Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: DN-S3700 in Hybrid Midi Mode

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

lp894PRO InfinityMember since 2010
I've searched the forums all day and I've seen nothing(in english lol) that explains how to setup the S3700 in Hybrid Midi Mode so I decided to figure it out myself and I got it working(note this is specific to a SL2/3/4 and VDJ 7):

Since VDJ Supports 2960 cycle resolution in Hybrid Midi mode, you might as well set it to that
-Hold down the "Memo" button until you enter preset mode
-Turn the knob until you see cycle 1480, press the knob, then change it to 2960 and press memo to save it

Now on to setting it up:

First - Since VDJ supports the s3700 native, don't change any of the midi settings. If you're changed your midi channel to 5 and 6 for Serato, change both back to Midi Ch. 1(it will work set to midi 5 and 6 but the display won't function neither will the lights light up when you press a button)

Second you need to click the Platter Mode button and make sure the platter is in Jog mode. I haven't been able to get this to work while being in scratch mode. The midi buttons work but the track never plays

1 - Set input to Timecodes, Output to External Mixer, and Sound Card to Rane SL2/3/4
2 - Under Timecode Config, set Vinyl to Other (Relative Mode Only) 1000 KHz
3 - Set Mode to Smart Relative
4 - Click Debug and make sure Disable ClearSound is checked
5 - Click ok on all the windows

You should be good to go now!

Bit of a warning. There is drifting while using timecode mode. If you figure out how to get rid of that please by all means chime in. I haven't figured it out yet though. As long as you don't spin back TOO fast you don't have any drifting that I can notice. Straight MIDI mode is the only way I've been able to get rid of all drifting, but the platter is MUCH more responsive when in Hybrid MIDI mode

Posted Mon 25 Feb 13 @ 6:56 pm
DJJAMMPRO InfinityMember since 2005
VDJ does not Supports 2960 cycle resolution and in Hybrid Midi mode the resolution is not applicable. In Order to run the 3700 in midi mode, not hybrid you must have the resolution set to 1480.

Reason For the drift could be partly soundcard related. Most likely is the failure of the vdj's timecode engine which is sub par, therefore until the timecode engine is re written/corrected you will have to live with it the way it is .. By the way do not believe anyone when they tell you the timecode is perfect.

Lets Hope VDJ 8 addresses the timecode issue, I have faith they will.....

JAMM

Posted Tue 26 Feb 13 @ 4:52 pm
DJJAMM wrote :
VDJ does not Supports 2960 cycle resolution and in Hybrid Midi mode the resolution is not applicable. In Order to run the 3700 in midi mode, not hybrid you must have the resolution set to 1480.

Reason For the drift could be partly soundcard related. Most likely is the failure of the vdj's timecode engine which is sub par, therefore until the timecode engine is re written/corrected you will have to live with it the way it is .. By the way do not believe anyone when they tell you the timecode is perfect.

Lets Hope VDJ 8 addresses the timecode issue, I have faith they will.....

JAMM

I'll change the "guide" to no worry about platter resolution. Thanks for the info. I knew about the midi mode settings. I know timecode isn't perfect, it's actually WORSE in virtual dj, but I do have to agree the latency is essentially non-existent for the platter. Scratching feels alot better in timecode mode than it does in pure Midi mode. That, however, may be partly because VDJ7 doesn't support 2960 platter resolution, which I think would help resolve that issue if in VDJ 8 it does.

Posted Wed 27 Feb 13 @ 11:24 am
DJJAMMPRO InfinityMember since 2005
HEY LP, You are correct, If vdj can get the platter resolution to 2960 that would definitely make a big difference, right now if you pull off baby scratches the way it is in straight midi mode " it will drift noticably forward" I know it has been mentioned and was worked on at one point, I also hope that Denon works with VDJ more because VDJ has a great program to offer "my opinion of course" and if vdj 8 when and if it ever comse out, is released with being a step above the others on all aspects then you will see companys like Denon and pioneer jumping on the vdj bandwagon. I do not mind waiting if that is what it takes. Honestly I feel VDJ bit off more than it could chew with the vdj 8 rewrite. By the time VDJ 8 comes out who knows what other software companys will be doing by then, traktor and Serato have really stepped it up lately incorporating midi controllers with their software. look at the ns7 II , that is a beast and the day it is released by numark the users of serato will just plug in it and it will work.. To Me that is just beautiful. That Is the way hardware should be released.. look how long the 3700 has been out and vdj doesnt even have it working to its full potential of 2960. you cannot tell me that vdj cant fix that, they can they just dont want to, it works good enough they figure...

