Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Plugins

Topic: A web-kit plugin

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Is it possible to create a web-kit plugin for displaying HTML content in VDJ video window? There's a great lack of the video and graphic effects in this software, html5 and css3 could help to display various effects. It's already possible to do it, over the IWall and TellyVisuals plugin, but it's a little bit complicated.

http://s12.postimg.org/6wy591vhp/iwall.jpg

Posted Fri 13 Mar 15 @ 3:45 pm
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
Nothing to stop a 3rd party developer from doing this if the demand is there.

Posted Sun 15 Mar 15 @ 12:31 pm
I've been in touch with a few of them, some of them politely refused, and some of them got burned in all the glory... Creating a text messaging or graphic effects plugin is pointless, it all ends up in obsolete looking stuff, but if someone could make a web-kit plugin, users could use a propriate technology. Scott, I'm not pointing at you, just thinking it could be builded into the software. Cheers...

Posted Sun 15 Mar 15 @ 1:44 pm
Does it really need to be in the video window, or do you just need it to display on a second screen?

I mean, you could open your normal web browser on screen #2 and load a HTML file/page that was stored on the computer.

Posted Sun 15 Mar 15 @ 2:38 pm
Well, yes I could... But, you're missing a point. Do you really need a plugins for Twitter, Facebook and whatever if there's a plugin that can surf all over the net? Imagine all those css3 font effects on your video screen, grabbing posts from all imaginable social media services, photo sliders reaching all yours and visitors pictures from cloud,... And you could design it all by yourself, not to beg someone to put this or that in some restricted plugin...

Posted Sun 15 Mar 15 @ 4:05 pm
HTML5 has come a long way for sure and with a lot of flexibility. One problem you run into right off with it though is normal users cannot design new layouts easily. It cannot display most video formats. For example, if you want to display the emoji emoticons, this is not at all easy even for someone experienced with HTML. It is also a bigger consumer of memory and CPU. You can go right to the iWall site and see these kind of questions are already being asked. https://iwall.uservoice.com/forums/137682

While TV layouts are not as flexible as HTML5 is, it offers and easy way for normal users to create layouts. HTML5 will never be able to do what is planned for TV (or most users will never be able to it if using HTML5), but TV needs to be more flexible in layout design. TV was intended to be have a script language from the get go but I was never given the go ahead on it. I could do some XML or even a subset of HTML but with that you have the odd link of JavaScript with HTML. In the use case of TV and to get the most power easily, it seems best to me to encapsulate all this into a single script language that lends itself to WYSIWYG style display.

I used to embed HTML into programs years ago and thought well this is the future. Sometimes a general way like this is good and sometimes you keep bumping heads with the limitations of this generalized approach. When you start to mix layout, video, messaging, karaoke, etc. you can start to run into these limitations with HTML5 easily. To see that, all you have to do is try and design something that works with iWall with all these components. You need to go thru the process to answer the questions for yourself.

Posted Mon 16 Mar 15 @ 8:53 am
Don, you know that I respect you and all your work on VDJ plugins, and there are others users happy to use them... It's simple, working... What else should a decent DJ ask for? I'm tryin' to get something different, something like a flash ;-), but a lot easier. There's no need for video, audio, etc. Your plugin covered it all over. But, you can't upgrade you plugin all over again for some new, fancy stuff. and users should make it unique looking for themselves. Cheers...
P.S. Did you know that I've made my own karaoke format, in JS? Dude, you've been so rude...

Posted Mon 16 Mar 15 @ 10:49 am
Yes if you want to keep it very basic HTML will be fine. Now try and find someone who is going to do that for free that's worth a damn and offer full support for VDJ.

Please point us to your karaoke JS.

By the way I think you do have ideas WJ and I have told you that before and for sure you should post your ideas without trying to limit discussion of them. I am just trying to point out some realities of things. Most things like this can become very time consuming processes and then you have to look at the eventual user issues that will occur.

I am trying to keep things civil WJ and no need for name calling.

Posted Mon 16 Mar 15 @ 11:18 am
No, I won't.

Posted Mon 16 Mar 15 @ 11:43 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)