Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Best rear projection screen material?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

... now I'm looking for the best material to make a screen out of for 'rear-projection'.

Hello VDJ World.

(Short version of the post, since I tend to get winded on these....)

What sort of material would be BEST for projecting an image BEHIND, in the case of a mobile rear projector? A few searches on google keep pointing me to spandex, but i'm not 100% this would be the best option.

(Long version of the post)

I am finally going to be taking my Video to the next level, and separate myself from most DJs around my area. I'm trying to build a rig that will host a short throw 3000 lumen projector and push the image through some sort of material (spandex-ish).

I got the idea from this video (he is on the forums I believe)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dzZKPSsjOg&feature=player_embedded

(Just looked it up, yes he is. His name is LINEMAN55)

Anywho....

I wanted to go with a short throw for the same reasons as his, lack of space. This also meant that I wanted to build something custom so in the event that I DO have the space, I have the option of going bigger.

What i'm planning on is an interchangeable base that the projector mounts on, but a choice of 3 screen sizes depending on the venue. Also, I would have to mark the mounting point of the projector's distance to the screen either with some sort of notch, or pre-determined markings so it would be a plug and play job.

The materials would be the same as in his build (pvc), but i'm torn as to what material would be the best surface for the screen. One concern I have is that ANY lights coming from behind the screen (lets say my back is to a window) would shine through the back of the screen, screwing up what my audience would see. The other is the clarity and quality of the image being projected may be 'softened' by a poor material.

Ah well, looking for some input here, hope to hear from you soon!

CHEERS!

Posted Sun 04 Dec 11 @ 8:19 pm
I went to my local cloth shop and just told em what I was doin and they hooked me up,

Simple but it works, lol!!

Good Luck and Enjoy
Huey

Posted Sun 04 Dec 11 @ 9:18 pm
Yes, but how would you rate the sharpness of the image? I'm not going for ultra 'theater' like quality, I just don't want the image to be softened, and look 'budget'.

Also, I noticed that the material you used in the video (never quite caught the name of the material by the way) was very flat. Did you iron it out, or does it de-wrinkle when you stretch it out?

Another thing, when you stood 'behind' the screen, the burst of light coming from the projector seems to PIERCE through the material, that could be a problem. Do you think that it takes away from the viewer looking at the music video? Is it distracting, or annoying to the viewer?

Posted Sun 04 Dec 11 @ 11:41 pm
Mods, since you've changed the topic of this post, now the title doesn't even have anything to do with what i'm asking. Could you maybe change it to

"I'm looking for the best material to make a screen out of for 'rear-projection'.

That would make more sense, I don't think anyone would care if they saw "Just bought a new projector" as the title of the post, big friggin deal... lol.

Posted Mon 05 Dec 11 @ 4:46 pm
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
Title changed for you :)

Posted Mon 05 Dec 11 @ 7:08 pm
dj schmidty wrote :
Yes, but how would you rate the sharpness of the image? I'm not going for ultra 'theater' like quality, I just don't want the image to be softened, and look 'budget'.

Also, I noticed that the material you used in the video (never quite caught the name of the material by the way) was very flat. Did you iron it out, or does it de-wrinkle when you stretch it out?

Another thing, when you stood 'behind' the screen, the burst of light coming from the projector seems to PIERCE through the material, that could be a problem. Do you think that it takes away from the viewer looking at the music video? Is it distracting, or annoying to the viewer?

I would say the pictures not that bad, sure it could be better but for 15 bucks in material, lol! I never did ask her what its called. It's a spandex type cloth so when you stretch it out the wrinkles disappear. As far as that hot spot goes it could be distracting to the viewer. Most of the time when we do shows were on a stage so it really hasn't been a problem. There is some material out there that gets rid of the hot spots but its like 800 bucks I believe. I've since gotten a different stand for it but the PVC served its purpose, lol!!

Sorry I couldn't be more help
Huey

Posted Mon 05 Dec 11 @ 7:33 pm
One thing you want to consider is how much you are going to stretch the material. The more it is stretched, the more light that is let through. If I had to do it over I would buy more material.

Mine is spandex bought at JoAnns fabric. Does not wrinkle and it was easy to install grommets.

I have a YouTube video that shows it: "CTHS Prom 2011 DJ Equipment"

Posted Mon 05 Dec 11 @ 11:51 pm
Hey, I like how you made that frame for the screen, Huey - that's pretty cool.

Posted Tue 06 Dec 11 @ 10:28 am
Hahaa, Thanks! We actually still use that for movies in the back yard. It's lite weight and mud kids can set it up, lol!!

Huey

Posted Tue 06 Dec 11 @ 11:31 am
SBDJ, thank you :-)

beatbreaker1, I will take a look into different types of spandex, but here's another concern. You'll notice in the video that 'jn015647' is referring to, the video being outputted almost seems like it's lacking contrast. I can't tell if it's because they have all the lights on in the venue, or if a spandex material like that would just have a lack of contrast because of it's material. In other words, if i'm setting up my screen in a bar, and the interior was even modestly lit, would it blow out my screen and make it look lighter?
(A question to 'jn015647', is that spandex you used in the video? How did it look when it was busy, with the lights dimmed down?)

jn015647, thanks for the referral video, I like your setup for a PROM! It's very badass!

Posted Wed 07 Dec 11 @ 12:42 am
I'd say that the contrast, image brightness, clarity etc. would be more down to how good your projector is, rather than the material being used for the screen.

The lower powered projectors will only provide a good image in a blacked out room, whereas the ones with higher lumens will give a better 'daylight' image - but even then, projected images are always better with the lights low or out.

Posted Wed 07 Dec 11 @ 7:25 am
My projector is a 300 lumen unit. It's an Optoma GT750E 720p, Short Throw.

Posted Thu 08 Dec 11 @ 12:54 am
taylaPRO InfinityMember since 2007
I'm sure you must have missed a zero there...

Posted Thu 08 Dec 11 @ 3:42 am
LOL, ehhhhh....

Yea, hahaha... 3000 Lumen, lol.

If it was 300 that would be horrible.

Posted Thu 08 Dec 11 @ 5:30 pm
A 3,000 lumen short throw projector should look good almost everywhere except outside at noon. One of the good points about short throw or ultra short throw projectors is that there is a smaller distance between the projector and the screen. So, the light from the room doesn't affect it as much.

If you're not sure what to buy locally, go to www.dazian.com. They sell several projection screen materials. They also have the Trapeze plus that is similar to the many spandex options but I think it reflects the image better.

Posted Sat 31 Dec 11 @ 1:35 pm

Posted Sun 01 Jan 12 @ 8:03 am
I use a Dalite rear projection fast fold setup that I have had for at least 5 years. The image quality is great and can be easily setup by one person. Always get compliments on the image quality and it is professional looking, not something that I built in my garage. One of the best features is that the screen can be elevated above everyone's heads. Cost was about $500 but worth the money.

Posted Sun 01 Jan 12 @ 10:33 pm
We also have 2 9x12 Da-lite screens for school dance & those events where we get serious. ;-) But there are many venues that can't handle that size. But then again that wasn't what he was asking about.

Posted Sun 01 Jan 12 @ 10:37 pm
donaldsHome userMember since 2012
Size really matters, specially in certain cases and certain venues. I am totally agree with it.

Posted Tue 18 Dec 12 @ 10:02 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)