Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Skins

Topic: well the other skin is dead, but this was born as a result... - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

it still needs a little work on the design but it's pretty close :-D... now that the fun is over it's time to figure out how to make everything work... Oh and can a mod lock the other thread it doesn't need to stay open...

has anyone got any suggestions of colors for the buttons when they are off? every shade of grey i have tried is lacking and i think the yellow in the creame detracts from the blue and purple theme and makes it look too busy...

also not sure it I should use the bevald edge as it can look tacky if not used cautiously. the left side is normal, the right is bevaled, any suggestions are appreciated.

normal

bevaled

Posted Mon 23 Apr 12 @ 1:38 pm
Original thread locked as requested

Keith

Posted Mon 23 Apr 12 @ 3:16 pm
JeremKPRO InfinityStaffMember since 2004
This looks like a really good Skin synthetic.

I think the beveled (right) deck looks better BUT it shouldn't be beveled inside the effects section.

I find the yellow/sand color is good for when the buttons aren't active.

Posted Tue 24 Apr 12 @ 9:10 am
I agree to you. But a beveled looking costs much place..
lay-out looks great ;o)

Posted Wed 25 Apr 12 @ 3:30 pm
This is one really nice looking skin plus its not cluttered, keep up the good work.

Posted Thu 26 Apr 12 @ 4:23 am
What was the issue with the previous one then?

Something related to the look / style of the knobs? :-)

Posted Thu 26 Apr 12 @ 8:08 am
thanks for the feedback guys,

unfortunately progress has slowed a lot, it's really hard to add features without cluttering everything up.. i can stick the video and extra decks for extra video samples, samplers with waveforms and deck 3 & 4 on pannels that interchange, but cant decide on a pitch fader or transport controls after trying heaps of different options... i'll post up another pic once I get something good, but it's trial and error as I don't really know what I'm doing yet, but it's coming quickly as through dumb luck i found out how to use groups & combine different vector's, which is something I knew nothing about when i used photoshop last time :-)

@groovin - The knobs are still there, but there covered by better looking ones lol ;-), but the more definition I gave the background the less minimal and more plain they looked

I'd love to know what features will be in vdj8 so I could incorperate them, but I guess we have to wait, but I'm really hoping we can freely move pannels around the skin like the teaser showed with effects and the samples have wavforms anyway, that would be awesome :-D

Posted Thu 26 Apr 12 @ 10:43 am
OT:
Buddy, seems I missed something:
Congratulations for your new status.
Thinks the star hits the right one ;o)

Greets
Music234

back to topic

Posted Thu 26 Apr 12 @ 11:05 am
synthet1c wrote :
cant decide on a pitch fader or transport controls

How about something like this?

Posted Thu 26 Apr 12 @ 2:41 pm
2 decks

2 decks & sampler

2 decks, video sample decks & normal video

4 decks

the limits from a design perspective are that you cant use 4 decks with video or samples as it will take too much room on the screen and be too much coding for the extra pannels required to do it (which is the main reason LOL)

@groovin I like that it's nice and simple I'll give it a try... but I'm sort of thinking maybe a numerical readout that changes color when the pitch is on zero would do, the only reason I ever look at the on screen pitch fader is to reset it to the position of my TT's or controller... pitch faders seem to be out of fasion these days lol

@music -Thanks, It's awesome news :-D

I guess I can't really show much more progress as I will tailor it to any new features in VDJ8 and it might be a conflict of interest to show anything, but i'll probably sort out the two deck one and work up from there... but I think the core elements and sizes will remain the same, accept the effect knobs can be made a little smaller and I'm still not happy with the sand color but maybe because is such a contrast to use yellow that could be the "on" color as it definately draws your eye towards it without being overpowering when it's in PNG format and the individual colors don't really work .... but if there are any suggestions i'm glad to hear them.

Posted Fri 27 Apr 12 @ 12:02 am
Granted on-screen controls aren't stricting necessary if you're using a controller - but I think it's good to have something there, even if it's really small and/or basic, just in case you need control when your external device isn't to hand.

I did think of having + and - buttons to adjust the pitch up and down, but then they're usually given the job of pitch nudge controls so it may confuse people.

Posted Fri 27 Apr 12 @ 7:06 am
I'm learning an important lesson in skinning.... grey isn't actually grey... a desaturated bronze or navy seems to work best, now to find a color scheme that looks good together because without a little color everything just looks ...grey lol

2 deck skin is going well everything works! pics when I figure out the colors

Posted Tue 01 May 12 @ 9:15 am
Time for an update of progress....

It looks a little messy with all the different colours showing at the same time, but I have build the architecture to choose your own colour for the effects knobs, eq's, vu meters, wave's, cue point buttons & browser. The only things your not able to change are the loop buttons and the textzone's because I like green for loops, and the important textzones are animated...

