Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.0 Technical Support

Topic: Serato HotCue Import is not exact enough.

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Serato HotCue Import is not exact enough.

The timeSTAMP seems to be correct (44.2) but the position inside the waveform is not 'on the beat' as in SDJ. This happens with all my files (mp3 cbr)
look:

Posted Sat 06 Dec 14 @ 9:36 am
workaroung till fix:
shift_all_cues -40ms & adjust_cbg +0,086

Posted Sat 06 Dec 14 @ 2:15 pm
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
Nice one DjNice, I'm interested in where the discrepancy is thought, serato cues are logged in milli seconds (loops to 1/4ms) so 40ms seems like lot
CBG is a different ball game, it's in the VEOB tags but I don't think V8 reads it.

Look at us, 40ms, under UK electrical regs that's the safe time limit for a 230V electrical shock.

*edit* Hold on a (milli) second, scratch wave with CBG is a user work around there's a good chance that it's a skinning error, check the default skin.

Posted Sat 06 Dec 14 @ 2:40 pm
Where's this tool at??

Posted Sat 06 Dec 14 @ 3:36 pm
its not a tool. its an option inside VDJ
@locodog
The CBG will be moved automaticly with the cue shift value

Posted Sat 06 Dec 14 @ 4:54 pm
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
Yep I'm well aware shifting all cues moves the CBG (the first beat is a cue, that's why it happens)
But I don't think the work around is correct or needed, here's why.

shift_all_cues -40ms, this is a constant, 40ms is always going to be constant (let's ignore Einstein's theory for now)
& adjust_cbg +0,086, CBG isn't a constant because beats aren't a constant and you're moving it by a number of beats.

what works for House won't work for drum & bass,

I honestly don't think the serato decrypting is at fault here. I think it's a skinning issue.
That skin has a scratch wave with a CBG
Look a this picture, this is what you get if default wave (100% zoom) and scratch wave (100% zoom) (default skin, the same track untouched)

Testing with 1/32th loops tells me the scratch wave is the most accurate. what the default wave is showing on the first 1/32th I don't know but it isn't audible.
So the skin maker has mashed 2 bits of skin elements together and as the picture shows put side by side (as the maker has done from the centre line) default and scratchwave do not line up. If there's a bug at all here it's in the skins.
I could bore you to death about serato cues being stored in base64, measured in milli seconds, trust me the decoding is spot on

Posted Sat 06 Dec 14 @ 10:34 pm
sometimes we need to trust our ears more then our eyes :-)

Posted Sun 07 Dec 14 @ 7:22 am
wickedmix wrote :
sometimes we need to trust our ears more then our eyes :-)

100% agree on that, depending on the night I dj - you can see me actively using pitch bend or nudge to match the beats because the sync button (yeah I use sync bitches! :) ) isn't syncing correctly even when it's the same song with the exact same cue points. To be honest though it does remind me of djing with vinyl for 20 years where you had to 100% do it by ear, so for me it's no big deal, but for new Dj's and digital only DJ's I can see it being more of an issue......maybe

Posted Sun 07 Dec 14 @ 2:34 pm
I tag all my .mp3's individually, so I've taken to using Serato to adjust the auto-MIK tags (which works really well now that Serato have finally added their equivalent of 'seek +16'). All that effort, and still sometimes it's off by 40-50ms . It's been 10 months - is it possible for this to be solved by now?

As it is, I've resorted to having 4 custom buttons mapped to

shift_all_cues -45ms & reanalyze
shift_all_cues -5ms & reanalyze
shift_all_cues +5ms & reanalyze
shift_all_cues +45ms & reanalyze

But when mixing quickly, I don't always have time to zoom in and check the cues have been loaded properly. One thing I've found though, is analysing for BPM BEFORE loading the track seems to make it more likely to load the cues successfully.

Posted Wed 28 Oct 15 @ 7:48 am
hello can someone tell me how exactly to import my hotcues from serato DJ to VDJ 8? Where is the option and what is CGB ?

Thanks for replies

Posted Mon 14 Nov 16 @ 5:12 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)