Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Can anyone help with Pioneer DDJ-SX settings? - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

Djay_7PRO InfinityMember since 2004
(copied from the premium members part of the forum)
Hi guys!

Just wondered if I can grab a little help with setting up the Pioneer DDJ-SX please?... I have put the controller into "other software" mode, and have the mapping working fine. My problem is just with the sound setup.

External Mixer Mode
1. If I use external mixer mode and select "Pioneer DDJ_SX ASIO", I get audio out of deck 1 to the speakers, but nothing out of deck 2. If I move the sliders up, I do hear the output from both decks in the headphones.

2. If I now change the output so deck 1 uses channels 3&4 and deck 2 uses channels 1&2, the output from deck 2 can be heard on the output, but deck 1 can't. The headphones still work the same though.

3. Pressing "cue" buttons will light up the indicator on the SX, and also lights the software, but you can't hear it in the headphones unless the volume slider is up (basically the cue buttons just operate the lights and do nothing else).

Advanced Config
1. "Pioneer DDJ_SX ASIO" only shows 4 channels, but "Speakers (PIONEER DDJ-SX) shows 8 channels, although you can't select 5&6 or 7&8 as it gives an error when trying to apply the settings.

2. In advanced and using the ASIO option, the audio plays but stutters and is very choppy (I have tried all the different latency settings, and it just makes the sound choppy with an echo, or no echo but still choppy - unusable basically). If I set it to the Speakers option and use channel 1&2 and 3&4, it plays fine, but the same problems exist with the cue as mentioned above.

Just for the record, I do have an American Audio VMS4 which has its ASIO drivers on this laptop too, as I can't use the Pioneer at the moment and I need to do live gigs. This works without issues. If I use the Serato DJ software, everything works perfectly, with no audio stutters and latency can be set very low without any issues - basically I know the laptop can cope is what I am saying.

If anyone has any suggestions or ideas, please can you point me in the right direction, as I want to start using this controller for my radio shows (on VDJ Radio every Friday night ;) ) and for my live gigs... :)

Thanks in advance!!
Matt (aka Djay7 on VDJ Radio)

Posted Mon 19 Nov 12 @ 5:31 am
I can't tell for sure but I have the impression that you must use the following settings:
Inputs: None
Outputs: Headphones
Soundcard: ASIO

This way the mixing happens internally in VDJ and not in the mixer off the DDJ.

I don't have the unit, but from all the documentation I have read in order to create the mapping this seems to be only way to get the sound right out of the unit. Please take a moment to read the mappers documentation (download the PDF user manual and read it) as it explains the mixer section better.

PS: The mixer of the DDJ is a hybrid mixer. It will be "MIDI" mixer when the "input" is set to PC, and "analog" when the input is set to MIC/CD/PHONO/LINE

Posted Mon 19 Nov 12 @ 5:45 am
ciocePRO InfinityMember since 2004
Djay_7 wrote :
Advanced Config

2. In advanced and using the ASIO option, the audio plays but stutters and is very choppy (I have tried all the different latency settings, and it just makes the sound choppy with an echo, or no echo but still choppy - unusable basically). If I set it to the Speakers option and use channel 1&2 and 3&4, it plays fine, but the same problems exist with the cue as mentioned above.

The DDJ-ERGO in ASIO have the same problem if I try advanced audio config, I think it's a bug never fixed into VDJ related to the ASIO Pioneer driver, I had also reported this to the Italian teamer Moramax many months ago.

Posted Mon 19 Nov 12 @ 5:59 am
PhantomDeejay wrote :
I can't tell for sure but I have the impression that you must use the following settings:

nope.. "Outputs: External Mixer" - only option you have then is to select deck 1 on ch1&2 or 3&4 and deck 2 either ch3&4 or 1&2 depending on which of the 2 options you select

PhantomDeejay wrote :
I don't have the unit, but from all the documentation I have read in order to create the mapping this seems to be only way to get the sound right out of the unit. Please take a moment to read the mappers documentation (download the PDF user manual and read it) as it explains the mixer section better.

I have all the mapping working fine, and I get the thing to work how it should if I select the ASIO driver, however the sound is terrible no matter what settings I use for latency etc.. If I select the "speaker" option, the sound is perfect, but you can only get one deck to output sound to the amplifier...

PhantomDeejay wrote :
PS: The mixer of the DDJ is a hybrid mixer. It will be "MIDI" mixer when the "input" is set to PC, and "analog" when the input is set to MIC/CD/PHONO/LINE

So it's pretty much the same type of thing as my VMS4 then ;)

I've worked within the IT sector for just over 20 years, so I am fine with messing with all the settings and have a good knowledge of drivers and the issues you can get, but this problem seems to be something with the ASIO driver not being read/functioning correctly with the VDJ software to me...

Posted Mon 19 Nov 12 @ 6:56 am
gullumPRO InfinityMember since 2007
I only have Mac so no asio but I've set mine up with advanced config.
Master / Pioneer DDJ SX ( Output 1&2
Headphones / Pioneer DDJ SX / Output 3&4

should be similare with windows where instead you have pioner ASIO or something like that

Posted Mon 19 Nov 12 @ 11:14 am
Djay_7 wrote :
PhantomDeejay wrote :

nope.. "Outputs: External Mixer" - only option you have then is to select deck 1 on ch1&2 or 3&4 and deck 2 either ch3&4 or 1&2 depending on which of the 2 options you select

I have the impression that this unit CAN'T be used on "external mixer" mode. It would have to be able to function as an analog mixer when connected to the PC, which doesn't apply.
Have you tried to use "Headphones" option ?
This way the 2 first channels of it's soundcard would go to the master output of the unit, and the other 2 would be used for headphones. I haven't studied the technical details very much, but I don't think that this unit has a 8-out soundcard that would be needed to run all 4 channels.

