Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: VDJ Resets File Paths on Each Startup

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

TorpasPRO InfinityMember since 2010
Quick Version
Reinstalled VirtualDJ and wanted a fresh, new database after major structural changes to my folders. Now VDJ resets the file paths for all my music files to some Windows-like format on my MacBook, making all files unreadable in VDJ and me having to re-add everything to searchDB and rebuild favorite folders to make things work, on each startup.

Rig
Macbook Pro 15", late 2011 on OS X 10.9.1
SSD: Primary disc, Has OS X (Mavericks) and apps as VDJ. Uses HDD's home folder as it's home folder. Has all permissions for it.
HDD: Serves as file disc. Has the music. Has OS X (Mountain Lion) installed as a backup system.

Long version
Hello, I'm new to these forums and I have tried to search for this matter without finding anything. I'l try to keep this as simplified as possible.

So, my rig is a Macbook Pro 15" late 2011 running OSX 10.9.1 with VirtualDJ Pro 7.4.1. I have two internal drives, one SSD with OS X and applications (including VDJ) and one regular hdd with all files (all my music lies here). The regular hdd also has one OS X installation that serves as a backup system. My SSD installed OS X uses the same home folder as the regular hdd's OS X, the one on the regular HDD. It has permissions for it.

I have recently made a total remake of my music library and my system. Before it I had VDJ installed on my regular hdd, where my music is, and ran it running the OS X on that drive. Worked like a charm. Now, I want to have VDJ installed and running on my SSD, but still have my music on the regular hdd. So far, so good.

So, installed VDJ without issues. Then I bpm scanned all my music (~25k songs) over a day, added my favourite folders and some smart folders. Everything worked exactly as I wanted, including playback and searching. Then I closed VDJ.

Now the problems started. I first noticed that my smart folders wasn't in the order that I had put them, and my favorite folders were gone from the list. I put everything back the way I wanted and did another restart, same thing happened again. Smart folders moved around and no favorites in the list. I tried to search some songs and noticed that VDJ has changed the file path of every song in the library from the regular "\Volumes\Mac\Users\..." to "D:\Users\...". All scanned data as bitrate, length, etc is still there, all settings and GUI are being properly saved and loaded, but VDJ keep changing the file path to "D:\" on every restart of VDJ. If I add my music folder to the search DB again it solves the problem for the moment, but if I restart VDJ it reverts back to the D:\-format.

VDJ has permissions to read and write to the VirtualDJ-folder with all it's content including the database file. I have tried several reinstalls. I have tried to check, clean and fix my database several times. It simply seems that VDJ won't save the correct file paths on shutdown. Now, I read somewhere that VDJ puts a database file on every unique volume it comes across with music. May the issue be that VDJ gets confused about where to put and read the database file, considering that I have VDJ on one drive, but the home folder and the music on another? I don't really think that it's an unusual way I'm keeping my system at, reading around a little.

Does anyone know how to solve this problem? I'm very familiar with Macs and VirtualDJ, and I'm totally out of ideas.

Posted Sun 12 Jan 14 @ 4:15 pm
TorpasPRO InfinityMember since 2010

Posted Sun 12 Jan 14 @ 5:27 pm
Did you get a resolution for this?
I have exactly the same issue.

Posted Mon 18 May 15 @ 7:13 am
PachNPRO InfinityMember since 2009
What is the file system format of your HDD?

A german guy had the same happening. He was using a "special" filesystem that both, OSX and Windows could read. I don't remember the name...

Posted Wed 20 May 15 @ 5:42 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)