Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Plugins

Topic: How can I edit a dll file - Page: 1

This part of topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information

Fist of all I will like to say that VDJ is an excellent and the best dj software out there. This is why I decided to purchase the program.
Anyway, I'm trying to make a dll file for effects but since this is very complicated to do, I need an existing file to visualize how this works. How can I open an existing file? What program do I need to do this?

Your help will be apreciated.

P.S; I have look already in other sections of the forum and also downloaded some examples like .h,.cpp and microsoft visual net but still I cant get it to save as Dll or even open one. Pardon my little programing skills.

TX
VNZ

Posted Wed 25 May 05 @ 9:24 pm
claxPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Hi and welcome in this amazing community;

You're that's en excellent ... and probably the best PC-DJing software.

Editing a .dll is not the solution (nearly impossible).
You have to program a plugin.
If you have .net, try the Effect SDK: http://www.virtualdj.com/support/developers/effects.html
Can you program in C/C++ ?

Posted Wed 25 May 05 @ 9:27 pm

Posted Wed 25 May 05 @ 9:28 pm
Thanks Clax. I can do little programing if you can say that. I already got to those links you posted. My thinking of a dll file was trying to open it like an XML file in skins which I can do and was able to learn to work with them and I think I can probably make my own skin now(xml with bitmap). But I guess Dll is more complicated than that and either I'm going to have to learn to make them from scratch or I will leave it to the experts.

So you are saying that once a C++ project is saved as an dll it cannot be opened back and be edited?

VNZ

P.S: All you programers/skinners can do some awesome work. I like the sampler manager, shaker beats and others. TX

Posted Wed 25 May 05 @ 10:00 pm
djcelPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
No a .dll file (dynamic library linker) is a compilated file like an executable file (.exe)
c file (.c and .h) or c++ file (.cpp and .h) => compilator => .dll

Posted Wed 25 May 05 @ 11:07 pm
So with .net you create a new project and choose virtualdj pkugin by using the SKD installed.
Then when treatment is done you create a solution which will be a .dll file.

Posted Thu 26 May 05 @ 9:43 am
This is going to take some time to get!!!.
I'll work on it and see what results I'll get.

Will post later if I need more help. Thanks for the tips....

Posted Thu 26 May 05 @ 2:25 pm
You're welcome.

Posted Thu 26 May 05 @ 3:28 pm
hi this is cool stuff

Posted Mon 06 Jun 05 @ 6:07 am
kaleoPRO InfinityMember since 2003
So please reya_dis, if you like this software... don't crack it!

Posted Mon 06 Jun 05 @ 8:50 am
Hey Clax:

Man I have been working on this for long time and still can't get this. My wife is starting to get upset, dedicating too much time to VDJ. Anyway, I believe I'm close to at least reproducing the existing flanger plug-in and that way I will know how this works better.

The problem I'm having is getting a .dll solution. As per previous posts/links, I opened an empty proj. then I saved the .h and .cpp files provided in there and try to compile to create a solution and I get an error message saying I'm missing windows.h files. I'm using Visual C++ 2005 express beta edition (Download trial). Also I tried to download a source code but I guess thats restricted for some users only. I still believe I can do a plug-in if I just get little more direction and help on this.

What ever you can think of that I can use in addition to the other info you already gave me I will apreciate this. For ex: Am I using the right program for C++? If not, where can I get one? Can I get a simple completed source code that I can use to do my .dll and learn from it? I know, this sounds like cheating, but thats the only way I think I can get this. This is the way I learned to work with skins, by editing an existing xml and bitmap file.

Anyway, see what you think and let me know if I got a chance.

P.S: If I could only make at least a simple plug-in!!!

Thanks, again.

VNZ

Posted Fri 10 Jun 05 @ 11:15 pm
well in the .cpp file you write:
#include < windows.h >

in fact windows.h is a library (an include) installed with your compilator (with others file in the same way) so visual c++ 2005 express should have it. I don't understand why
Verify your selected dll with windows standard inluded files or something like that. I didn't test visual c++ 2005 yet but i think soon

Posted Fri 10 Jun 05 @ 11:51 pm
The "#include < windows.h >" is in the cpp file, But I still get the failed message. Let me look in the visual 2005 folder see if I find anything like you said.

Posted Sat 11 Jun 05 @ 12:14 am
In fact i have just noticed the software is not finished so that's the reason why you can't select a dll project directly

Look here to see if your project in visual C++ 2005 express is well:
http://www.virtualdj.com/blog/djcel/?category=2
=> "Project" => "Properties"

Especially verify:
* "Configuration Type: Dynamic Library (.dll)"
* "Use of MFC: Use Standard Windows Libraries"

Posted Sat 11 Jun 05 @ 1:22 am
Thanks Djcel for the config setup.

This is what I did: I created a new win32 proj from existing code. Then I pick the destination where vdjdsp2.h and flanger.cpp are located then proj is created, change config setting like what you have and then when I try to build a solution I get this:

1>Compiling...
1>Flanger.cpp
1>.Flanger.cpp(2) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'windows.h': No such file or directory
1>Build log was saved at "file://c:Documents and SettingsOwnerDesktopJOSE'S FOLDERflangerBuildLog.htm"
1>flanger4 - 1 error(s), 0 warning(s)
========== Build: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

Ok where is the windows.h and math.h in the flanger.cpp file? This is what it can't find.

What the heck I'm doing wrong?

Thanks again
Vnz

Posted Sat 11 Jun 05 @ 4:03 am
If possible, can you show me step by step on how to create proj/solution? You can call it Plug-in for Dummies.

Sorry for all the ?'s.
Once I get this I'll be ok.

Posted Sat 11 Jun 05 @ 5:03 am
In fact windows.h and math.h are standard windows libraries so they should be with Visual C++ 2005

I have Visual Studio .net 2003 with all the files usefull: windows.h calls others files and so on...

C:\\Program Files\\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\\Vc7\\PlatformSDK\\Include

These files aren't with visual c++ 2005 beta and i find this beta is not really well: it still lacks a lot of things

install dev-c++ , i's free and this compilator has these files

Posted Sat 11 Jun 05 @ 5:24 am
kaleoPRO InfinityMember since 2003
vnz161820:
be sure that you include < windows.h> and not "windows.h" (same for math.h)

Posted Sat 11 Jun 05 @ 9:26 am
Ok this is what I did.
Downloaded dev-cpp(Now I got windows.h and math.h), Created empty proj, included vdjdsp2.h and brake.cpp then compile it and I got different errors in different lines.

Djcel: I sent you a prt screen picture of the errors to your MSN e-mail if ok.

See if my proj is set ok. I'm using the files from the effect SDK plug-in page (did not change anything on them).
Do you have something else I can base my 1st proj on.

This is it, If I cant get this in the next day I'm done.

Thanks.
VNZ

Posted Sat 11 Jun 05 @ 3:37 pm
I have the same issue when compilating with Dev-C++ and i don't know why. Maybe the linker editor. I will have a look in the makefile: it doesn't accept or find VdjDsp2.h whereas there is no issue with visual c++ .net 2003

Posted Sat 11 Jun 05 @ 6:47 pm
77%