Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Macbook Pro Video playback issues

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

GPSMDPRO InfinityMember since 2012
Hi All,

I use a Macbook pro (June 2012 model) specs as follows:

Intel i7 2.6GHz processor

8GB memory

1GB dedicated nVidia graphics

OSX 10.8.4

VDJ PRO 7.4

More than enough power to be running VDJ with HD playback, or so you would of thought :)

and use a Denon HC4500 midi controller.

I am experiencing an issue when playing back mp4 files

The video will lag behind (especially when using HD MP4 files) the music. The video will also continue playing (for a few seconds) after I press the cue button even though the audio stops.

I have been in contact with Support and they said to use the reg tool and adjust the Delay, Speedload and FPS settings. However this hasn't resolved the issue.

I can safely say that the issue is with VDJ as the videos play back very smooth on quick time on the external screens :) I am guessing this is due to the inability of VDJ using Hardware acceleration on the mac. (You've gotta love this great, reliable software)

Anyway, have any of you guys experienced similar issues playing mp4 files on your mac and video lagging?

I look forward to your comments and any suggestions in how to resolve the issue.

Cheers

Matt

Posted Sun 30 Jun 13 @ 5:45 am
J-SnipPRO InfinityMember since 2006
Just curious here...have you tried Bootcamping it with Windows, installing VDJ, then see if you have the issue still exists?

Also I have a question for you as I am having this issue...does your clipbank videos play fine? In particular ambient videos with text where you could see if is playing upside down?

Posted Sun 30 Jun 13 @ 5:17 pm
I used to run W7 under bootcamp, then run VDJ on there till i had issues with the controller not being detected. I used to run video on there and it worked ok, however that was just SD MP4 files as apposed to HD ones.

With regards to the clip band I haven't noticed any problems once the files start playing. However when I transition from a music video to the clip bank, the clip bank file starts playing back very fast then slows down to usual speed, very odd i know...

Posted Mon 01 Jul 13 @ 2:51 am
Hmm that is odd. When I tested VDJ 7.3 with my friends MBP retina (it's a new/current model bought in April) I noticed a couple of issues like the clipbank one I mentioned (this has been resolved by completely uninstalling and installing the current VDJ version).

I did not notice the HD issue but that was because I was only playing SD files. For me it made no sense playing HD because 1) file size too big - i'd rather have more content than less 2) the quality is just fine on the monitors at my club.

Question: Was this a completey "new" install of VDJ on your Mac or did you simply "upgrade" to the current version? If it was an "upgrade" you may want to try what support told me to try then see if that resolves your issue.

http://www.virtualdj.com/wiki/Mac%20Clean%20Re-install.html

Posted Mon 01 Jul 13 @ 4:40 pm
Yes it was a new install of VDJ on the mac.

I have just installed windows 7 via bootcamp and VDJ runs fine and HD playback is great, no problems what so ever.

So the issue is defiantly with VDJ Hardware acceleration or the lack of it on the mac.

Posted Tue 02 Jul 13 @ 8:02 am
Hmm...well it sounds like if you want to run HD videos on your MAC you will have to do so via Bootcamp/W7.

That is discouraging to hear that you are having trouble running HD videos on your MBP. I've, pretty much, decided on going MBP with my next upgrade. I don't play HD videos but sure would like that option if I ever decide to. I had already planned on bootcamping it with W7 but after using the native mac VDJ i liked it and, for me, did not find it much different than the Windows version except the MAC doesn't allow for "Recurse" of the folders. :\

Posted Wed 03 Jul 13 @ 8:44 pm
Haui70PRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2008
This is a known issue on Mac side and i hope our Dev Team will find a solution for it in the future.
In the meantime you only can use SD vids or use bootcamp with W7.

Sry :-(

Posted Thu 04 Jul 13 @ 3:09 am
oigan creo q es problema d configuracion porq trabajo cion videos n hd y no tengo problemas

Posted Sat 06 Jul 13 @ 3:57 pm
Sorry, this forum is for English language messages only.

Please either post your message again in English or use the appropriate language forum at the bottom of http://www.virtualdj.com/forums to post in your own language.

Posted Sun 07 Jul 13 @ 11:16 am
Haui70 wrote :
This is a known issue on Mac side and i hope our Dev Team will find a solution for it in the future.
In the meantime you only can use SD vids or use bootcamp with W7.

Sry :-(

Any progress on a solution for this issue?
Anyone been able to figure this out?

Posted Fri 17 Jan 14 @ 8:45 pm
Please share the fix, HD videos keep lagging.

Posted Mon 10 Feb 14 @ 1:28 pm
Haui70PRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2008
I'm sorry but i can't tell you something new. :-(

Posted Tue 11 Feb 14 @ 2:47 am
vjred76PRO InfinityMember since 2013
Is this issue going to be fixed with VDJ 8? And when can we expect that update. You have already debuted it at the trade shows. Release it already, please.

Posted Sun 09 Mar 14 @ 12:32 pm

Posted Tue 11 Mar 14 @ 12:25 am
Hmm shame that fix doesn't work. I am beginning to use faith in VDJ. When was the last time they released updates to patch these issues? I am still having issues when playing back HD MP4 files on the mac. VDJ know this is due to NO HW acceleration on the mac and haven't done anything about it? that and the slideshow issues are really ticking me off now....

Posted Sat 03 May 14 @ 4:13 pm
Now version 8 is out, I shall try this and see if it is any better....

Posted Tue 13 May 14 @ 7:52 am
in vdj 7.4 for mac (maverics) the clipbank stil upside down ! im gona crazy

in version 8 works fine, by the way the performace is going down. when a video is playing in deck and a active/play a sample video the main video and audio start to freezing, and made a little noise, like happens in other version when you move a bar with mouse. in that case i remember that have a safe button in the preferences.

In vdj 8 i made changes in performaces , but dont work

Posted Thu 15 May 14 @ 10:12 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)