Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: DJ James Bond - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

VDJ RonPRO InfinityMember since 2010
Not quite, but can an internet free laptop be attacked, by say an enemy electromagnetic wave?
Possibly a pulse from some form of powerful phone?
Mr. Paranoid strikes again!
I do have reasons to wonder.

Posted Tue 14 Apr 15 @ 2:56 pm
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
Yes it can what you need is a tin foil hat for both you and your computer.

Posted Tue 14 Apr 15 @ 5:32 pm
LOL
I just hope the Russians don't declare war on my laptop.

Posted Tue 14 Apr 15 @ 6:01 pm
You do realize that they are watching you, right?

Posted Wed 15 Apr 15 @ 11:28 am
let them watch. as long as they fear.

yes you can be subject to an EMP device and yes the plans to make them are available.
but the odds of someone making one and using it directly at you are about the same as Jessical Alba finding me "Hot".

Posted Wed 15 Apr 15 @ 3:02 pm
Tear Em 'UpPRO InfinitySenior ModeratorMember since 2006
Jessica would have to find you first Wild. We all know, since the restraining order went through, she can't even be within 1000 feet of you.

Posted Wed 15 Apr 15 @ 6:10 pm
I know. she just wouldn't take no for an answer and I had to do it.
women who go hunting ugly guys. tonight on Geraldo.

Posted Wed 15 Apr 15 @ 6:25 pm
I don't think you all gave this post the attention it deserved.
Tin foil hats?
If you look at your innocent mobile phone then you will notice it has a switch with which to turn off all radio activity, its called flight mode.
What is the threat to a sophisticated large aircraft?

My system is very stable, yet around 5 years ago a guy turned up at one of my regular events, he did come up on stage requesting a shout out, showed a lot of interest in my system, but touched nothing, a little later that night my system crashed. About a year later he reappeared, the system crashed, but I was ready with my backup system! That's a big coincidence, but anyway I'm always ready to reboot my system should the rare need arise.

There are some very clever, and sly people in our world.
A significant venue promoting alternative superior computer based technology is a major threat to the old DJ establishment.

Posted Sat 25 Apr 15 @ 7:22 am
"mobile phones and other devices that send or receive signals is generally prohibited due to the common belief that they can potentially impact aircraft avionics"
Aircraft avionics equals electronic systems in an aircraft.
DJ's use electronic systems!?

The thing is that electronics use a remarkably low voltage power supply, often 12v DC or less. A system signal might be tripped by a much lower voltage. There is a relationship between a magnetic field, a conductor, and a current being induced. So whilst a13 amp 240v power supply might be immune, an electronic system might be vulnerable, and particularly a sensitive computer.

I'm unsure how modern aircraft maneuver their flight controls. Fly by wire, as opposed to mechanical links were just coming in when I was involved. I take it that wires carry a low voltage signal to the hydraulic flight control actuators.

I'm looking for comments from specialized electronic engineers.
Oh..and I was trained as a stupid old mechanical engineer.

Posted Sat 25 Apr 15 @ 9:17 am
I have been around designing electronics for living the last 15 years, in the field of pro audio.
All our products must of course pass a standardized test signal of RF applied to the unit under test.
This is to detect how immune the system is for incoming radiated RF.
The unit must not die, must not behave weird, though it's acceptable the unit's THD, noiselevels slightly increase during the test, but it should never fail or crash.

Posted Sat 25 Apr 15 @ 10:22 am
Interesting.
I was wondering what say a pack of 10, or 20 mobile phones emitting a simultaneous signal in a close proximity to a computer would do?

Posted Sat 25 Apr 15 @ 10:30 am
apparently nothing because with everyone all over social media while they're at the club (and sitting at tables directly below my booth less than 3 -4 feet through the wall) there has been no effect over the years.
10-20 phones? try 50 or 60 all within 50-100ft all on texting, on social media, and staying linked with various services.

Posted Sat 25 Apr 15 @ 3:33 pm
Now that is good news.
I know nothing of the magnitude of an RF signal. and its effect on a computer.
Mind you the aircraft thing still worries me.

Posted Sat 25 Apr 15 @ 9:06 pm
Aircraft electronics is known to be "old" speaking well proven stuff. Rumours say about ten years proven technology on ground will be used in the aircraft.
There are no innovations first applied to aircraft, for obvious reasons.
The impact of a aircraft system "hang" or severly affected by RF is of course worse than a home PC crash in the living room or even a DJ going silent.
You should not take any chances in an aircraft.

Posted Sun 26 Apr 15 @ 11:09 am
Another critical area is the heart pacemaker. The precautions to defend a pacemaker from external electro magnetic effects, and hence a persons life are well defined. It is basically a pulse generator which I feel sure is similar to some components of a computer.
Advice to people fitted with pacemakers includes avoiding putting mp3 payer headphones near their chest.
There is a threat..although it may be minimal.
I see my music as being mission critical.
Just in case anyone thinks I'm putting down computer based music, cd's are ridiculously prone to damage.

Posted Mon 27 Apr 15 @ 6:44 am
PachNPRO InfinityMember since 2009
If he was really using an EMP, all electronic devices would have instantly died. Including his phone he was probably carrying.

But just for your interesse, it's not impossible to build such a thing at home.
http://www.wikihow.com/Build-an-EMP-Generator

Posted Mon 27 Apr 15 @ 8:36 am
If I remember right vdj just froze, and a reboot solved the problem on both occasions. I think they may be the only times when vdj has failed, and then I think it was a hardware problem. I can't remember when I started optimizing my laptop for vdj, its been awhile. I shut everything which isn't needed down, even the onboard sound card. I suppose one day the laptop will break, but that won't be Atomix fault.

Posted Mon 27 Apr 15 @ 9:01 am
I use strap-on ferrite blocks on sensitive communication, like my HC4500 controller USB cable.
I also use the HC4500 soundcard and with some bad luck and excessive interference around the booth I would not be surprised if it could blast the USB communication out and make it freeze.
I made some experiments with an excessively long USB cable between PC and HC, of around 7-8 metres, it did not work.
After I bought a new fresh gold-plated USB cable with good shielding and my ferrite blocks , not a glitch has occoured!

Posted Mon 27 Apr 15 @ 12:05 pm
Mr Jackson, that sounds about right. I believe the two freezes were due to the controller soundcard losing its connection with my laptop. The usb cable might have acted as a receiver, and distorted the signal.

So we can suppose that your solution, a top quality usb cable, and a ferrite ring might offer the required protection.

At some point in the future really good, I mean the top DJ's might use VDJ, and they cannot take any risks.
In front of 20,000 people, or more, it's mission critical.

Posted Mon 27 Apr 15 @ 12:57 pm
But whatcha gonna do when that guy, who made a request over an hour ago that you have yet to play, comes up and dumps his beer on your controller? This is more likely than an EMP attack on the DJ. And a reboot is not going to fix it.

Posted Mon 27 Apr 15 @ 2:09 pm
74%