Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Do We Need Another Forum Group For Video?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

mp3jrickPRO InfinityHonorary MemberMember since 2003
Seems the video questions get mixed up and cluttered with others in the existing catagories.

Like, why is the audio so far ahead the video when I play VOBs?
I mean, where would you post that?

Posted Tue 31 May 05 @ 5:54 pm
I agree wholeheartedly.

john

Posted Tue 31 May 05 @ 6:00 pm
recoomend to move existing posts there too

Posted Tue 31 May 05 @ 8:44 pm
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
It will happen sooner or later i guess, but if it doesn't, it should.

Bagpuss

Posted Tue 31 May 05 @ 9:08 pm
JeremKPRO InfinityStaffMember since 2004
Good idea, it would help people that video doesn't interest to have easyer acces to the general forum.

Posted Tue 31 May 05 @ 10:06 pm
Great idea! This has been my fear since the Video Mixing features arrived on VDJ, that the Forums would be bogged down with video questions and comments...sorta forgetting the Audio side of it.

MS

Posted Tue 31 May 05 @ 10:37 pm
Might be a good time to move to a better forum as well.. Again I'll gladly help out moving the existing forum into a new enviroment...

Posted Tue 31 May 05 @ 11:14 pm
Not sure what you mean Paul.

What I meant was to just take the video out of the mainstream catagories.

The same goes for TCV for that matter.

Other boards like Visio break it down by versions and plug ins, it's much more organized that way without the clutter threads, for those seeking and offering specific help.

I know I recieve a lot of emails that belong here, as i'm sure many others here do also.

Posted Tue 31 May 05 @ 11:53 pm
JeremKPRO InfinityStaffMember since 2004
@Paulheu

I think what you would like is a new forum, like all the php forums you can find on the net.
The problem is, that those forums are often difficult to read, because everybody has a little picture under their nickname and also have a signature that take half the size of their post.

This forum is a professional forum, it is clearer than other forums, you can stick to the point easily.

I find it quite frustrating when i have to go down nearly half a page, each time I read a forum page, only because the pictures everywhere and signatures take so much place.

This is my point of view, yours maybe different.
Maybe others have something to say about it.

Posted Wed 01 Jun 05 @ 12:13 am
Well, you can limit the size of pics in the signatures or not allow them at all. We definitely need a separate forum for Video. We also REALLY need an upgrade to this forum software they are using. It would be nice to get email notification or popups letting us know someone replied to a thread or that we have a PM.

Hell, it would be great to be able to even GET private messages!!!LOL. Also the search feature REALLY needs help.

Killabee44

Posted Wed 01 Jun 05 @ 12:53 am
All these extra features can be turned off.. The main problem I see with the current forum softwar is it is ver bad at threading and even worse at selective reading.. You cannot even pick a random new post without marking everything below it as read as well which IMO is rather braindead.

The given many forum moderators do not take the time orput in the effort of setting up the software as they feel it should, disabeling any fancy stuff as they like should not be an argument to stick to rather clumsy software (IMO)..

And if new software were to be chosen _PLEASE_ do not use phpBB but choose something more uptodate like SMF (or if you must vBulletin, but at least SMF is free)

Posted Wed 01 Jun 05 @ 1:42 am
apopsisdjPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
you wrote: "You cannot even pick a random new post without marking everything below it as read as well which IMO is rather braindead"
This is something i like about this forum ...don't ask me why !

And about the "modern" look of phpBB and others, i have to say that they are all look the same to me... Let virtual dj forum look different..
Just my point of you.

About the video forum, its a good idea, not all dj's are using video for now, so different target groups for audio and video.

Posted Wed 01 Jun 05 @ 3:18 am
Well the point strayed off course, but seeing as it did.....

I don't mind the software but I wish we didn't lose unread markers unless we read from the bottom up.
I like to bop around as some threads have more importance than others and I don't want to wait.
Then I lose track.

As for messaging and other clutter:
I find the trademarks by some on other boards way too much.

Messaging can be achieved by full users providing they put their addy in their blogs.
Just as many users block pm's and emails on other forums anyway.

And God help us all, my favorite feature is the elimination of post counts.
Post counters PISS ME OFF.
They dribble and drabble on every thread they can just to raise their count and false seniority, causing total chaos for those who come for help and don't know who they are really talking to.

I say stick with what is here just modify it a little.

Posted Wed 01 Jun 05 @ 3:14 pm
I would be interested to know what forum software is used. If it's script based so it should not be too hard to make some alterations..

And yes, in any case I'd like to see a separate video forum..

Posted Wed 01 Jun 05 @ 4:33 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)