once again lets hope for a good release of vdj 8

JAMM

Posted Thu 28 Feb 13 @ 1:44 am
I agree 100% about everything you said. Thing is, VDJ focuses on making sure it supports the most controllers, I get that. A lot of DJ's are going controller based. Problem for me is this: I buy a $600 SL2 to use with Serato, and I don't even get functionality across other platforms? Not even other software you OWN! (Serato DJ) I buy a $300 box from NI and again...no functionality across other platforms. My 3700s don't even work with hybrid mode because traktor decides to change to a 2.5 KHz signal. I can't use an SL2 with Traktor, I can't use an Audio 6 with Serato. I can use either with VDJ, but latency is terrible. So.....I upgrade my 3700s.

I buy 2 brand new DN-S3900's. I can use my SL2 and they're Native to Serato so all my lights, etc function out of the box. I can use them native with Traktor Pro(or buy a box and use TSP). But now, I can ONLY use them in hybrid mode in VDJ because VDJ doesn't support the platter of the S3900. So I get the NS7....spinning platter, good latency, can be used with Serato Itch/DJ, native to Traktor and VDJ....but now I'm stuck with a 2 channel mixer unless I buy an external mixer which kind of defeats the purpose of a controller anyway lol.
Speaking of NS7....that NS7II SWEET GOD!!!!!!! I would cut my own head of and GLADLY put it on a platter for that puppy. I'm also a fan of Pioneer's new controller for Serato DJ.
I'll tell you what needs to happen. Technic(Panasonic) needs to come out with a new SLDZ1200 that has a usb port for midi control lol. I play with those puppies at Guitar Center and it BLEW my mind lol.

Anyway....here's to hoping VDJ8 comes out.....soon(or ever)

Posted Thu 28 Feb 13 @ 9:48 pm
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
lp894 wrote :
I buy 2 brand new DN-S3900's. I can use my SL2 and they're Native to Serato so all my lights, etc function out of the box. I can use them native with Traktor Pro(or buy a box and use TSP). But now, I can ONLY use them in hybrid mode in VDJ because VDJ doesn't support the platter of the S3900.

For the SC3900 I believe both Serato and Traktor are also using Hybrid MIDI mode if you want the motorised platter on. I can't find anything to the contrary - in fact the SC3900 thread on the SSL forums advises you to use hybrid MIDI mode, as do the NI/DJTT/Denon forums.

BTW I personally own and use a pair of SC3900s with Virtual DJ - I can assure you that full MIDI support for these is far from forgotten.

Posted Fri 01 Mar 13 @ 11:05 pm
I know you can only use them in hybrid mode in Serato and Traktor, but timecode mode in VDJ 7.3 sucks. Now, I LOVE VDJ, I use VDJ often, only reason I use Serato is cause at most of the places I dj, they provide turntables and a rane mixer or another mixer and a SL2/3/4 so I need to be able to use it if I'm going to plug in and go on my laptop. I would prefer to use VDJ but the timecode mode just isn't there yet unfortunately. Like I said I'm PRAYING VDJ 8 fixes that issue. And does it suck that a year after I buy S3700's denon decides to one up me? Sure, but I can't blame anyone but me for that. Either way, I'd like to use what I have to its full potential and so far I cant. That's all I'm saying. Again, not really any one persons fault, just a qualm I have.

Posted Sat 02 Mar 13 @ 5:18 pm
DJJAMM wrote :
HEY LP, You are correct, If vdj can get the platter resolution to 2960 that would definitely make a big difference
once again lets hope for a good release of vdj 8

JAMM

Looks like we got what we wished for lol. The thing that has impressed me most is not only the 2960 platter resolution, but the fact that if I would hold the platter and press play in 7.3, it would play for about half a second before VDJ would register the platter isn't moving. Now if I do it, that song doesn't move a millisecond. It INSTANTLY registers that I'm holding the platter. Serato doesn't do that for me. Plus I can't get sticker drift to happen AT ALL on this baby!(which isn't a complaint).

Posted Sat 27 Apr 13 @ 7:24 am
Followed instructions above for vdj and dns3700 hybrid, but cannot manipulate track with platter. It spins along with track, but will not control track. Any idea what may be wrong. MacBook Pro..dns3700, audio8dj and external mixer

Posted Fri 29 Dec 17 @ 3:09 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)