroup.com/SAC0305Ferrites.pdf

My usb cables don't have ferrite rings, or chokes.

Another vulnerable point is an external controller power supply with a long low voltage @12dc supply cable.
Would you attach a ferrite ring to a low voltage power supply cable?

Now I know why an external power supply looks a little amateurish, they have a long low voltage cable, as opposed to very short internal wires.
The new Pioneer ddj-sz has an internal "power supply" to drop the mains voltage down to that used by the electronics.

Posted Mon 27 Apr 15 @ 2:48 pm
Tear Em 'UpPRO InfinitySenior ModeratorMember since 2006
Using the external power supply is designed to keep the load off your PC. USB outputs have a small current running through them to power the devices LEDs and such. The few controllers I've owned that came with an additional power option worked 100x better when it was put to use.

Posted Mon 27 Apr 15 @ 8:00 pm
bigron1 wrote :

Another vulnerable point is an external controller power supply with a long low voltage @12dc supply cable.
Would you attach a ferrite ring to a low voltage power supply cable?

A powersupply cable is fed from a low-impedance source (the output of the supply) and are more robust from external threat compared to USB cables.
But, those powersupplies used are today always switchmode powersupplies which could be the source of RF itself.
Therefore a ferrite on those could dampen out powersupply generated RFI and save the other equipment from it.

Posted Mon 27 Apr 15 @ 11:52 pm

Posted Tue 28 Apr 15 @ 9:50 am
Actually, it's hard to know before testing if the USB cables are high quality or not.
I went for the best I could find in our local shop, it was gold plated, well seated USB cables of 1.5 metres. Could actually do with less length.
I use a strap-on ferrite block, and wrap one turn of the USB cable inside it, to increase inductance and shielding effect.

Posted Tue 28 Apr 15 @ 10:11 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)