Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: WMA Protected Files

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

RonVeeHome userMember since 2005
I was wondering does VDJ play protected files? I can not seem to get it to work. PCDJ plays these type of files.

Thanks...

Posted Thu 07 Jul 05 @ 7:54 am
NebulaPRO InfinityMember since 2004
No i don't think it does. What I do is copy them onto a CD first, and then either play them off the cd, or copy them back onto your computer. It is annoying tho!

Posted Thu 07 Jul 05 @ 8:49 am
That's awefull! I've looked into many programs and only one plays protected files. Oh well I guess my money will be spent somewhere else.

Posted Fri 08 Jul 05 @ 7:04 am
JeremKPRO InfinityStaffMember since 2004
You must understand that protected files are proprietary to the company that owns the license (microsoft for protected WMA) and to play the protected files the program that wants to give this functionality must pay for the rights and to get the decoder.

I presume the only program that plays the wma protected files costs alot more than VirtualDJ. Am I right?

Posted Fri 08 Jul 05 @ 11:16 am
It's more but not as much as you would expect. Maybe around $100. But in the long run it would save time and money. I love the functonality of virtual DJ too bad about the protected file situation. Who knows maybe time will tell and the company will grow larger and go that route. It's about the bottom line $

Posted Mon 11 Jul 05 @ 7:24 am
DJ CyderPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
is it really that big a deal to go with something you are not happy with just because of the file situation. Did You know it is not legal in the us to use downloaded content at your shows paid for or not? Read their license agreement. "not for public preformance"

Posted Mon 11 Jul 05 @ 7:31 am
No it's not a big deal and I didn't state I was using the program for public performance. I'm just a bedroom DJ just trying to have a bit of fun with out a hassle of well I can't play this file because it's protected. Then I might as well pull out the petro and play the source that way! LOL :)

Life is a Mix, make it EZ as U can!

Posted Mon 11 Jul 05 @ 5:32 pm
@RonVee

Most of the folks that use vDJ are into DJing enough to not be hindered by a file format. vDJ plays most of the generally accepted formats and unfortunately for you, is not geared toward DJs who just want to play around with formats they happen to have..

The program cannot be all things to all people, so try to see the overall value of it and maybe consider if it is worthwhile to build your library in a more popular format.

Posted Mon 11 Jul 05 @ 5:39 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)