Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: master gain - Page: 2

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

It's possible to do this via the registry, but not directly from the options page of VDJ itself (See ZeroDB option)

It's something that may be possible in v8.

Most users should not need to change this (Especially if they don't fully understand it.)

Posted Mon 30 Dec 13 @ 12:01 pm
.....and that registry setting changes the channel autogain, before the limiter?

Posted Mon 30 Dec 13 @ 12:05 pm
NOTE: It's normal for the limiter to kick in for short bursts in songs when normalised to 0dB.

The reason being that many songs have both loud and quiet parts. To raise the quiet parts to bring up the overall volume of the song to 0dB may result in some of the louder parts exceeding it. It's only a problem if the so much gain needs to be applied for normalisation that most of the song is above 0dB and the limiter is continuously triggering.

Pop songs that have been mastered with excessive compression are less likely to have this problem.

Posted Mon 30 Dec 13 @ 12:06 pm
groovindj wrote :
.....and that registry setting changes the channel autogain, before the limiter?

It changes the reference level for the auto gain when initially analysing each song. And yes, the software gain for the song will be adjusted appropriately to raise or lower the overall gain of the song so that it is on average at this level (This doesn't affect songs that have already been analysed.)

The limiter always kicks in at 0dB by default unless you change the headroom option. This would of course cause the limiter to kick in earlier (E.g: 0dB - 2dB headroom = Limiter kicks in at -2dB), but gives more headroom for software EQ/gain.

NOTE: Digital sound cannot exceed 0dB. Hardware gain on analogue mixers of course can, but there are limits.

Posted Mon 30 Dec 13 @ 12:12 pm
TVD UKPRO InfinityMember since 2007
Support staff wrote :
[quote=groovindj].....

NOTE: Digital sound cannot exceed 0dB. Hardware gain on analogue mixers of course can, but there are limits.

So what i see on my denon vu meter is this the db from vdj or is this the denon output i.e my mixer settings

If they are mixer settings, basically the limiter in VDJ just tries its best to send a odb signal to my mixer, then i can increase decrease what i send to the amp/speakers with my denon gains.

Posted Mon 30 Dec 13 @ 12:15 pm
In hardware mixer mode (INT MIX), it shows the analogue sound level, so you should keep it in the green. Hardware gain and EQ applied from the hardware mixer of the MC6000 can boost a signal beyond 0dB (Analogue hardware has headroom to be able to do this, but for best sound quality, you should keep it at 0dB (In the green.))

In software mixer mode (PC MIX), the LED's are mapped by MIDI to VDJ's built-in software channel VU meters. At max level, these are 0dB.

Posted Mon 30 Dec 13 @ 12:18 pm
Ok thanks, just a case of getting it set to suit my setup in the same way i did with my old Denon mixer.
Hopefully avoiding the limiter in VDJ, keeping the denon and my amp in the green.

Posted Mon 30 Dec 13 @ 12:24 pm
OK so I have now set my ZeroDB figure in the registry to 7300 using the registry tool, which will apparently give me 1dB less autogain.

Thanks

Posted Mon 30 Dec 13 @ 12:29 pm
groovindj wrote :
OK so I have now set my ZeroDB figure in the registry to 7300 using the registry tool, which will apparently give me 1dB less autogain.

Thanks

so is it worth me doing similar then?
well done it see what it does now.

Posted Mon 30 Dec 13 @ 12:41 pm
I guess if you have a track which you know was causing the limiter to activate before, you could re-analyse it (presumably by scanning it again) then see if it still makes the limiter activate.

Posted Mon 30 Dec 13 @ 1:02 pm
Out of interest, i have mapped channel gains with (gain -1/gain +1), what can i use for master gain?

Posted Mon 30 Dec 13 @ 2:14 pm

Posted Tue 31 Dec 13 @ 5:49 am
What does the figure 1 represent?

Is it 1 out of 128 MIDI messages, or 1dB or something else?

Posted Tue 31 Dec 13 @ 7:01 am
If you are referring to -1/+1 then this means decrement/increment by one pre-defined step, i.e: One press of a button, one movement 'click' of an endless encoder knob, etc. The actual amount of adjustment for a step depends on the action and is usually set so that excessive button presses or movement of the knob are not required to go from the minimum to the maximum value or vice-versa.

More finer adjustments can be achieved if required by using a percentage instead, e.g: gain -0.1%

Posted Tue 31 Dec 13 @ 7:19 am
rjd137PRO InfinityMember since 2006
groovindj wrote :
Change or add the ONINIT of your mapper to "master_volume 50%". The functionality only works on controllers that send an initialization SysEx to set the position of the knobs.

You can also add a line to the XML of whichever skin you're using...
<init action="master_volume 50%"> which will do the job regardless of whether the MC6000 is connected (but only on that skin).

BTW the % can be anything, up to 100%

Hi, I have the same thing happening, every-time i open vdj8 the master vol is set to 100% id like to change it to like 75% I am not understanding these steps to do this can you be a little more detailed on the steps. thanks.
can i set this without the mixer being conected?

Posted Sat 05 Jul 14 @ 8:03 am
See here

Note that this applies to the keyboard mapping. You could also add it to the MC6000 mapping.

I don't know if the command from the keyboard mapping will be effective when the MC6000 is connected - the MC6000 mapping may override it.

Posted Sat 05 Jul 14 @ 12:28 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)