Quick Sign In:  

Forum: Old versions

Topic: Change Path of iTunes Library

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hella all,

Just moved from pc to mac and I did id once for pc but don't remember the hack to point the iTunes library in virtual dj to another folder.

Could it be this was an app. writen by a member ?

As my iTunes collection is on an external hard drive I will have to do something lol.

Thank you

Posted Fri 14 May 10 @ 11:22 am

Posted Fri 14 May 10 @ 12:21 pm
Copy the folders from your pc and add it into the Mac. look inside itunes folders and there should be an update folder. I did it once without knowing what i was doing.

Posted Tue 18 May 10 @ 11:36 pm
Found it in 7.0.2 - right click the iTunes folder and pick "Set alternate base folder" bah-da-bing-bah-da-BOOM!

Posted Sat 26 Feb 11 @ 2:55 pm
mc224PRO InfinityMember since 2011
Found a solution!

My setup:
iTunes 10.1.2
Virtual DJ 7.0.3

Problem:
iTunes library is in Users/Shared/iTunes/
iTunes and playlists do not appear in Virtual DJ since the path to my library is different than the default path.
Virtual DJ can find all my music if I right click and choose "add to search db"

Software required:
You'll need a plist editor.
I used PlistEdit Pro (free) at http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/development_tools/plisteditpro.html

Here is the step by step:
1. Install PlistEdit Pro
2. Make sure iTunes and Virtual DJ is shut down.
3. Start PlistEdit Pro
3.1 Click file
3.2 Click open
3.3 Navigate to /[user]/Library/Preferences/
3.4 Click on "com.atomixproductions.virtualdj.plist"
3.5 Click on open
3.6 Scroll down until you find "iTunesFolder" under the key column
3.7 Double click the path shown under the value column, most likely it will show "/[user]/Music/iTunes/
3.8 Change the path to the location of your iTunes library, in my case it is "/Users/Shared/iTunes/"
3.9 Once the change is complete, click on File, then save.
4. Quit PlistEdit Pro
5. Now open a finder window and navigate to where your iTunes library is kept.
6. Find the following files: "iTunes Library" "iTunes Library.xml" "iTunes Library Extras.itdb" "iTunes Library Genius.itdb"

--- If the files in step 6 have the names "iTunes Music Library" "iTunes Music Library.xml" "iTunes Library Music Extras.itdb" "iTunes Music Library Genius.itdb" then skip to step #18 ---

7. Make a backup copy of the 4 files and move them to a different location - this is just in case something goes screwy.
8. Rename the files to "iTunes Music Library" "iTunes Music Library.xml" "iTunes Library Music Extras.itdb" "iTunes Music Library Genius.itdb"
9. Close the finder window.
10. Hold down the "option" key on your keyboard and click on iTunes - this will open the "Choose iTunes Library" window
11. Click on the "Choose Library" button.
12. Navigate to the location of the iTunes Library.
13. Select "iTunes Music Library"
14. Click the "Choose" button
15. Your iTunes Library should open - a Genius update will most likely occur (this may take a while for large libraries)
16. Verify that everything is working correctly. (If it is great, if it's not working close itunes, restore the backup files from #7 to their original location, restart iTunes holding down the "option" key and choose the library file you restored)
17. Quit iTunes

18. Open Virtual DJ and verify that your iTunes Music Library and playlists now appear!
19. Quit Virtual DJ
20. Done!

Hope that helps!

Posted Fri 04 Mar 11 @ 2:22 am
I was having the problem of getting an error message as I tried to play my tracks after transferring my music library from internal itunes to external itunes. Make sure that in the preference tab on mac you change the location of the itunes library to the drive that corresponds to the external and click change. Itunes will ask you if you would like to change the names of the files so that everything stays organized click yes and watch itunes change the names of all the files for you. Now go back to VDJ and try to play your tracks all of them including the playlist should have the new volume name and location. Hope this helps it took me bout an hour to figure it out

Posted Thu 12 May 11 @ 7:54 pm
Found a solution!

My setup:
iTunes 10.1.2
Virtual DJ 7.0.3

Problem:
iTunes library is in Users/Shared/iTunes/
iTunes and playlists do not appear in Virtual DJ since the path to my library is different than the default path.
Virtual DJ can find all my music if I right click and choose "add to search db"

Software required:
You'll need a plist editor.
I used PlistEdit Pro (free) at http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/development_tools/plisteditpro.html

Here is the step by step:
1. Install PlistEdit Pro
2. Make sure iTunes and Virtual DJ is shut down.
3. Start PlistEdit Pro
3.1 Click file
3.2 Click open
3.3 Navigate to /[user]/Library/Preferences/
3.4 Click on "com.atomixproductions.virtualdj.plist"
3.5 Click on open
3.6 Scroll down until you find "iTunesFolder" under the key column
3.7 Double click the path shown under the value column, most likely it will show "/[user]/Music/iTunes/
3.8 Change the path to the location of your iTunes library, in my case it is "/Users/Shared/iTunes/"
3.9 Once the change is complete, click on File, then save.
4. Quit PlistEdit Pro
5. Now open a finder window and navigate to where your iTunes library is kept.
6. Find the following files: "iTunes Library" "iTunes Library.xml" "iTunes Library Extras.itdb" "iTunes Library Genius.itdb"

--- If the files in step 6 have the names "iTunes Music Library" "iTunes Music Library.xml" "iTunes Library Music Extras.itdb" "iTunes Music Library Genius.itdb" then skip to step #18 ---

7. Make a backup copy of the 4 files and move them to a different location - this is just in case something goes screwy.
8. Rename the files to "iTunes Music Library" "iTunes Music Library.xml" "iTunes Library Music Extras.itdb" "iTunes Music Library Genius.itdb"
9. Close the finder window.
10. Hold down the "option" key on your keyboard and click on iTunes - this will open the "Choose iTunes Library" window
11. Click on the "Choose Library" button.
12. Navigate to the location of the iTunes Library.
13. Select "iTunes Music Library"
14. Click the "Choose" button
15. Your iTunes Library should open - a Genius update will most likely occur (this may take a while for large libraries)
16. Verify that everything is working correctly. (If it is great, if it's not working close itunes, restore the backup files from #7 to their original location, restart iTunes holding down the "option" key and choose the library file you restored)
17. Quit iTunes

18. Open Virtual DJ and verify that your iTunes Music Library and playlists now appear!
19. Quit Virtual DJ
20. Done!

Hope that helps!

This is exactly the problem that i am having but when i get to instruction 3.4 i cannot find anything with that name - do you have any explanations? not having my itunes playlists show up is absolutely awful

Posted Sat 17 Sep 11 @ 7:51 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)