Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: VMS4 Master Out through PC - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

Hi all,

Last week I purchased the VMS4, and upgraded my Virtual DJ to the Pro.

It's an excellent machine, yet there is one thing I cannot figure out how to do, and it is quite important to me:

Although I play at clubs, I also want to make mixes and play at home, using Virtual DJ. I want to be able to
hear my Master output via the PC, while still using the headphones and microphone on the device. I've tried
various combinations on the Config of VDJ (admittedly I'm new to the software and the world of virtual DJing)
and the best I got was all sound as one from the speakers and loosing all the functionality of the device.

What are the configurations I need to use the device as designed, yet the Master output going through the
PC speakers?

Thanks in advance for you help guys!

Cheers,
Theo

Posted Sun 06 Feb 11 @ 5:26 pm
The easiest way is to connect a suitable cable (2x RCA to 3.5" headphone jack) from the master outputs of the VMS4 to the line input of your computer. The sound will then come out through the computer's speakers (If not, go to your sound card's mixer/control panel and ensure that the line input is not muted and the volume is set to an appropriate level.)

Posted Mon 07 Feb 11 @ 6:00 am
Thank you, that makes sense, but will I not loose my the ability to use my headphones to hear what I will mix on the other Deck?

I assumed that I could set Master to PC Sound Card and Headphones to VMS4 sound card, yet that didn't seem to work (I might have the "Output 1&2", etc wrong though, which I can't find the meanings for and how to use them - again, I'm a noob at this).

I also read somewhere that I can use the sound that the VMS4 sends back into VDJ for recording. Any ideas?

Thanks again for your help!

Cheers,
Theo

Posted Mon 07 Feb 11 @ 6:11 am
Please re-read the above.

Do not change your sound settings for the VMS4 - Use its sound card for master + headphones as normal.

As above, connect an audio cable from the master output of the VMS4 (Where you would normally connect external powered speakers or to an amp) and plug the other end into the line input of your computer's sound card.

You will then have the master output of the VMS4 playing through your computer's speakers, and headphone pre-listening will work as normal.

NOTE: VirtualDJ LE is limited software and does not support advanced sound config.

Posted Mon 07 Feb 11 @ 7:22 am
Thank you for you help and your prompt!

I will do as you suggested!

Theo

Posted Mon 07 Feb 11 @ 7:57 am
You need to remember that there are numerous ways to set VDJ up but there are two disctinct ways of doing it.

First is to use VDJ with a controller relying on the PC to do the mix internally then passing the audio as a final mix to the soundcard to amplify etc. Similarly passing the headphones to a sound output and just adding the mic input (if you had one) to the mix.

Secondly is more along the lines of a traditional DJ set up. Basically VDJ uses a sound card to pass the output of each deck/channel to a separate mixer input and then use the mixer to mix the sound to an output and a headphone selection to the head phones accordingly, and the mic is similarly added to the mix.

However alot of recent controllers (the VMS4 being one of these) combine the sound card for each channel (4 x stereo cards in the case of the VMS4) and the mixer in one unit. This means the mix is not done in the computer it is done in the mixer hence why PCDJ can't record the final mix in the PC. Thats why you need the lead to take the signal from the mixer output and record it back to the PC.

It should be noted that this method does rely on converting the digital audio to an analouge signal and then the PC sound card re-digitising the signal on it's return. This could cause some loss of quality or interference however the VMS4 does use very good soundcards and now-a-days most pc soundcards (even built into the motherboard) are quite good so this probably won't be an issue.

There have been simlilar discussions in the forums regarding this and as to modifying the settings in VDJ associated with the VMS4 in order that VDJ will do all this in the software - it has been designed into the VMS4 - when the little switch on the front of the console is to to 8 out (not the 4 in 4 out option) the unit does pass the final mix back to VDJ as a digital return - I don't know if this is done without converting digital to analouge and back or just at digital level - if it is just at digital level then it would need to add the analouge inputs and mic channels if they are used - for this reason I would suspect it is done by converrting to analouge but I don't have design or circuit drawings to confirm this.

