Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Newbie Questions

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

kilerbHome userMember since 2005
Hi, you might have seen my previous post comparing DJ software programs. Thanks to everyone and your suggestions. You've definitely convinced me that VDJ is the way to go. So, I've been playing around with it for a few days and browsing the manual. There are still a few things I just don't understand... If you don't have time to answer all this, I understand or if you could just answer a section you're really familar with that would be great... Here goes...

1. The Automix button. Very cool, it seems that when I have a song on table 1 playing and a song on table 2 waiting and this is activated, it will put 2 red marks near the edges of the music showing where it fades in and fades out... Sometimes those red marks are WAY into the song. So it starts the song up to almost a minute in. Why would it do that? Who wants to start a song at the 1 minute mark? Especially a song with lyrics. I know I'm probably missing something. Maybe I'm playing too fast of a song and then too slow of a song? I also noticed when I have different BPM's the new song starts off really slow or fast and VERY SLOWLY goes to it's normal speed. That seems a little weird sounding to me. Should it just be avoided? Is that just something you should never do? At weddings you have to slow down the pace all of a sudden at times, and it would stink if you had to start the new song halfway through it.

2. Making a playlist. I've used winamp for years and it's just so easy. Hit the PL button, and drag and drop all your songs in there. Save the list and it's done. I tried making playlists on VDJ and once again I'm probably doing something dumb, but I just don't get it. I see the playlist area to the right when you move your mouse over the playlist bar, but is that it? You just find the songs in the area on the left and drag them over to the area on the right? Why can't I see my playlist at all times? It just dissappears when you move the mouse away and I can't really see the order of what's coming up etc... And it seems to be playing songs from the left also. I just don't get it.

3. Pitch control. When I change the "pitch" it really just seems to be the speed. I make it faster and it the tempo picks up but the pitch seems to be staying the same. Is there an option where I can actually change the pitch and make the sound higher or lower?

Thanks in advance...
KB

Posted Wed 01 Jun 05 @ 7:21 pm
JeremKPRO InfinityStaffMember since 2004
2. In order to have the playlist pannel always activated, put your mouse over it, then click on the lock that's on the bottom of the playlist pannel. Then you can just choose the size of your playlist pannel, or completely hide it by getting the minimum size.

Once you have put all the music you wanted in the playlist pannel, click on the save button (it looks like a floppy disc).
The automix uses the songs that are in the playlist.

3. Yes there is an option to also change the sound to make it higher or lower when you use the pitch control. go to the settings and then go to the FAME tab, unselect master tempo (it's another name for time stretch).

Once you've done that, when you change the speed of the song, you also change the height (tone) of the music.

Posted Wed 01 Jun 05 @ 8:11 pm
kilerbHome userMember since 2005
Got it! Sweet... Actually it's called "Time Stretch" on the version I have. I like the way some rap songs sound with the pitch up a bit for some reason. I'm starting to get the playlist thing too. Thanks for your help. I just need to figure out what the red markers mean on the song timeline when you automix. Why are they so far into the song sometimes?

Posted Wed 01 Jun 05 @ 10:47 pm
claxPRO InfinityMember since 2004
These markers (start and end point for automixes) are calculated by VDJ during the first analyze of the track.
You can change them if you think they are not at the good place.
Go to the BPM section (BPM button - depends if present on your skin) or with a shortcut or rght-click on the BPM in your skin -> then into the automix area.

Posted Wed 01 Jun 05 @ 11:08 pm
JeremKPRO InfinityStaffMember since 2004
thanks clax, i was too lazy today to explain all that on the automix red markers ;)

Posted Thu 02 Jun 05 @ 12:44 am
claxPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Solidarity my friend ...

Posted Thu 02 Jun 05 @ 6:48 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)