Posted Mon 19 Nov 12 @ 11:21 am
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Djay_7 wrote :
PhantomDeejay wrote :

No, PhantomDeejay is correct on his recommendation. And External Mixer is not the only option you have if you are actually running your PRO version. It might be the only option you have if you launched your VMS4 LE version.

The Pioneer DDJ-SX only has a 4-out sound card. Therefore the correct audio configuration would be as follows:

Outputs: Headphones Master: 1&2 / Headphones: 3&4
Soundcard: ASIO Device: Pioneer DDJ_SX ASIO

As for OSX platform, the options would be the same just selecting the 4-out card instead of ASIO.

Posted Mon 19 Nov 12 @ 1:12 pm
Thanks for the help guys! Works using that setup! Never thought of using Master/Headphones...
Had to play with the mapping a little to setup cue properly, but now all is good!!

Posted Mon 19 Nov 12 @ 5:44 pm
Be carefull when you mess with the mapping, and especially the PFL buttons. Otherwise you may have troubles using the "hardware" part of the mixer at the same time with the software. If you need any help regarding any changes you might want to do please feel free to drop me a PM.

Posted Mon 19 Nov 12 @ 5:51 pm
Just a quick note to say there's a little bug in your mapping... on the right hand effect deck, the mapping for "deck right effect slider 1" is spelt "Sllider" (with 2 "L"s in there)... have changed it on mine ;)

All working as I need it now though!! Time to sort out a skin ;) hehe... thanks for all your help.

Posted Tue 20 Nov 12 @ 10:05 am
Thanks for the info. I will fix it on the next update. :)

Posted Tue 20 Nov 12 @ 10:18 am
DJLo50PRO InfinityMember since 2009
I noticed the Master Volume nobe, the Booth Volume Nobe, and the Headphone Mix Nobe is not mapped though I'm not sure they r suppose to be. Also would like to know who to get the deck 3 and deck 4 button to flash when pressed.

Posted Wed 21 Nov 12 @ 3:29 pm
The knobs you mention are hardware controlled and they DON'T send MIDI messages. Thus they can't be mapped.

For the leds, you want them to blink or what?
I can provide you the code but I need to know what you want them to do...

Posted Wed 21 Nov 12 @ 4:25 pm
DJLo50PRO InfinityMember since 2009
PhantomDeejay wrote :
The knobs you mention are hardware controlled and they DON'T send MIDI messages. Thus they can't be mapped.

For the leds, you want them to blink or what?
I can provide you the code but I need to know what you want them to do...

Figured as much. Well I dont use four deck mixing (i just dont have a need for it) so I wanted to make the 3 and 4 deck buttons bass kill buttons that flash when the kills on. I'm not sure it that will even work with the way those buttons are designed.

Posted Wed 21 Nov 12 @ 4:54 pm
No, it won't work. At least not in the way you think.
When you press these buttons, the unit switches HARDWARE layers.
In other words, when you press "Deck 3" button, the unit not only sends a command on VirtualDJ, but it ALSO changes the commands that the buttons on the left side send to the software.
If you are using a 2 deck skin then this won't have a very big impact. But if you are using a 4 decks skin (and you just use 2 of the 4 available decks) then when you press the "Deck 3" button, your left side of the controller will start to control deck 3 no matter what command this button has mapped.

If you want to map "KILL EQ" buttons, then perhaps you could use buttons 6,7&8 of the PAD. They are mapped as hotcue6, hotcue7 and hotcue8.
If you don't use that much hotcues you can change them to kill your EQ and set their leds to blink.

If you need further assistance with this, please let me know. Thanks!

Posted Thu 22 Nov 12 @ 3:43 am
djesco1PRO InfinityMember since 2007
First update the Firmware this fixes some minor issues:
Here are the steps to do this (Instructional Video): http://youtu.be/0FK2IxiH2AM

After I performed the update everything worked smoothly. :)

My Virtual DJ Configuration Tab Settings ( Sound Setup )

Inputs: NONE
Outputs: EXTERNAL MIXER Deck 1: Channel 1&2 Deck 2: Channel 3&4
Sound Card: 4-OUT CARD
Be sure to hit "Apply" then "OK"

Hope this helps!
DJ Esco

Search Keywords / Phrases : Mac OSX Pioneer DDJ-SX with Virtual DJ Trouble shoot configuration guide

Posted Wed 12 Dec 12 @ 9:39 pm
That's a good news! Can you perform or make a short video with the SX together with VDJ and all the buttons and pads functionality? Thanks!

Posted Sat 15 Dec 12 @ 12:17 am
Hello, what i am doing wrong? running the newest VDJ , on my MacBook Pro 13inch, DDJ SX on mode "for other software"..etc
... but the SX cant be found on VDJ site ....if i use simple midi wraper, i am able to map something (VDJ react also on the DDJ SX) but with your mapping it is not working - looks like death for the pc :(

Please i need help.

Posted Sat 15 Dec 12 @ 2:10 pm
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
martin.ruzani wrote :
Hello, what i am doing wrong?

Register your serial number, download the latest version, and then download the mapper for the DDJ-SX that was built by PhantomDeeJay.

Posted Sat 15 Dec 12 @ 2:33 pm
djesco1PRO InfinityMember since 2007

Posted Fri 21 Dec 12 @ 7:52 pm
35%