Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Video of VDJ used for video mixing

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

idj4uPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Is there a demo online somewhere of someone using VDJ to mix/scratch/loop video? A friend of mine is about to sink $10,000 (new zealand currency) on a pair of Pioneer DVD players with the video mixer. I told him VDJ can do it all for $150, plus a few grand on a decent grunty PC.

He doesn't believe me, need video to prove it. :D

Posted Mon 25 Jul 05 @ 12:01 am
HomeboyPRO InfinitySupport ManagerMember since 2003
VDJ can do it and more ! But I am not sure who has a video. Tell your friend to try the demo.

Posted Mon 25 Jul 05 @ 2:04 am
VDJ is no match for the Pioneer DVD players.. trust me these babys rock big time.

To be able to really use video with VDJ you will have to spend money on VDJ, timecode vinyl or XP10s, and a mixer with MIDI capable crossfader. And then you have no way of separating the video output from both players, you are always bound by the one video output. Also you will need some _serious_ PC hardware to get anywhere near these and in all honesty you'll probably spend only a bit more when buying the Pioneer hardware which will blow VDJ away in a serious way. If you think different you obviously have not even tried these players...

Posted Mon 25 Jul 05 @ 2:06 am
HomeboyPRO InfinitySupport ManagerMember since 2003
Yeap sure they are great but they have there flaws aswell. Price is the biggest I think as a professional DJ. Also they have some bugs still ;) BTW paul you have not seen the latest VDJ in action. Wait and see ! We are always working on development.

Posted Mon 25 Jul 05 @ 2:08 am
Point is that while more expensive the Pioneer set would offer some major advantages over VirtualDJ, starting with being able to pop in a regular DVD (or self made compilations) and scratch/mix/use it. The fact that you have separate video streams for each player which you can mix as you like is another. Also the soundquality of the pioneer set would be way better, so would the master tempo and overall handling.

I have no doubt you might have some interesting stuff in store, but to even think you're close to what these players do is IMO being naive.. the performance of VirtualDJ depends on the users hardware mostly, and a suitable system would cost quite a bit of cash itself. Not to mention the extra cost of controllers and a decent mixer which is MIDI capable. In all honesty (and my experience sofar) the audio quality of VirtualDJ is far from suitable to use on a big clubsystem, even compared to other DJ software.

Posted Mon 25 Jul 05 @ 2:27 am
it's too much money

Posted Mon 25 Jul 05 @ 2:29 am
It might be too much money for you, but that does not mean they are not better (or worse..) IMO they kick ass and no software solution I know comes close right now..

Posted Mon 25 Jul 05 @ 2:30 am
I keep hearing about how much people are getting into Video Mixing...I myself am not interested in doing it. But I would like to see it done. All the blending and scratching. Is there a web site that demonstrates Video Mixing? I would like to see what the big deal is.

MS

Posted Mon 25 Jul 05 @ 2:41 am
I have tried neither the Pioneers OR the video part of VDJ. Just trying to promote VDJ here to someone who swore black and blue that no computer could do what "real DJs" can do until he saw a real DJ using a laptop and scratching with TCV....

Posted Mon 25 Jul 05 @ 2:42 am
DJ CyderPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2003
hehe I watched one of the poineers go down at mobile beat. I was mixing vob files last night at a gig and it was great. I'll take on the pioneer anyday.

Posted Mon 25 Jul 05 @ 2:54 am
l_ridsPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Hey idj4u are u from NZ? Where abouts are you & your friend located? I can make up a scratch/mix/loop vid if your interested but not with the video option...

Posted Mon 25 Jul 05 @ 3:26 am
Luke - I'm in Auckland like you, my mate is in Whangarei.

Bro - you have XP10's?!?!?! I didn't think any of those things had made it here yet! Great to see there are other VDJers here. I know of one other Auckland DJ, and a guy in Chch using it. I am still using CDs, just waiting for the right time to start using VDJ live at gigs.

I have plenty of demos of the audio capabilities, but I was really keen to see how good the video option is. I know VDJ has the stuff but will it compare to a pair of Pioneers with the right vid mixer. Seems the answer is mostly no...

Posted Mon 25 Jul 05 @ 4:33 am
l_ridsPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Oh true that!!

We should hook up sumtime man and show me your skillz... drop me an email if your keen, its in my blog.

Posted Mon 25 Jul 05 @ 8:26 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)