Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Wishes and new features

Topic: Effects - Wishes & new features - Page: 3

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

The EQ crossfaders literally mix just the associated band from one deck to the other.

I think what he wants (after reading it again) is for the normal EQ (which affects one channel and doesn't mix in the other one) to just move whilst crossfading.

Posted Thu 17 Jul 14 @ 12:30 pm
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
That's how I read it, I don't really understand the application but it still sound scriptable

Posted Thu 17 Jul 14 @ 1:22 pm
the application is for mixing.. bring the song in with no bass eq...then bring up the bass eq on that song as you turn the bass eq down on the outgoing song..

Posted Thu 17 Jul 14 @ 8:32 pm
So you want a centre dipped style crossfader, where at crossfader 50% both decks have a slight bass cut, sounds very scriptable

Posted Fri 18 Jul 14 @ 1:47 am
yes i believe that would do it, this would allow a free hand to activate an effect, (or do fist pumps in the air) ;-) j/k ... while doing a segue...

cheers..

Posted Fri 18 Jul 14 @ 6:55 am
So......left song is playing, crossfader is completely left (which is 0% in VDJ speak).

As soon as crossfader moves to >0%, turn bass EQ on right deck to 0%.

As crossfader continues to increase %, raise right bass EQ whilst lowering left bass EQ.

When crossfader is at 100% (right hand side), left bass EQ is now at 0% and right bass EQ is at 50% (flat).

Yes?

Posted Fri 18 Jul 14 @ 7:27 am
That sounds right to me it would be something with the param scripts attahed to the CF action in the skin
CF 0%, invert it half it, that's lows on deck 1, and for the right deck just 1/2 the CF value.
Things might get screwy if you adjust the eq though maybe a couple of queries at 2 & 98% (or something maybe just 1 @50%) just to 'initialise' the eq dials

Posted Fri 18 Jul 14 @ 9:58 am
Actually, after further thought - if he's using the crossfader exclusively, you could just have the bass on whichever deck is opposite to the crossfader be at 0%, raising to 50% when the crossfader is towards that deck.

So as the crossfader moves away from the deck, that decks bass goes down. When pushed the other way, bass goes up whilst other bass goes down.

Posted Fri 18 Jul 14 @ 11:08 am
FruitPRO InfinityMember since 2003
It would result in the "eq_crossfader_low" existing action, but linked to main Xfader.

Posted Fri 18 Jul 14 @ 11:17 am
Er......I'm not sure about that.

A normal crossfade includes all freqs, so adding eq_crossfade_low to that wouldn't do anything, becase the lows are already being crossfaded (with the rest of the freqs).

Posted Fri 18 Jul 14 @ 11:54 am
Linked... in some way.

Your are asking for a different curve for bass / other freqs... Or I don't understand ?

Posted Fri 18 Jul 14 @ 12:14 pm
I'm getting confused too!

Each of the special crossfade actions only affects one frequency, whereas the normal cross fader affects all frequencies at the same time.

If you moved all three eq crossfaders together, you would have a normal crossfade. If you move only the bass crossfader, only the bass blends - but there is always a level amount of bass, balanced between both decks.

If you only move the top and mid crossfaders, the bass would not be crossfaded at all, and the bass from both decks would be heard.

The usual goal of this "reducing the bass" method is to bring the new track in with no bass on it, then gradually turn its bass back up again whilst reducing bass on the old/outgoing track.

Posted Fri 18 Jul 14 @ 12:37 pm
LOL :)

Sorry for confusing...

Hum, so a kind of "delayed eq-crossfader-low" in a way ?

Cause when I read this :
groovindj wrote :
So......left song is playing, crossfader is completely left (which is 0% in VDJ speak).

As soon as crossfader moves to >0%, turn bass EQ on right deck to 0%.

As crossfader continues to increase %, raise right bass EQ whilst lowering left bass EQ.

When crossfader is at 100% (right hand side), left bass EQ is now at 0% and right bass EQ is at 50% (flat).

I read something about the normal Xfader behavior, that would have a "full curve" for normal frequencies, and something mmm maybe a bit smoother than the "smooth" curve for bass...

Again, sorry to annoy with that, was not intended ^^

Posted Fri 18 Jul 14 @ 2:08 pm
He wants CF @0% = lows on 1 50% lows on 2 0%, CF@50% lows on both 25%, CF@100% lows on 1 0% lows on 2 50%,

a stupidly long script on the crossfader action like this would do it (maybe?)
crossfader 0% ? deck 1 eq_low 50% & deck 2 eq_low 0% : crossfader 2% ? deck 1 eq_low 49% & deck 2 eq_low 1% : crossfader 4% ? etc etc

I've tried custom dials linked to both the CF the and the bass, and while it looks like it should do it it doesn't (the dials will follow the CF but won't change the bass from CF action)
Perhaps if the CF was also attached to the bass dials in the skin, it's a bit of a doozy this one. I think a custom CF curve with a dip in the middle (really old school) would be easiest

Posted Fri 18 Jul 14 @ 2:25 pm
locodog wrote :
He wants CF @0% = lows on 1 50% lows on 2 0%, CF@50% lows on both 25%, CF@100% lows on 1 0% lows on 2 50%,

Yeah, that's where I was at on one of my earlier posts - but I don't think that's ideal.

Normally what you'd do is kill the bass on the incoming track, crossfade to 50%, gradually increase incoming bass whilst decreasing outgoing bass, then finish crossfading.

....or not use the crossfader at all! Just bring in the new track (with lowered bass) using the channel fader, then do the EQ thing, then lower the other channel fader.

Posted Fri 18 Jul 14 @ 2:58 pm
like I said above, a centre dipped CF curve might be what works easiest and best,)
http://www.discjockey101.com/Fig.%202_%20Dipped_Curve.jpg

I'm not sure how to make custom CF curves.
The idea he asked for is a logical way to avoid the in phase A+B that can push the levels too high but doesn't appear to be possible without a mega script that queries the CF at many points.

Posted Fri 18 Jul 14 @ 3:59 pm
crossfader_curve : select the curve of the crossfader. enter a value to adjust the slope from a X curve (0%) to a inverted-U curve (100%). you can also specify common curves by name ("smooth", "full", "scratch", "cut", "disabled"). or you can draw your own curve, using a syntax like 'crossfader_curve "0=[1,0]/0.5=[1,1]/1=[0,1]"'.

(no way to set a "dipped" curve thus)

Posted Fri 18 Jul 14 @ 4:34 pm
erm yes there is (I think)

the drawing your own curve needs better explanation. would this be a straight X?

0=[1,0]/0.5=[0.5, 0.5]/1=[0,1]

Posted Sat 19 Jul 14 @ 2:33 am
Yes I think we can call this one "linear".

Posted Sat 19 Jul 14 @ 2:51 am
What's weird is, we can have a knob that mods the levels curve, from linear to cubic, but it seems it won't affect the Xfader curve as well.

Posted Sat 19 Jul 14 @ 3:17 am
16%