Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Skins

Topic: Skin Makers

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

SSE100PRO InfinityMember since 2014
Hi Guys,
I've been looking into buying Virtual DJ 8 (Win 8) but only if I can find someone (who I will pay) to re - skin Virtual to look like the program I've been using the last 15 - 20 years , DJ Power . I would have attached a screen shot of DJP but I don't see that option. Here is a link to their site http://www.djpower.com/overview.htm with a small pic .I'm a total novice when it comes to re - skinning etc but would like to know if you guys think it can be done . I love the clean look of DJP but would like an updated software like Virtual , any advice would be greatly appreciated !

Thanks,

Posted Mon 23 Jun 14 @ 11:23 am
Wow, really? You want it to look like Windows 3.1? :-)

There are a huge number of VDJ skins available, some of which do have a very clean/plain look. Have you not seen any you like?

As VDJ 8 is still quite new, skins specifically for 8 are thin on the ground, and only a few guys currently know how to skin for 8. However, if you purchase a full Pro license, you will be able to use VDJ 7 and make use of most older skins.

Posted Mon 23 Jun 14 @ 11:38 am
SSE100PRO InfinityMember since 2014
I Know I'm Old School , Plain , Boring When It Comes To Skins .....I Absolutely HATE The Dual Deck Of Every DJ Software Out There , Takes Up Much Needed Screen Space In My Opinion . I'm Not Going To Buy A 300.00 Program (A Very Fair Price I Might Add) Unless I Can Get It Skinned Like I Want .

Posted Mon 23 Jun 14 @ 11:56 am
That's the advantage of VDJ over other DJ software - it can look any way you want it to look.

You don't have to display any decks whatsoever for instance.

VDJ 7 (and a few skins so far in 8) can display a full screen browser. You can still load and play tracks, but (especially when using external hardware) the skin doesn't have to show decks or look like a particular controller (which some people prefer).

You will have to purchase the software before anyone's likely to make you a skin though - they're for licensed users only.

Posted Mon 23 Jun 14 @ 12:13 pm
yaetownPRO InfinityMember since 2010
Man.... That DJ Power look like an Atari game.... That's beyond old school.

Posted Fri 27 Jun 14 @ 4:26 pm
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
only $389 too, bargain.

Posted Fri 27 Jun 14 @ 5:17 pm
BHPD104Home userMember since 2014
Yeah it may look "old school," but there are those of us out there that like the simplicity of just showing a running list of songs waiting to be played. I too, would be more than willing to invest in VDJ if I could get someone to skin it in a manner similar to the DJ Power layout, which is basically this:

1. Drag-N-Drop songs from a list into the SINGLE master table in the middle of the screen. The songs play/mix in order starting at the top, but, a "stop line" can be place in between any of the songs so that the player will stop when that song ends. (Great for making announcements, etc.)

2. A separate player window that allows songs to be played through a different sound card for cueing.

3. A window that shows which songs have been played, along with the date & time.

4. A display showing the actual time it will be when the current list of songs have played. (This is great for karaoke shows, to tell the DJ how many more songs can be requested before the show ends.)

5. A way to save "play lists," that can be clicked on to fill the middle table with the songs in that list. (This is good for shows such as weddings, when the DJ just wants to play a pre-determined list of background music.)

6. A separate short list of "sound effects" that can be played over (or in place of) songs.

Most of this stuff sounds pretty simple when you compare it to the amazing stuff today's DJ software can do, but for those of us that don't need the "dual deck" type of display, beat mixing, etc., the DJ Power type of layout is perfect.

So how about it? Anyone out there up to the challenge of skinning VDJ 7 or 8 to a more "basic" display?

Posted Thu 03 Jul 14 @ 11:52 pm
As already stated, there are skins available that have "alternative" layouts - but most users do want a standard 2 deck arrangement, as that's how the majority of DJs work.

From what you've posted, I get the impression you haven't used VDJ that much. Everything you mention is possible in VDJ.

VDJ does have an automix function, that works on one deck as standard, but can also work on two.
VDJ also has a prelisten player, plus standard cueing.
The standard browser window indicates played songs.
The automix window shows total playing time of all songs in the list, and also the time when individual songs will play.
Playlists can be saved and loaded.
Sound effects can be played - either via the sampler, standard decks or from within the automix/playlist.

As also mentioned, you'll need to become a licensed user first.

Posted Fri 04 Jul 14 @ 5:24 am
FruitPRO InfinityMember since 2003
BHPD104 wrote :
So how about it? Anyone out there up to the challenge of skinning VDJ 7 or 8 to a more "basic" display?

What of this is REALLY different than the automix panel of the broswser ?

It may play in only one deck, shows the total amout of time. You can CUE in the second deck...

I mean, IMO you ARE decribing the automix function, it does respond to all of your wishes, AND you have several master effects... So what the eek ? Is it ONLY a'design' problem so ??

Posted Fri 04 Jul 14 @ 8:37 am
FruitPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Ouuups, forgot to read carefully the post just above mine, sorry for repeating.

Posted Fri 04 Jul 14 @ 4:23 pm
RTH134PRO InfinityMember since 2014
I am a recent purchaser of VDJ Pro and so far playing around with Version 7, and I too am a former user of the old DJ Power program. I very much loved the basic layout of the screen because it simply showed the list of songs waiting to be played in the middle, and a list of songs/folders to the right. There was no need to display the spinning "decks," because there was only one screen for playing, pausing, or "force mixing" to the next song. (Plus the fonts were a lot bigger which was easier on the eyes of us older folks.) In any event, the old DJP layout reminds me of a few Virtual DJ "jukebox" type skins, but with a lot more functionality.

As stated by several members here, VDJ certainly has all of the options/functions that DJP had (plus a heck of a lot more), but learning how to create a skin to make those functions work in a screen that is a close representation of the old DJ Power layout, is a bit down-the-road for me. Any one of you "skin artists" out there interested in a challenge, to see how close you could get to this "old school" dj software program?

Thanks,
Rich

Posted Sun 28 Dec 14 @ 1:11 am
Hi Skin Creators:-) I have a skin (5 Video Decks/screens) created for me by DennYo - great skin. I need to get it to PLAY directly without assigning the Cue number. In other words when I click Play, regardless which screen, I would like it to go Live. I cannot reach/find DennYo for months now. Anyone interested? Of course it's a Paid job, within reason:-) Thank you.

Posted Wed 18 Mar 15 @ 7:36 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)