Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: DDJ-S1 Help - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

OK purchased a DDJ-S1 last night, hooked it up to my MBP, and it does not show in the mappers. Unpluged the USB with VDJ open and back in, rescanned, and nothing. The S1 shows in the sound config without issue, and works. I reset the controller, and the Mac in about 20 different times in different orders, again still does not show. Checked show all devices, manually selected the S1, and it does not react to anything. I though well possibly it is a defective controller, so I installed Itch, and it works like a champion.

Here is what I can tell you. If I select simple MIDI device, and click learn, it does pick up the buttons, so I know it is seeing the device. The jogs light up on the four corners.

Here is what I am running..
Early 2011 MBP 15" (I have tried both my 2.0GHz and 2.4GHz models)
Lion 10.7.3
VDJ 7.0.5 Mac edition

The only thing I can think is maybe I received a newer model of the S1 which has a different firmware or maybe they changed the sysexid for some reason? Is there a way to get the sysexid on a Mac, and is there a way to see what the mapper that is built in to VDJ 7.0.5 is looking for on the sysexid?

Posted Mon 12 Mar 12 @ 7:25 am
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
While VirtualDJ is closed, goto Applications->Utilities->Audio Midi Setup. Choese from the menu to show the Midi Page. Rename the Pioneer as
DDJ-S1 MIDI or DDJS1 or DDJ-S1 . One of those name should work. Every time you change the name of the device, open VirtualDJ and check if sees the device properly

Posted Mon 12 Mar 12 @ 10:30 am
OK now it recognizes it I had to name it "DDJ-S1 MIDI" without Pioneer.

A couple of issues. I seem to have the scratch issue. It seems to be with the jog resolution. All LED's on the Left side are wacky. The jog's led's jump all over the place. The track length LED above the touchstrip doesn't light up unless it you use the touchstrip to skip into the track, it doesn't follow along with the length of the track. The PFL LED's for channel 1, just the first light (on bottom) lights up but doesn't seem to move. Even with no track loaded it just lights the bottom LED.

So besides the annoyance with the LED's on left side, all functions seem to work. It is just that the scratch wheel doesn't seem to move the track far enough to actually emulate scratching. I'm sure we can get these bugs ironed out.

Posted Mon 12 Mar 12 @ 11:58 am
So does anyone have any ideas about the LED's freaking out. The scratching is less important to me, but if you know the fix for that, that would be great as well. I am 99% sure it's not a latency issue, it definately seems like a jog resolution issue. For example I have to turn the jog wheel 4 full times for it to actually equal one revolution in the track.

Posted Tue 13 Mar 12 @ 6:47 am
djk-taPRO InfinityMember since 2009
i have the same problem please help

Posted Wed 14 Mar 12 @ 10:33 pm
Does anyone have any suggestions to fix the wacky LED issues with the left deck?

Also I have seen all of the threads about scratching issues, but I have yet to see a solution that works.

Posted Thu 15 Mar 12 @ 8:50 pm
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
The Cue-Scratch sensitivity of the jog can be adjusted in Config->Options

About the LEDs, can you upload a video please ?

Posted Fri 16 Mar 12 @ 1:19 pm

Posted Fri 16 Mar 12 @ 1:46 pm
Thanks guys, I will get some video up this weekend, and no I didn't update the firmware or drivers. The firmware was verified to be up to date. The drivers for Windows don't help much on Mac ;) lol

Posted Fri 16 Mar 12 @ 10:39 pm

Posted Mon 19 Mar 12 @ 7:54 pm
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Did you install any mappers from our website or others? If you did, do a reset to defaults on the mapper tab for the DDJ-S1.

Also, you are using a power adapter with the unit?

Posted Wed 21 Mar 12 @ 12:02 pm
No other mappers have been installed, just the included VDJ mapper.

Yes I am using the Power Cord. I am going to try it with my other MBP tonight, if it acts the same, then I am going to test with a Windows Laptop. That will tell us if it is something I have setup on that computer, or if it is an overall Mac glitch. PS Both MBP's are current gen i7 MacBooks.

Posted Wed 21 Mar 12 @ 1:40 pm
I tried my other MBP, and it did the exact same thing.

I'll try Winblows tonight.

Posted Thu 22 Mar 12 @ 7:04 am
Anyone?

Posted Sun 25 Mar 12 @ 10:56 pm
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
You said you were going to test on Windows ... was waiting for you to post about it ...

What you are describing and showing in your video is completely weird - and you are the only one that I have heard of experiencing that problem.

Mind you - I have an S1 and used it on both OSX and Windows and don't experience the issue. Now, I don't have the i7 MBP - nor Lion - so, that might be why I haven't seen the problem.

Posted Mon 26 Mar 12 @ 1:30 pm
Alright,
Played with it tonight on my old XP setup, had to upgrade to 7.05b for it to recognize the mapper from 7.02. Absolutely no issues with the LED's. So it either the newer chipset on the 2011 and above MBP's or Lion. Can someone else try it on another Mac with older hardware and Lion, so we can figure out if it is Lion or the newer MBP's? If not maybe I can commendere my wifes 2010 MBP.

Posted Sun 01 Apr 12 @ 10:36 pm
cstoll, djdad,
Any other suggestions (and don't say use the Windows Machine....lol).

Posted Sun 08 Apr 12 @ 9:42 pm
djstevieray wrote :
cstoll, djdad, Any other suggestions (and don't say use the Windows Machine....lol).

What is wrong with windows machines? Windows machines are best and mostly supported by most of the companies producing theirs GEARS as the priority than your MAC. LOL

Posted Mon 09 Apr 12 @ 1:03 am
I'm thinking about purchasing a DDJ-S1 and am using a MBP. Has a solution been found for the Left Deck LED issue?
-dj.tt

Posted Fri 13 Apr 12 @ 3:37 am
I am still trying to find one myself. What are the specs on you MBP?

Posted Fri 13 Apr 12 @ 10:30 am
63%