Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.0 Technical Support

Topic: First impressions - Page: 2

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

Note: I haven't been to any of the vdj8 tutorial labs.... so I'm just loading up and trying it... without reading the manual....LOL

First Impression: I don't have it hooked up to my mixer rack... it's just sitting on the counter right now, playing through the really crappy computer speakers, so I can't speak on sound, but am excited to hook it up with what people have been saying :) I was concerned about the browser section for a bit, because that was one of the big selling points for VDJ when I purchased it. I like my sidelist & my playlist both. I mix the music myself, but I like my sidelist for "ideas" and a place to put requests when I want them available quickly. I like my playlist primarily for two things: 1) For an automix list of tracks, say for dinner music during a reception, or maybe to mix a couple of songs at a party when I need to make a... umm.... personal trip, or a place to put tracks in the order I want to play them, as on one of my midi mixer setups, I have a button mapped on each midi (stanton scs.1d) to load the next track from the playlist... so if I am trying to do a planned remix of sorts, and need to load that next track NOW, and not fiddle with the mouse, it works great. After fiddling for a bit, I discovered that indeed the playlist is there, but now called automix, and so is my precious side list... and I think I like how it's organized. I would kind of like to atleast still have the option to view both windows at the same time, but I should be able to map some midi button I would assume to scroll between the two quickly?

Look and feel of the 4 deck mixing skin. It looks great :) Not sure how I feel about the grey, but overall, I think it does look a bit clearer and cleaner on the top portion. I do like the layout quite well.

I am wondering where that wave editing window that kind of had that mixmeister look to it, that we saw in the videos promoting vdj8, and where that full screen browser window went, but I have not read the manual yet, so I guess I should do that now...LOL

Posted Sun 11 May 14 @ 11:48 am
AsTheDJPRO InfinityMember since 2008
Ok it work on my 10.9.2 with NO issues the music all there the skin LOOK nice and run Smooth VERY low CPU uses LOVE that sound cleaner. ( VDJ-8 free ) can't wait when VDJ-8 come out LOOK GOOd Guys ( O that File system /folder structure has a alot going on can you make the font bolder then the File/search results )

Posted Sun 11 May 14 @ 12:13 pm
just started using VDJ 8 and noticed this on mix lab V3.1 skin unless it's taken it from my VDJ 7 skins and not yet laced on the skin correctly.

Posted Sun 11 May 14 @ 12:24 pm
also, when playing a track I press stop/cue and the track carries on playing.

Posted Sun 11 May 14 @ 12:25 pm
agmdPRO InfinityMember since 2005
Hi all,

The FX section seems wanting - was really hoping for pre/post fade fx, and more fx too - seeing all the options that are available for fx manipulation, seems it's shipped with stock standard. AND - the old ones I had downloaded, don't seem to work - is that right?

Posted Sun 11 May 14 @ 12:25 pm
Not all older skins work correctly with V8. Especially skins with elements on the left/right side of the browser

Posted Sun 11 May 14 @ 12:26 pm
Skins will need to be updated to work flawlessly with VDJ8.

Mixlab was designed for version 5, so it is no surprise that it isn't working correctly.

Posted Sun 11 May 14 @ 12:27 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
sleeperawaken wrote :
I would kind of like to atleast still have the option to view both windows at the same time, but I should be able to map some midi button I would assume to scroll between the two quickly?

Yes,
sideview "sidelist" and sideview "automix" actions can be used to switch.
It's also possible to enable the function "showHorizontalSidelist" in options, which brings back the v7-style sidelist.

Posted Sun 11 May 14 @ 12:29 pm
Djay_7PRO InfinityMember since 2004
Looking really slick guys!! Loving how smooth and low on CPU this new version seems to be, and the sound quality is awesome too!!

My only little snipe is the font sizing.. If it's a short file name, then it looks great and is really readable, but if it's a long name, I know it scrolls nicely, but it also changes the width of the font to narrow, so it's not very legible on my laptop.. could use a way to turn this on/off? (might be ok for people with larger monitors, as it's quite readable on my main machine with 24" monitor)

Posted Sun 11 May 14 @ 12:43 pm
Just checked out the "Track Cleaner".. is there a reason why we need to double click to move the cursor position?, or could this be changed to a single click?

Posted Sun 11 May 14 @ 12:46 pm
Djay_7 wrote :
Looking really slick guys!! Loving how smooth and low on CPU this new version seems to be, and the sound quality is awesome too!!

My only little snipe is the font sizing.. If it's a short file name, then it looks great and is really readable, but if it's a long name, I know it scrolls nicely, but it also changes the width of the font to narrow, so it's not very legible on my laptop.. could use a way to turn this on/off? (might be ok for people with larger monitors, as it's quite readable on my main machine with 24" monitor)

Go to options and change "browsertextfit"
See if it helps

Posted Sun 11 May 14 @ 12:50 pm
Djay_7 wrote :
Just checked out the "Track Cleaner".. is there a reason why we need to double click to move the cursor position?, or could this be changed to a single click?

If you "grab" the green line (playing needle / cursor) you can move it...

Double click is used to bring the cursor in front of you

Posted Sun 11 May 14 @ 12:53 pm
Hi there just downloaded the new VDJ8 but how do I add my controllers?I'm on a Stanton scs1 system SCS1d and SCS1m mixer.I managed to configure the soundcard on the scs1m mixer,but I cant use the controllers.
HELP!
thank you

Posted Sun 11 May 14 @ 12:54 pm
Anyone else getting a graphics bug in the Track Cleaner (if you stretch the window vertically) when you click the Stretch button , the number which is supposed to open to the right of the button appears in the waveform area instead. The trash can icon also doesn't appear where it should if you resize the window then click Stretch.

PhantomDeejay wrote :

Go to options and change "browsertextfit"
See if it helps

Perfect mate!! :)

well I see where some people are going to be chomping at the bit again when it comes to their favorite or go-to plug-ins not re-written yet. Essential Visuals isn't compatible yet. no image/effect from it and it made v8 hang.
no biggie yet but

should we make a sticky with a list of plug-ins that will not work with 8 yet so they can be worked on?

Posted Sun 11 May 14 @ 12:55 pm
PhantomDeejay wrote :

If you "grab" the green line (playing needle / cursor) you can move it...
Double click is used to bring the cursor in front of you

Thank you yet again.. I will go hide in the corner and have a proper play before putting stupid comments up next time :)

Posted Sun 11 May 14 @ 12:56 pm
I don't see the Genres folder, did I miss it? That's where I had all my music separated at...

Posted Sun 11 May 14 @ 12:57 pm
Genres is not any longer a root element of the browser. You can use filter folders instead... (and even nest them as well)

Posted Sun 11 May 14 @ 1:00 pm
Adion wrote :
It's also possible to enable the function "showHorizontalSidelist" in options, which brings back the v7-style sidelist.

I just selected this to try it, but can't see any horizontal sidelist. What've you done with it? :-)

Posted Sun 11 May 14 @ 1:06 pm
5%