The return mix (either from USB return or from analouge and sound card return) is needed for either recording your mix or using for broadcasting purposes. I would sugest you have a search on the forum to see if there is an update for the VMS4 media controller - or any info on the American Audio VMS4 forum as there have been similar requests to sort this out, but the above method of using an extra lead will give more than adequate results in the interim.

Hope this helps.

Posted Mon 07 Feb 11 @ 3:31 pm
vand0LE userMember since 2011
I cant hear music trough speakers, I set 2 RCA from vms4 master booth to computer input, and computer speakers are on pc output, and now i cant hear nothing on virtual dj at all even not headphones which are plugged in VMS4. On vms4 there are all knobs ok and faders but still cant listen now ,not in headphones and not in pc speakers.

Posted Wed 09 Mar 11 @ 6:59 am
do i have to change something in control panel/sound and if i do then what or have to change in vdj7 pro? Really would like to master out pc speakers

Posted Wed 09 Mar 11 @ 7:55 am
I can hear sound then when VMS4 is switched off

Posted Wed 09 Mar 11 @ 8:34 am
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
In order to hear from your speakers you have to plug your speakers to the VMS4. VirtualDJ LE which comes with the VMS4 does not allow you to connect any other sound card. Normally you would have to set your PC sound card as master output and VMS4 as your headphones, but i repeat you cant do this with the LE. You need to upgrade to Pro http://www.virtualdj.com/buy/index.html . Note also that as a LE user you will get a large discount by upgrading http://www.virtualdj.com/products/oem.html

In case you want to check that everything is working, download the Free Version of VirtualDJ http://www.virtualdj.com/download/free.html and give it a try for 10 minutes. After that it will return to Home which does not allow you to make the above setup too.

Posted Wed 09 Mar 11 @ 9:11 am
I already told that im in my friend pc and he have vdj pro 7 , so how i can do it? Its second time when i ask someone to help, but i get answer, buy vdj pro . Maybe now little help with that?

Posted Wed 09 Mar 11 @ 9:19 am
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
Try to stick to one post, i gave you some answers to the other topic you've posted.

Posted Wed 09 Mar 11 @ 9:22 am
omg , why i cant use my product in friends pc for 5 days , he have pro7 and its buyed. Can you just help me with settings , i dont want nothing more , just want to know how i have to put settings to prelisten with headphones on vms4 and master on speakers, its all i want . other guy got answer for support team , so why you cant just help me with this little settings thing?

Posted Wed 09 Mar 11 @ 9:47 am
and why its make weird noise if i put 4out and cf a to ch2 and cf b to ch 3,its make terrible noise.

Posted Wed 09 Mar 11 @ 9:52 am
There's no need to get so worked up.

The problem is that you don't understand how a DJ system works....

For starters, you don't need VDJ Pro to use your VMS4 - you can use the LE version supplied, and it will work "plug and play" without the need to set up anything.

I suggest you read the manuals and learn how a cue system works before complaining.

Posted Wed 09 Mar 11 @ 9:55 am
Yea i dont really get it , because i bought my first dj equipment.
And it would be nice if someone just help and tell how i can do it like this so i can prelisten on headphones and master speakers. I think that spot is not for discussing for that can i dj or not , that topic is for looking some help. And i need some help

Posted Wed 09 Mar 11 @ 10:06 am
So maybe , here is someone who are so kind and can help ? not making ad to buy pro version or discuss that i cant do nothing with dj gear.

Posted Wed 09 Mar 11 @ 11:31 am
and is it normal if i put 4out and cf a off and cf b off and then when i switch VMS on again its make strange noise ,like someone shooting

Posted Wed 09 Mar 11 @ 11:33 am
as I can see no one help me?

Posted Thu 10 Mar 11 @ 4:53 am
vand0 wrote :
Yea i dont really get it

This much is true....

vand0 wrote :
tell how i can do it like this so i can prelisten on headphones and master speakers.

What you need to do is to read the instructions for the VMS4 and for VDJ LE. If you still don't understand how to cue in headphones, then I suggest you search YouTube for some DJ tutorials on how cue works.

It's really not hard.

Posted Thu 10 Mar 11 @ 6:49 am
77%