Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Apple TV on Mavericks 10.9.2 - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

938MyDJPRO InfinityMember since 2007
I upgraded all my Macbooks yesterday and did a testing.

For those who aren't aware yet...

Virtual DJ 7.4.1 is now compatible with Apple TV on Mavericks 10.9.2 without latency issues. It will appear as Output: Unknown 00000001 on your video-display option.
You can also set the screen resolution of your extended monitor accordingly. - for Macs 2011 and later only with Airplay capabilities.

The good thing is, it even let you do mulitiple screens on the extended desktop. So if you have a slideshow for a wedding just swipe the extended monitor output of VDJ and you'll see the slideshow display.

*When clients give me non video format slides (i.e. Powerpoint), I used to do the slideshow on my back up computer (also to make sure of non-stop music). But this requires extra cables and VGA selector box.*

My next move is to research how to do multiple-display (at least dual), and then get a second Apple TV.

This old post below is no longer true... (At least with specific equipment and specs)

Posted Mon 31 Mar 14 @ 1:36 pm
BTW

Moderators can move this to the video discussion if they want.
I just thought more users will see it here : )

Posted Mon 31 Mar 14 @ 1:57 pm
Thanks......next thing on my (to buy) list ;o)

Posted Mon 31 Mar 14 @ 2:59 pm
With built in Netflix, YouTube, Vimeo, etc. the ability to use it on the DJ business is the best function for me!

I am sure you will love the Apple TV!

Posted Mon 31 Mar 14 @ 5:21 pm
J-SnipPRO InfinityMember since 2006
How are you using VDJ with Apple TV? Are you saying you are sending your video output to the Apple TV box then onto your monitors? I'm lost but I am new to Mac so that explains me not understanding. :) I do have a Roku box.

Posted Mon 31 Mar 14 @ 8:00 pm
Yeah! Send the video output of VDJ to projector/flat-screen TV wirelessly via Apple TV.

Posted Mon 31 Mar 14 @ 8:39 pm
thanks for the info. getting the apple tv tomorrow....

Posted Mon 31 Mar 14 @ 9:46 pm
good to know. thank you

Posted Mon 31 Mar 14 @ 9:51 pm
You're welcome!

And don't forget that you can also use your IOS Devices for:

- LIVE CAM Capture (No sound output support at the moment) Just use a mic for now
- Recorded Videos (has the sound output but only to the device the Apple TV is plugged into)
- Display text greetings
- Use photos for banners

And many other cool stuff... Enjoy!

Posted Mon 31 Mar 14 @ 10:23 pm

Posted Thu 03 Apr 14 @ 9:14 am
Video or it's not true, lol!!

But I'd really like to see a video of this in action. Were you on the clubs wireless system or bring your own, how far away from the projector were you?? There's a lot of variables your leaving out here........

Posted Thu 03 Apr 14 @ 9:36 am
It's just lately that I've updated to Mavericks. First year to use Apple TV on mobile gigs too.
So far I have only tested it on our bedroom flatscreen TV from upper level with the laptop in the basement on a 4-level split house.

On the 12th of this month I have a gig and will be testing this on the actual venue.

Posted Thu 03 Apr 14 @ 1:23 pm
Ahh I see, that's a pretty safe test. Well keep us posted.

Posted Thu 03 Apr 14 @ 2:31 pm
i found this feature by accident, its pretty cool.

Posted Sat 05 Apr 14 @ 4:39 am
Ok so I picked up Apple TV last night and it does work but it seems like it drops frames or something like that. I tried it with both VDJ and SDJ and video was smoother with VDJ. I'm gonna download AIR PARROT and see how well it works on the PC. My PC laptop has a 2 gig video card in it so I'm hoping it's better......

Posted Sat 12 Apr 14 @ 9:02 am
Ok just a quick update. If your gonna use Apple TV the way to go would be with an Ethernet cable. CPU is raised a little but its a hell of a lot better then trying to do it over wifi.

Sooo if gonna make some Ethernet cables of different lengths and see how far I can get before the signal turns to shit. Im gonna be using a CAT6 so I figure I can get at least 100ft.

Posted Sat 12 Apr 14 @ 6:55 pm
Always best where possible. No interference.

Posted Sat 12 Apr 14 @ 7:57 pm
DHoudePRO InfinityMember since 2009
beatbreaker1 wrote :
Sooo if gonna make some Ethernet cables of different lengths and see how far I can get before the signal turns to shit. Im gonna be using a CAT6 so I figure I can get at least 100ft.

I deal with allot of Ethernet wiring for my full time job. Distances of 100 Meters (328 feet) are the IEEE spec limit for most Ethernet situations that I have delt with. That should be more than fine for almost anybody.

Posted Sun 13 Apr 14 @ 8:54 am
Nice and Thanks for the info!!

Posted Sun 13 Apr 14 @ 10:43 am
DHoudePRO InfinityMember since 2009
I would be interested in your feedback of AirParrot. Never heard of it but looks awesome. I have two Apple TVs myself, so I would like to use them more if possible.

Posted Sun 13 Apr 14 @ 2:24 pm
95%