The colors present 2 benifits imo... obviously personalization to suit your favorite colours... but the big one for power users and controllerists is that you can set conditions to every colour eg. load a particular bank of effects with blue etc.. or just have it as feedback for shifts on your controller... It is also there to make it possible to put in extra decks later.

In regard to the cue points, I will make the first 5 able to change the skin colour as we are unable to change the ones in the rythmzone, and it remains to be seen if this will change in VDJ8 but it's best to be ready for it if it does get included. I have also made a cool cue name menu that allows you to quickly name the cuepoint... the names can be edited in the xml file to reflect what you would want.

The other cool thing is the textzones, at the moment the bpm display will be green if the bpm's on both decks match, otherwise if the deck is on pitch zero it will be yellow. If neither are true the text will be grey.

The other animated textzone is "time remain" It will start off grey and as the song progresses it will turn orange then flash red at the end to warn you.. if you aren't playing a track on the opposite deck it will blink more rapidly as an extra warning that you are running out of time to mix.

there is also a hidden pitch fader and cbg editor..

A question... should I include red so you can make it the standard blue/red or are the brighter neon colors enough "I have limited red to the warning and the logo (which if I could change I would LOL)". Also should I keep the 3 effects with 2 parameters each, or go with the more trakitional 4 effect knob layout, and have it switchable between 4 single effects, 2 pairs and 1 effect with 4 parameters...

back to it, I need to figure out some decent buttons and I stuffed up the knobs as there is a small wobble so I'm going to redraw them more precisely than before LOL

Any feature suggestions are welcome as my ideas are slowing down

EDIT=========

Not sure if it's my tablet but it looks really dark on the forum? It's got a brushed alloy look to the surfaces at the moment

Posted Sun 06 May 12 @ 7:35 pm
Nice work ;o)
...just an idea , cause you wrote "my ideas are slowing down":
what about make a button to chain two effects (e.g. fx1 par. 1 => left-side/right-side select chain) and "drop" 2 effects on one slider-button?
I think you know what I mean....
Suggestions (just my op.!)
Animated textzones are pretty cool, but I would reduce the use of colors.
Flashing the time near the end of track is o.k., but three colors and flashing is to much imo.
On the other side I like the change of color for the bpm.

Skinning is fun. Stay tuned!

Greets
Music234

Posted Tue 08 May 12 @ 12:49 am
thanks for the feedback music, the picture isn't really representative of the operation of the colors, the way it works is the entire unit changes colors not the individual controls, that was just me changing the intensity of the rings so its the colors I will use, but it will have pink, orange, yellow, green, teal, pale light blue, blue, purple. so if your conservative you can have the whole thing in the same color or use a different color for each deck... If not you can use different colors for different conditions. But that's why I wanted to know if I should include red as it's a few clicks of the mouse and some copying and pasting in the xml now, but because I can't work with too many vector graphics it will be much harder to include at a later stage.

The colors of the text are actually pretty good imo, as the bpm provides all the feedback you need & the time remain is very effective at drawing your attention when it's needed as it changes the color over 5 different shades before settling on orange then will bling on the down beat with 20% remaining. If you don't have the opposite deck playing it blinks on the first and third beat with 10% remaining, then every 300ms if you still haven't pressed play on the other deck. If however the other deck is playing for the last 20% it will just blink on the downbeat

In regard to the dual effects i'm all over it, but the problem is you can't use "param_multiply" & "param_add" on skins sliders so it would be controller only to use, but would still be represented on screen. In regard to buttons that's not a problem either, I was going to include functionality similar to my icon idj, which has my beat masher, modulating effects, deun deun's beatslicer, feedback delay & ramp delay

I have also figured out a way to use key learn with any controller to get full control of the skins features if you have enough spare controls.

Posted Tue 08 May 12 @ 2:09 am
flat! not beveled! the beveled edge looks to old-school the flat is more modern like SSL or something!

Posted Sun 20 May 12 @ 10:54 am
hey matteas,

thanks for your input... It is no longer beveled as much, it's only 1 pixel so just for a tiny bit of shading to define the edge..

a question aswell... I am thinking of ways of doing the rhythmwave pannels, I want to have 9 colors with overlapping wave's and both colors available to both decks, that is (9x9) 81 pannels, which I have no problem with making but is there a better way to do it with less pannels?

Posted Mon 21 May 12 @ 6:26 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
Nope

Posted Mon 21 May 12 @ 6:53 pm
I believe that soon you are going to hit the limit... :P

VDJ has a "limit" in the number of panels you can create. To make a long story short just use the smallest names possible for your panels. This will help you to increase the number of the panels you can create.

Posted Tue 22 May 12 @ 12:23 am
LOL, i have 373 at the moment and hoping i can reach 500 - 600 to include 4 decks, video & deck samplers which will probably end up being able to swithch to left and right, time will tell I guess but my pannel names were pretty long, they are hard to read now but 4-5 characters... fingers crossed ;-)

Posted Tue 22 May 12 @ 12:47 am
36%