Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Wishes and new features

Topic: Skin update notification

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I've just had a brainwave!

As VDJ 8 does some online checks when it's run now, there ought to be a way of notifying us if any skins we're using have been updated.

Since the release of 8, skinners have been regularly updating their skins and posting the info in their thread within the skins forum - but users will only be aware of those updates if they regularly visit the skins forum and check the threads for every skin they have (or keep checking the downloads page).

It would be nice to have VDJ check the installed skins against the web site and at least notify us of updates. Better still if there was an option to automatically update the skins.

This is how Wordpress works. When you log in, WP checks the installed themes to see if any updates have been released since you last logged in.

Posted Tue 08 Jul 14 @ 12:05 pm
FruitPRO InfinityMember since 2003
+1

Good idea !!

Posted Tue 08 Jul 14 @ 12:12 pm
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
Can't use it here but still +1

Posted Tue 08 Jul 14 @ 12:48 pm
locodog wrote :
Can't use it here

There's an easy solution to that one..........
:-)

Posted Tue 08 Jul 14 @ 1:31 pm
After brainstorming a bit, I think it would be a huge and fastidious (and ressource eating) process,

So it could be at least a verification of the CURRENT skin, not all. So il would search and tell us if there's a new version only when changing skin (and at start up for current skin).

Posted Tue 08 Jul 14 @ 2:07 pm
I thought that (if not a check when starting) there could possibly be a "check for updates" button in the skin config screen that checks the highlighted skin.

Posted Tue 08 Jul 14 @ 3:51 pm
'Check for skin updates now' on a option would be least intrusive.

And I'm not paying for a beta, they almost had my money but the sampler not recording to slots means it will probably be 8.1 before I spend.

Posted Tue 08 Jul 14 @ 8:44 pm
LOL are you kidding ? Do you think you would pay for v8 ONLY ?

Samples are fully working in v7, that you would buy EITHER.

Posted Wed 09 Jul 14 @ 3:20 am
It's like this fruit, I can't haggle for the price, and every day I don't buy it VDJ becomes just a tiny bit cheaper. I want it, but I don't need it, so until it ticks all the boxes for me (which it's almost there but) samples to slots and timecode are a big deal for me. Eventually these things will be sorted out, and when that day comes I'll look at what's available out there.
Promises of updates are well and good but it's no guarantee it will be the best product for me when they are delivered.

Anywho back on topic A great idea that could also be applied in a limited manor to controller mappings and effects too.

Posted Wed 09 Jul 14 @ 9:24 am

Posted Fri 08 Aug 14 @ 9:00 am
ProfLeePRO InfinityMember since 2011
I like Kelley-Jane's post regarding "Notifications when new Skins come" I would settle for way to have a "News Feed" or "Subscription" to a developers page where they could send out a news update. This way, users could download the new update when ready.

Posted Fri 08 Aug 14 @ 3:39 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)