Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Skins

Topic: V8 but by FRUiT - Page: 17

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

FruitPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Unfortunately every beta update keeps erasing all the stored skin vars in settings.xml...

So the state remains, until you upgrade the software. I asked for this in the regression bug forum but didn't get any answer.

Posted Tue 21 Oct 14 @ 3:39 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
Hi Fruit, I am using this thread, as i could not easily spot the one in the Beta thread where you reported something about lost settings after each update.
I assume that by "update" you mean the skin update and not the software update, is that correct ? Because i tried to reproduce it and couldnt with any update of the software i ve made. So, apparently it has to do with the skin updates you constantly provide.

We are trying to figure out why is this happening, so please try to recall (or test if possibly), the following..
- Try to rename one of the existing global @ variables and reload the skin. Does this create an issue ?
- Try to add an additional global variable but dont add this at the end of the xml..choose a place where the new variable is in the middle of others, and relaod the skin. Does this create the issue ?

thanks

Posted Thu 23 Oct 14 @ 4:15 am
No there's no problems when upgrading the skin (I constantly add/mod vars when working on it).

I talk about VDJ software upgrades, each new beta version keeps erasing the whole '<VDJScriptGlobalVariables/>' tag in settings.xml. But other settings in this file are not overriden, only this tag is lost I guess.

I'll do some tests as you asked (but in a few hours in the evening).

Build 1973 :
FRUiT wrote :
Posté Wed 24 Sep 14 @ 11:56 pm
I noticed that every new available build is erasing all @$vars in settings.xml.

Is that supposed to be so ? Maybe for safety while we're in beta ?

http://fr.virtualdj.com/forums/194099/Beta_Builds_Regression_Bugs/BUILD_1973.html?page=1

Posted Thu 23 Oct 14 @ 6:26 am
I did a small test as I'm at work :

I was playing with 1973, and I tried to upgrade to 2013 by manually downloading it from the link provided in the regression bugs. The problem didn't occur and the vars were kept !

So it may have to do with the automatic upgrades only.

Posted Thu 23 Oct 14 @ 6:43 am
I tried to reproduce it but couldnt. I had build 2003 installed, launched your skin, made a few changes and the setting with the variables was saved on exit. On second launch, i was asked to update to 2013, clicked Yes, 2013 launched and the settings (variables) were there !

Posted Thu 23 Oct 14 @ 2:09 pm
Was the automatic update to 2013 that wiped all the settings for me!

Posted Thu 23 Oct 14 @ 2:30 pm
Test protocol :

- 2013 is already installed
- Manual installation of 2003 (global vars kept)
- Manual installation of 2013 (global vars kept)

- Manual installation of 2003 again (and repair because of lost files) (global vars kept)

- Then waited for the automatic upgrade to ask me,
- Automatic installation of 2013 (global vars LOST)

Posted Thu 23 Oct 14 @ 3:23 pm
When the tag is resetted, the line in settings.xml looks exactly like :

<VDJScriptGlobalVariables />

Posted Thu 23 Oct 14 @ 3:29 pm
djdad wrote :
- Try to rename one of the existing global @ variables and reload the skin. Does this create an issue ?
- Try to add an additional global variable but dont add this at the end of the xml..choose a place where the new variable is in the middle of others, and relaod the skin. Does this create the issue ?

Just to make it clear you meant by xml the skin's xml file ? right ?

When I work on the skin that's mainly what I do, especially this past month I replaced all the panels on/offs with global vars controlled panels. Never encountered any issue when doing this, only when upgrading VDJ, and I must say that every new build does this, not just one occasionally, at least since 1960 or so.

Posted Thu 23 Oct 14 @ 3:41 pm
I don't want to break your flow, but I have a question;
is it possible to assign a custom button to act like hitting the "fade now" button in the milkdrop GUI when using milkdrop as a visualiastion?
and please if somebody answers, I need easy steps, I'm not from the computer generation.
thx
ray

Posted Thu 23 Oct 14 @ 4:08 pm
Fruit, can you send me the line from the settings.xml file with the variables (before updating to 2013) ? ..type it here. Thanks

Posted Thu 23 Oct 14 @ 6:09 pm
I just reproduced the protocol I explained above.

In settings.xml 2003 :

<VDJScriptGlobalVariables>$v8bf_browser_stripes=0=0.00000, $v8bf_skin_tint=0=10.00000</VDJScriptGlobalVariables>

After automatic upgrade to 2013 :

<VDJScriptGlobalVariables />

(vars lost, skin reset)

Posted Thu 23 Oct 14 @ 6:51 pm
strange. did exactly as explained earlier. Fresh installation of 2003. Launched your skin. Closed. Put the <line> in the seetings.. relaunched..the orange skin appeared. Then waited for 2013.. Clicked yes, relaunched and the orange skin was there.

Posted Thu 23 Oct 14 @ 6:58 pm
I tried the same process with your Hercules RMX2 black skin and I monitored this var :

<button action="toggle '@$showgrids'" class="smallbutton" >
<Tooltip>Show Extra Grid Lines</Tooltip>
<pos x="1415" y="87" />
<icon x="557" y="1015" width="18" height="17" />
</button>

Exact same result, the var is lost when automatically upgrading.

I even uninstalled vdj8 (but answering 'no' to the question "do you want to delete your settings and database ?") and the var were kept during the downgrade to 2003, just not after auto-upgrade to 2013.

Posted Thu 23 Oct 14 @ 7:02 pm
I'm on Windows 7 Ultimate SP1
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU P7450 @ 2.13GHz, 4 Go RAM

Posted Thu 23 Oct 14 @ 7:06 pm
gary730Home userMember since 2014
nice!!

Posted Sat 25 Oct 14 @ 4:07 am
djdad wrote :
Launched your skin. Closed. Put the <line> in the seetings.. relaunched.. the orange skin was there.

Dunno if that can make any difference but,

In my attempts, I never manually pasted something in settings.xml. But instead I was always teaking some var(s) inside VDJ while running the skins (mine & yours) to let VDJ modify the settings.xml file on its own.

Posted Sun 26 Oct 14 @ 8:06 am
Tried to copy/paste a valid settings.xml global vars line. Working fine until I auto-upgrade, so, same behavior, vars lost.

And, other clue :

I also tried to do a 'typical' install rather than the 'complete' I'm used to check when installing 2003, but the vars still disappear...

Posted Sun 26 Oct 14 @ 10:11 am
raypitman wrote :
assign a custom button to act like hitting the "fade now" button in the milkdrop GUI when using milkdrop as a visualiastion?

Well if you select milkdrop as the main (slot1) effect, that button would show in every effect panel of this skin.

But if you need an extra button or a keyboard shortcut there it is :

(assuming milkdrop is in main slot)

effect_button 1

(assuming milkdrop is in slot 2 for instance)

effect_button 2 1

Posted Sun 26 Oct 14 @ 10:55 am
FRUiT, mec, bravo, si bien fait!
1) Please make it more clear to tell which deck is currently selected. Can there be an option to ALWAYS ENABLE the little ASCII DJ d-_-b.
2) Some-times all 4 deck's waveforms are coloured, some times only the top two are. What determines this, and is it possible for them to all always-be-coloured?
3) Previously I had a bug, where swapping between mixer's Gain or Filter button wouldn't display filter (even though it was enabled in the local settings).
4) If I disable sidebar, is it possible to stretch the decks horizontally, or at least the waveforms.

Posted Fri 31 Oct 14 @ 10:19 pm
44%