Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Why choose Virtual DJ over Traktor?

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hey guys,
Is anyone able to tell me the advantages over Traktor Pro? I am looking to change mainly because most of my friends use Virtual DJ, and I feel more and more left out. If anyone has something quick they can write up that would be great!

BTW the forums and community here seems to have alot more activity which is good.

Cheers

Posted Mon 31 May 10 @ 8:37 pm
WOW,too manh advantages to give but I'll give a couple.I'm sure I'll miss some important aspects but others can include.

#1 Flexibility in utilizing/integrating the software with any equipment setup you have e.g turntables mixer soundcard etc.

#2 Ability to use almost any midi controller you can get your hands on and map it to any function.

#3 Very good master tempo algorithm which atomix created themselves.

#4 It's fastly becoming the favored choice of dj software for many worldwide.

#5 It doesn't have you break your bank account to purchase it unlike other competitors.

#6 Very powerful audio/video engine that has proven to even run videos on a NETBOOK (Believe it)

#7 It has really good audio and video effects even tough not all are quality.

#9 It helps those that really need a quick portable effective karaoke software that can automate based on playlists.

#10 It rocks so if you don't buy it hmmmmmmm, you'll miss out on the fun.lol

Enjoy

Posted Mon 31 May 10 @ 9:29 pm
Rusko20PRO InfinityMember since 2010
11) Net search, the ability to search for any request you may be asked for live then download it right on to your decks.

12) Not having to spend hours on end ******* around with 'beat grids!'

13) You can download or even create your skins and effects if your up to the challenge!

Posted Tue 01 Jun 10 @ 1:18 am
12) VDJ is 100 times easier to map in my opinion.

Posted Tue 01 Jun 10 @ 1:47 am
VDJ is a good investment because it will pretty much work with anything.
You're limited to what type of gear you're using if you go with Traktor and Serato
Whether you're running timecoded vinyl or a controller - VDJ is flexible enough to handle pretty much anything you throw at it

Posted Tue 01 Jun 10 @ 9:24 am
I'd like to throw in my 10 cents worth. Up and until today, I've DJ'd with Virtual DJ. Love it. But it's a bit poorly optimized. I have an i7 laptop, and yet the software consumes a LOT of processing speed. Plus, despite all my tweaking (I'm not an idiot. I'm a power user. I've tried everything), my midi controller isn't as responsive as I know it can be (I have a Hercules RMX). I'm brand new to Traktor. Just got it now, in fact. But already the difference in performance is noticeable. My computer spends maybe 10% of its cpu power TOPS on two tracks, where as virtual DJ would easily consume something like 60-70%. And the controller is absolutely responsive now. I always thought it was an issue with the device. On top of that, it is perfectly compatible with any midi device, so long as you map it. And trust me, there are maps for almost any device. As for hardware limitations, I've found that my serato scratch live vinyls don't work with traktor and I'll have to buy traktor vinyls somewhere down the road. As for the "Beat grid" stuff, beat grids allow you to map songs with variations in tempo. it has an auto-detect bpm feature just like virtual dj. and it works quite well. No, I don't think there are skins for Traktor, so in that sense it is limiting. And Virtual DJ's "Audio Effects" are a feature, not an advantage. Traktor has some fantastic effects.

The point is:
Try the demos for both before you judge.

Posted Sun 14 Aug 11 @ 7:01 pm
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
bichiliad wrote :
Try the demos for both before you judge.

Yes, you should - considering the LE version for your RMX is ver 5.2.2 and the i7's were not around back then. Plus, VirtualDJ is now at version 7.

Posted Sun 14 Aug 11 @ 7:52 pm
on my youtube video i made it a point to show how little cpu i was using

one or 2 bars was all

i was running video ,plus FireText and about 4 other plugins and the cpu

is minimal as can be seen on screen

Posted Sun 14 Aug 11 @ 9:47 pm
Man-TkPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Vdj have the best recordcase , for me , this is very important .
Search engine , filter folders & controllers suported : Vdj wins .

Vdj : first with samples , but now Traktor 2 have better sample options . Maybe Dev Team can do something ....

Posted Mon 15 Aug 11 @ 1:20 am
Don’t forget the great support you get from the Atomix team (better than any other software manufacture I have used). Also last but not least, all the great help and support you get from the users on the Virtual Dj forum.

Posted Mon 15 Aug 11 @ 2:43 am
BlulitePRO InfinityMember since 2009
traktor does not allow,

video,
karaoke,
key detection,
downloadable skins, plugins etc.

traktor does not have free udates for life and you will have to buy it again next year when the new updated version is released. thus costing you more hardearneds just to have the bug fixes.

traktor needs other software to expand your skills...eg for key detection, video and karaoke....why have 4 softwares when you can have 1

as far as im aware you cant broadcast with trakturd either.

Posted Mon 15 Aug 11 @ 6:16 am
also, traktor does not allow 2 soundcards to be run at once and has no advanced config optons to route your audio via the channels "YOU" choose.

ive tried to learn traktor several times and it remains on my computer so i will keep going back to it to learn, but every time i do go back and try to learn something it just throws up another reason why VDJ is much better.

futureproof it, go VDJ.

Posted Mon 15 Aug 11 @ 6:18 am
I used traktor properly for an extended period of time on the weekend, but my opinion hasn't changed... pretty much every opinion of traktor is that the effects are better, but honestly they weren't when I was using it. To me the filter was too resonant, the flanger and phazor were cheap and slightly distorted, the beat masher is okay, but loop roll is much better when properly mapped. Nothing was capable of only having the wet signal which is why the reverb and echo effects are lacking. The only effect that VDJ can't compete with is beat repeat i think it was called, that is a really easy to use very effective er.. effect.

The other thing I didn't like was that every track had to be synced, as when you moved the outside edge of the jog you change the pitch of the track an enormous amount making it impossible to get precise adjustments, Also there was no beatlock that my mate could show me, but that may be hidden somewhere, finally on the pioneer DDJT4 whatever it is called, you cant turn off vinyl mode of which was really effing annoying.

Lesson learned, don't listen to opinions on youtube they are probably more than a little biased.

Posted Mon 15 Aug 11 @ 8:27 am
what, you actually got the effects to work??? every time i hit an effects button in trakturd nothing happens. i get a pretty little LED that lights up my controller and thats it.

Posted Mon 15 Aug 11 @ 8:36 am
My friend used traktor once and then 2 years later BAM he got herpes.

Posted Mon 15 Aug 11 @ 8:37 am
What's with all the derogatory comments towards Traktor?

It is not my product of choice but that doesn't mean it is a bad piece of software.

Over the years I have seen VDJ users move to Traktor for many reasons, but specifically for better FX. There are also a lot of people here who use Traktor for clubs and VDJ for karaoke & video sets.

Having used VDJ for over 3 years and various trial versions of Traktor, I can say that VDJ offers more as an all round package but Traktor is more appealing to some because of it's perceived better audio quality and effects integration.

Each to their own .......

Keith

Posted Mon 15 Aug 11 @ 11:26 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)