Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: My $2,000 Experiment Gone Bad, Or Trouble With TCCD

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Well I got my Maya 44 USB and my Technics SL DZ1200 decks. Hooked it all up and tried out the TCCD. To say I am a little dissapointed is an understatement. A few of the problems:

* My laptop power supply causes MAJOR noise in the Maya sound output. With nothing connected to the laptop, I plug the Maya into the USB (tried powered hub and direct). Sounds good. I simply plug in the AC adaptor and it's so noisy you can't even hear the music over the noise. Rumbling, popping, clicking. Sounds like a ground loop problem but where? NOTHING is plugged into the Maya, just my headphones. 3 pieces - laptop, ac adaptor and maya. This has nothing to do with VDJ as no applications are open on the laptop.

* Time code noise comes out of the audio output. I got the timecode controlling my tracks pretty well. I'll work on getting rid of some latency later. The major problem is that time code noise is coming out of the Maya audio output. This is a show stopper for me.

Can someone who has fixed this problem please contact me via email and see if I can get my TCCD setup working. I didn't realize that this was such a fragile setup.

Posted Fri 29 Jul 05 @ 6:09 pm
frd1963PRO InfinityMember since 2004
For the power supply noise, try using a 'ground lifter,' or just cut the ground contact off of the plug.

Posted Fri 29 Jul 05 @ 7:32 pm
If your laptop plus ig three prong or you are using a usb connected external harddrive use a three prong to two prong adapter to easily lieft the ground and stop the hum. I had to do this on one of my systems with the external hd.

Posted Fri 29 Jul 05 @ 8:16 pm
Anewsome,
please read the time code vinyl / time code cd manual. All your questions are answered there already.

Get rid of the hum: Try an extension cord without ground wire. Make sure all your equipment is attached to this extension cord

Get rid of the time code noise. In the Maya setup screen. Check the Mute Input option
Ewout

Posted Fri 29 Jul 05 @ 9:07 pm
Well you guys were all right. I needed to read the TCCD manual, which I did and everything works just like it's supposed to. It is going to take a little time to get used to these TCCD as opposed to the XP10 though. One thing that is DEFINTELY easier though is scratching, especially on "scratch and release" beatmatch scratching. I can see why the TCV love their rigs. However, I do miss the controls on the XP10 for loading songs, hitting cue points, setting loops, etc. I suppose I could always use TCCD and the XP10 but I am trying to keep my rig from getting too big of a footprint.

Anyways, thanks for pointing me to the manual. I am still doing all of my scheduled gigs for the next month with XP10, but as soon as my flight case comes in for the Technics DZ1200, I will consider doing gigs with those.

Posted Fri 05 Aug 05 @ 8:08 pm
Anewsome.....I never used xp10s so im not completely sure if this will fix all the missing buttons but what I did is add a usb keypad to my setup which I put in front of my mixer. I use this for cue points, samples and effects which I cant access easily oherwise. for me it makes it alot easier and I dont have to be reaching over to my computer all the time.

Posted Fri 05 Aug 05 @ 8:26 pm
I'd be interested in one of those little USB keypads that I can asign buttons to do different things. Can anyone suggest what small keypads they are using? I don't want a full keyboard, I'll lean over the the laptop to do song searches. I just like to have cue points and loops very close by when I am mixing.

Posted Fri 05 Aug 05 @ 11:25 pm

Posted Sat 06 Aug 05 @ 1:05 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)