Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.0 Technical Support

Topic: Terminal Mix 4 Complete Audio Loss - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

prasanfPRO InfinityMember since 2011
Hi guys,

I have been trying out 8 with my terminal mix 4 and I am consistently getting audio drop outs, where the software is showing everything playing fine but the sound on the hardware goes completely dead. When I close the software I here a short burst (less than half a second) of the sound before it closes.

It usually happens when I move the mouse or click on the skin.

As I am typing this I see an update to the software. So not sure if the bug is fixed or not. If you have not come across this problem before please see if it can be looked into.

Thanks and all the best the team!

Posted Tue 13 May 14 @ 11:34 am
Hi, just to let you know this bug is still present. This is a serious problem, please look into it.

I am using Windows 8.1, intel i7 with 32GB RAM and a GEFORCE GTX 670 MX graphics card. Controller is a Reloop Terminal Mix 4.

I will test with my herculese 4mx also and see if it keeps happening.

Hope to see some feedback soon.

Thanks

Posted Wed 14 May 14 @ 1:02 am
I think this may be graphics related. I've had issues in the past with audio not playing properly and it turned out to be the graphics drivers.

Some software worked fine, but one particular software had the problem.

As a test, try running VDJ 8 minimised and see if the audio works then.

Posted Wed 14 May 14 @ 2:40 pm

As you can see everything looks fine. However, this screenshot was taken during complete silence on the output both headphones and master.

All I did was load one song to deck 1, play it. Then loaded another song deck 2. Used the hot cues a few times. Mixed the track. In the middle of the mix I used the mouse to click on the video tab to see how the video was mixing. Then I clicked on the mixer tab and the sound went completely dead. The common factor in all cases seems to be when I use the mouse to do something on the skin.

I have still not tried this with my Hercules 4Mx, but the reloop is what I use at the night club, so I am extremely concerned that something like this can happen. I cannot even contemplate using version 8 until the dev team has isolated this bug and fixed it.

Ok I just tried to replicate what I said above, to see if there was some consistency and the same thing happened. When I clicked on the video tab while mixing, and then moused over the mixer tab, the sound died at the point when the tooltip appeared for the mixer tab. Please see if this can be sorted out.

Thanks!

Posted Wed 14 May 14 @ 2:48 pm
Thanks Groov,

I will try updating my graphics driver. Just tried to do the above a 3rd time and nothing went wrong. Crap! This is frustrating! I hope the dev team is able to figure this out.

Posted Wed 14 May 14 @ 2:55 pm
When I say graphics related, I don't mean that your graphics will look bad - just that sometimes graphics drivers and things that happen on the screen (like mouse movement) can affect the audio because of computery stuff like interrupts.

Another test. Try knocking down the fancy graphics stuff like shading and transparency on your Windows settings.

Posted Wed 14 May 14 @ 3:01 pm
I just updated my graphics driver. Yesterday I updated the TM4 drivers as well. I also updated Windows. However, the same thing happened again. All drivers are now up to date.

So now I have reset everything to factory default. IE no coloured waveforms or anything. It ran fine for about 3 songs. Then I changed to 4 deck skin. Again the sound went, when I moused over the mixer deck after about 3 minutes of playing. So it looks like there is some sort of glitch with the 4 deck mode on the default skin. Will change back to 2 decks and play a long session to see if it happens again, and will report back.

Posted Wed 14 May 14 @ 11:40 pm
What is most frightening is that something like this can happen at all. Video can get laggy, things can freeze up a bit etc, or some advanced features could cause unexpected behaviors. All that would be understandable. However, the sound engine should have been written in a way that it just cannot go down. The number one priority should be sound staying up.

A few months ago when using version 7, my hard disk crashed in the middle of a set at the club, but the sound kept playing. Everything on screen was completely frozen, but the song finished playing. So there was time for another DJ to take over and the crowd never knew that anything went wrong. Even the video output kept going till the end.

Posted Wed 14 May 14 @ 11:53 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
I would suggest to downgrade to Windows 8. I dont think its skin or controller related. Most likely its the new Microsoft USB driver in windows 8.1 that causes several issues. I have experienced this with various controllers.
Try Win8 or even Win7 and see if the issue is resolved.

Posted Fri 16 May 14 @ 1:32 am
Ok , I thought I might get asked to activate some sort of log file or something. Downgrade to 8 from 8.1 is a bit drastic isn't it? I am not sure how to do it. If it is easy to do and to reverse I can do it. However, this does not happen with virtual DJ 7.4. I hope there will be something more robust planned to sort this out in the future.

Posted Fri 16 May 14 @ 6:41 am
Hmmm.... I didn't downgrade my system. But the new build came in and the problem seems to be gone. So was this fixed or is it just waiting for me to play at a gig for it to happen again... :)

Posted Fri 16 May 14 @ 10:44 am
Could be this part: "Use newer D3DX libraries when available"

Posted Fri 16 May 14 @ 10:51 am
Nope, it happened again. :(
I am so sad :(

Posted Fri 16 May 14 @ 4:38 pm

Posted Fri 16 May 14 @ 5:59 pm
Hi DjDad,

Its night here so heading off to the club. I will try to reproduce this with my hercules 4mx tomorrow. I found the error occurs most commonly when I connect the Terminal Mix 4 after starting vdj 8. Just thought I would let you know, in case you guys can reproduce it that way.

I have tried reproducing it without any controller connected and not been able to do so. However, I did not try for long (maybe 30 minutes).

I will also go through the optimizing link suggested by you, tomorrow.

Thanks for the feedback.

Posted Sat 17 May 14 @ 10:22 am
Ok, so I tried to replicate with my 4mx. First thing I did to try and replicate it was connect the controller after starting virtual DJ. Then there is a notification stating that a new device has been found, do you want to use it? I clicked yes. This immediately caused the program to crash. Repeated this and the same things happened. Windows notification came up saying something has cause virtual dj to stop working and the program will be closed.

I have already update the firmware and drivers of the 4mx to the latest version.

Posted Sun 18 May 14 @ 3:25 am
The 4MX issue (connecting device after launching VirtualDJ8) is probably fixed in the latest build (1774) Cant reproduce it anymore.
Please verify

Posted Sun 18 May 14 @ 1:50 pm
I am using latest build 1774.647

I tried it and the same thing happened. I guess its easy enough to make sure my controller is connected first, but just pointing this out. I left my TM4 at the club, so can only test that on Wednesday.

Cheers!

Posted Sun 18 May 14 @ 9:34 pm

Posted Mon 19 May 14 @ 6:58 am
I have tested the latest version with my TM 4. I am still having the same issue with audio loss.

It happens consistently on the default 4 deck skin. I play videos. All I have to do is have two tracks playing for a couple of minutes and click on some of the tabs on the skin and the sound output goes dead. Will not come back unless I restart.

I use it with the alternate vertical 4 deck skin and this works if I connect the controller before starting vdj. @djdad I noticed this is your skin. Thank heavens for you! However this also gives problems if the controller is connected after starting vdj.

Until this issue with the default 4 deck is sorted I am very much on edge as I am afraid that the audio might die in the middle of a gig. If it can happen with the default skin, who knows what is causing it!

So please try to replicate this and fix it. I find it happens faster if I connect the controller after starting vdj.

Thanks

Posted Wed 21 May 14 @ 2:29 pm
50%