Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Issue when paths in playlist are to a network drive

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I am sharing my music on one computer using SMB and was playing around with Virtual DJ on a different windows 7 computer, so the paths to the the music are like so:

\\share\music\song.mp3

This works, everything plays properly etc. When I save a playlist the playlist looks fine, the paths are just as they should be when I edit them in notepad. The m3u playlist plays in winamp fine.

When I try to play a song from the playlist in Virtual DJ it cannot find the file. When I click File Infos, in the pop up window at the bottom under "File Infos" it displays the following

FilePath=C:\\share\music\song.mp3 !! File does not exist !!

It appears that VirtualDJ is trying to be smart and putting the drive letter on the beginning of paths, but this is a bad way to handle that situation. It would be better for Virtual DJ to just try the path it gets and not mess with it. I can't imagine a situation where adding a C: to the beginning of a file path with out a drive letter would do anything but mess it up.

Posted Wed 15 Feb 12 @ 9:36 pm
I'm using a networkdrive too in my home environment. I haven't had these problems, because I use driveletters to the partitions instead of pathnames. The only problem I had with this is that is I have multiple networkdrives (I've got 2), they have to be connected in the same order as when I created my playlist or if I recall my history.
(W7 gives the networkdrives a driveletter starting at the end (Y). If the wrong drive is recognized before the other, it will start naming the drives in the wrong order. With one networkdrive this would not be a problem for you)

Posted Thu 16 Feb 12 @ 5:07 pm
nameLock wrote :
It appears that VirtualDJ is trying to be smart and putting the drive letter on the beginning of paths, but this is a bad way to handle that situation. It would be better for Virtual DJ to just try the path it gets and not mess with it. I can\\\\\\\'t imagine a situation where adding a C: to the beginning of a file path with out a drive letter would do anything but mess it up.

Try to tweak somewhere here see pic below, if you assigned to a certain path VDJ looks to that specific path try to put as ROOT:

This is without other drives being detected by VDJ and show the ROOT as default drives.

After adding another drives VDJ was able to locates the other drives as another database sources to look at.

This is where you can assigned VDJ to locate the specific external drives and other network drives. Maybe in this part you have assigned VDJ to look at the other network drives while your song located on the other drives that makes VDJ errors files does not exist.

Posted Fri 17 Feb 12 @ 9:18 am
This information is not correct.

First, you have posted images from the Mac version when this is a PC technical support topic. Mac works differently to PC for handling its file system.

Second, CONFIG -> Browser is just for allowing you to check, clean and/or fix the main database (For the built-in hard drive) and/or local databases for any external drives. It does not allow you to set or change where VirtualDJ looks for databases. VirtualDJ will always create a separate local database for external drives.

Currently, VirtualDJ doesn't support adding files via UNC paths (\\name\path) to playlists. This just confuses it, which is why the C: is added.

If you wish to use shared network locations in playlists, you will need to map them to a drive letter (E.g: M: ) first and then use that to access and add the files to your playlist.

E.g: From a command prompt (cmd) window, type the following:

net use M: \\share\music

Or if you want the connection to always be mapped:

net use M: \\share\music /persistent:yes

Posted Fri 17 Feb 12 @ 9:43 am
Support staff wrote :
This information is not correct. First, you have posted images from the Mac version when this is a PC technical support topic. Mac works differently to PC for handling its file system.

I have crop the bottom part as screen shots seems to doesn't have any difference from the PC and from the MAC. Yes you are right MAC has different ways of handling file systems as i do it here and it doesn't need to be map. Cheerssss...

Posted Fri 17 Feb 12 @ 10:01 am
Hi,
I have changed the file path in the external hard drive's xml database to match what is being displayed on my new laptop i.e. ( J:\ to E:\).
The problem is that when attempting to play a track from playlist, it displays "Error". When the 'file info' pop up is opened, it still displays "File Path does not exist" and still displays the changed path i.e. (J:\).
Please help.

Posted Thu 07 Feb 13 @ 7:23 am
You must also change the drive letter on the playlist files themselves.
Just open them with a text editor like notepad and replace the old letter with the new one.

Posted Thu 07 Feb 13 @ 7:38 am
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005

Posted Thu 07 Feb 13 @ 11:27 am
Club36PRO InfinityMember since 2011
Hi! Unfortunately, I have exactly the same problem as mentioned in this thread. VJD obviously cannot handle UNC paths in m3u playlists. When looking at the file info diaglogue for a track it alwayls adds a drive letter at the beginning (e.g. C:\\NAS\music...) and cannot Access the file as a result.
Alll other music programs can deal with the same playlists without any Problems.

In my case I have to use UNC paths instead of drive letters because of some other reasons of my network environment. So, why is VDJ not able to handle UNC paths in playlists? Is there any solution?

Posted Wed 11 Dec 13 @ 4:17 pm
A lot of people on this forum have posted on how to make VDJ find their drive especially if like me you have purchased a brand new drive. The solution really is simple and I promised myself I would post it when I found it and here it is.
Open VDJ on the left pane find "computer" click on this, find the drive you want VDJ to see in my case my F" drive, right click on it and you will see "add to search database" et voila!

Posted Sat 20 Jun 15 @ 10:42 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)