Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: SORTING TIME

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Upon opening VDJ and then sorting by TITLE or ARTIST it takes several minutes to complete?? Is this normal??? There's only 8000 songs in the database and the PC runs at 2.8 gig, 512mb???

Posted Wed 11 May 05 @ 2:31 pm
no

its not normal... It should sort in a second

Try changing 2 things:
1. turn off read idtags
2. Turn reactivity to normal

Posted Wed 11 May 05 @ 2:39 pm
djcelPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
Try to divide in subfolders. A big folder of songs takes more time that little folder

Posted Wed 11 May 05 @ 3:39 pm
I opened VDJ turned the IDTAGS to "off" and the reactivity to low or normal, then tried sorting the "DATABASE"......it took just over 4 min..??? I have smaller lists or catagories that of course don't take near as long only my master database????
I use a laptop with external firewire 120 gig HD. This was never an issue in version 2.06.
Dragging the right hand scroll bar through the Database list is impossible when it's not sorted.
Am I required to sorting for 5 minutes before operating VDJ everytime I open it???
MAJOR HEADACHE!!

aNY AND ALL HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!!

Posted Wed 11 May 05 @ 8:35 pm
sort them in subfolders. 8000 songs is a hugedata base to go through even if u have a good proc.

Posted Wed 11 May 05 @ 8:40 pm
Do you use the parser plugin? There should be something I have 60.000 songs in my database and if I sort on Artist, Trackname or Bpm it takes 1 or 2 seconds to sort the whole list.
Ewout

Posted Thu 12 May 05 @ 12:16 am
JeremKPRO InfinityStaffMember since 2004
Firewire is slower than integrated HDD. This could be a part of the problem.

Posted Thu 12 May 05 @ 12:54 am
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
This is one of the reasons I don't use the VDJ database.
I use an MP3 Catalog program - seperate application, seperate resources, less interference with VDJ. -- plus I get to search, sort and other things that just aren't in the VDJ database's ability.

cstoll

Posted Thu 12 May 05 @ 1:08 am
A usb or firewire external drive is not causing the problem. The files are read from the drive and are stored in a file. This file is used during a search request.
What you could try is:
- Close VDJ
- Make a backup of the file c:\program files\virtualdj\mp3database.txt. this is the file where all the songs are stored, but the cue points, bpm etc are stored in another file.
- Then rename the mp3database.txt file to mp3database_old.txt.
- Start VDJ and rescan your drives.

Then you have a clean file again

If you would like to get the original file back:
- Close vdj
- delete the newly created mp3database.txt file
- Rename the mp3database_old.txt file back to mp3database.txt

Ewout

Posted Thu 12 May 05 @ 6:19 pm
djcelPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
sorry you are wrong: it's database.xml !!!!

Posted Fri 13 May 05 @ 1:00 am
DJCel,
you may be right, but: I do not have a database.xml only a "Virtualdj Database.xml". In my opinion this last one is containing cue points, beat info, min and max volume etc.

If I scan my disks the file "mp3database.txt" is updated, so I asume that all file info, which should be used for search is stored in here.

Maybe somebody from the dev team could give a clue?
Ewout

Posted Fri 13 May 05 @ 5:35 pm
exactly Superstorm... u are correct

Posted Fri 13 May 05 @ 5:37 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)