Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Wishes and new features

Topic: Automatic Database Backups

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Have VDJ backup the database after a certain amount of launches.

Posted Fri 01 Aug 14 @ 1:20 pm
FruitPRO InfinityMember since 2003
+1

Posted Fri 01 Aug 14 @ 1:23 pm
taylaPRO InfinityMember since 2007
Excellent idea.

Posted Fri 01 Aug 14 @ 2:16 pm
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
It would save me a job +1

Posted Fri 01 Aug 14 @ 2:43 pm
+1

Posted Sat 02 Aug 14 @ 6:08 pm
+1

Posted Tue 02 Sep 14 @ 4:17 am
lincol2PRO InfinityMember since 2011
+1

Posted Wed 03 Sep 14 @ 9:34 am
+1

Posted Wed 03 Sep 14 @ 2:35 pm
PachNPRO InfinityMember since 2009
+1

and please implement this as an optional feature with variable values, such as date and time or amount of launches until the backup is done.

Posted Thu 04 Sep 14 @ 8:36 am
Dodge57PRO InfinityMember since 2009

Posted Wed 08 Oct 14 @ 5:52 am
Inspired by the batch file Dodge57 created I sat down and wrote another little tool for backing up the VDJ data.
The tool does not only save the C:\.... database.xml, it saves everything related to VDJ to a given path and creates a nice little zip.

The Zip then may look like this:

DatabaseBackup_20141010_1153.zip (<--- format is yyyyMMdd_HHmm*)
-- driveC
---- VirtualDJ
------Skins...
------Mappers...
------ database.xml
(...)
-- driveM
---- VirtuaDJ
------ folders...
------ database.xml

So what does the application do?

1. It checks if there is his settings file called "DatabaseBackupSettings.xml". If not, it will be created. This file is always located in the same directory the application is executed. The "DatabaseBackupSettings.xml" basically just contains the path to where the backup zip will be stored. It's default path is "C:\VdjBackupDatabase". Once the file was created (after the tool run once) you could open the xml with an editor and change the path to your needs. (Maybe to a folder on your NAS, or your Dropbox folder or sth.)

2. Now all drives are being collected and
3. runs through all drives and checks for the "VirtualDJ" folder. If it was found it is copied to a working directory called "temp" which will be created inside the path stored in the DatabaseBackupSettings.xml. So for the default path "C:\VdjDatabaseBackup" a new directory "C:\VdjDatabaseBackup\temp" will be created.

4. After every "VirtualDJ" folder was copied to the "temp" directory. All datas within these directory will be zipped and the zip will finally be in the directory given in the settings.xml.

5. After the work is done, the "temp" directory will be deleted.

6. The name and structure of the Zip is like the above "diagramm". It will contain 1 ore more folders called "drive" + the drive letter. So you could distinguish between the "VirtualDJ" folders.
Note: The zipping may take some time, depending on the amount and type of files to be zipped.

This is the first version of the tool, so there could be some bugs in it. I've given it to some german users to test it. If you are interested in testing PM me and I will give you a download link.

After the testing is over, I will try to get it to the Addons page for everyone to use.

*yyyy = year, MM = month, dd = day, HH = hour, mm = minute

Posted Fri 10 Oct 14 @ 6:05 am
What operating systems will this run on? Will it work on XP?

Do you have to run it manually or does it schedule a backup?

Posted Fri 10 Oct 14 @ 6:59 am
It's written for Windows and should work on XP (as long as .NET Framework 4 or higher is installed).

You could run it manually or use the windows function for scheduled tasks, then it will start automatically ;)

Posted Fri 10 Oct 14 @ 7:14 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)