Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Video mixing problems

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

Hi,
I tested video mixing in VirtualDJ 2.1 with my friend.

Hardware:
-----------
Intel Pentium 4, 2.4GHz, 512DDR RAM,
nVidia compatible graphics card with 64MB of memory (Direct-X 8.0 compatible)

Software settings:
-------------------
Dual mode screen setting, hardware acceleration, nVidia software detonators

We mixed only MPEG-1 format (normaly the least dificult to decode) but in VirtualDJ most videos
was too slowly even on this machine. I'm wondering what kind of machine do I need to work things
going on. :) If the video clip was playing alone (without mixing the other into), everything was
good (not the full speed, but...). If the video was mixed into another, it was completely unwatchable.
I think the computer which we tested on is good enought to handle this stuff.
What it seems to me is, the problem is the way of playing the video in VirtualDJ. I think some kind of
hardware acceleration (like in Windows Media Player) is missing here. That's why it's too slowly
sometimes. Had someone same problem ? Where is the glitch in ? Is there something to set up in
Windows or some tricks for that ?

Thanks for answers.

Posted Sun 08 May 05 @ 7:48 pm
JeremKPRO InfinityStaffMember since 2004
you need more memory video

Posted Sun 08 May 05 @ 9:29 pm
Could you please write down your hardware configuration ? :) If your video mixing goes OK. :)

Posted Sun 08 May 05 @ 9:31 pm
there is a possibility to activate hardware acceleration in VDJ settings, for smoother video mixing
You would need a good video card for this, but yours might work ok too

you would also need directx 9

Posted Sun 08 May 05 @ 9:42 pm
Pentium IV 3.00Ghz HT
1024MB RAM
ATI RADEON 9100 IGP with 64 of shared RAM but i will upgrade it to 128 to get better performances.

The preview of my video mix is perfect but i haven't conected my computer to a television to see the video mix yet so i couldn't really tell if it works perfectly.

Posted Sun 08 May 05 @ 9:43 pm
I have the same problem
p4 2.8 764mb rqam

radeon 800xl 256mb vid card

Posted Mon 09 May 05 @ 2:37 am
When I see close to the video that is playing, I can tell there is no hardware acceleration like for example in Windows Media Player. That's why any video is very difficult to play. I think this acceleration (not talking about VirtualDJ acceleration feature) is off because you can write your own text to the screen into the video. If this is the problem, I wouldn't mind if this feature won't be available anymore. :) I think a lot of people doesn't have money to spend for excellent machine that needs VirtualDJ with video mixing. If "blackgold9" says that P4 2.8, 764MB RAM and 256MB graphics card is not enought, what miracle I need to great results ? :)
I don't want to be person who screaming to developers for every bug and says "Get it fixed!". No, I just tell my problem out. :) Other functions and features in VirtualDJ 2.1 are great - really - but this one bugs me and I think the developers have a lot of work in front of them.

Posted Mon 09 May 05 @ 9:49 am
DJ CyderPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
Black gold refuses to admit to a case of not enough ram. I've asked severl times for aquamark scores on his system

Posted Mon 09 May 05 @ 11:34 am
I got skippy video too (with 768 mb ram) and VDJ just eats 150MB, 200 is free and the rest is ate by windows ... cpu usage from 10-20 % ;-) in preview windows all is nice... but on TV or monitor

I think the dev team should say something regarding their code, what it needs, the rest are just speculations,

btw. own text is possible even with HARDWARE overlay.
but vdj is not using it as far as i know

Posted Mon 09 May 05 @ 4:53 pm
I have noticed a tendancy on the forums to blame hardware without a proper understanding of how software USES said hardware. People blindly come up with ideas and stick to them. Ram is not the issue (at least in my case), neither is cpu performance. Something else is the culprit. I thought at first it was codec, but both files in question are standard mpeg files. So, cyder, as much as i like you, please dont jump to conclusions.

Posted Mon 09 May 05 @ 6:26 pm
mp3jrickPRO InfinityHonorary MemberMember since 2003
Not that I want into this argument, but running less than a gig of ram would scare me.
I run 2048 of premium ram because I never want to run short or have it fail.

Even with 2048 I notice a huge difference in load speed with mpegs.

Let's not forget that it's not just software and hardware, it's making Windows handle it also.
And that has been quite a bit of the problem in the past with different programs and configurations of hardware.

Posted Mon 09 May 05 @ 6:39 pm
I agree with "lopez453". Me and my friend had exactly the same problem: VirtualDJ ate about 10% of CPU speed and the rest of it was free. But video on TV was skippy. I think this is not problem of our hardware.
2048MB RAM ? Come on "mp3jrick", be serious, who has a money for this hardware stuff ? I think most people has slower machines. No fence but for that bunch of money I could buy Pioneer DVD video mixing players without using computer. :) I thought VirtualDJ should be about saving some money and extend some features. :)
I can play any divx, xvid, mpeg video smoothly on my Pentium III 600MHz, 384MB RAM and 64MB nVidia graphics card (of course I can't play VirtualDJ video but I understand it, it's too slow but I can mix audio without any problems) without any problems. So, I think If I want to preload and instant playing of any kind of video, teoretically It should be working on for example Pentium III 1,2GHz, 512MB RAM and 64MB nVidia card. That is my idea for realistic configuration to mix videos in VirtualDJ but give my a break with 2GB RAM and 256MB graphics card. Come on guys. :)

Posted Mon 09 May 05 @ 9:22 pm
But but but but..................

Mine works :^)

Posted Mon 09 May 05 @ 10:28 pm
you'rs works for other reasons.

Posted Mon 09 May 05 @ 10:52 pm
You say 2048 of RAM is way to expensive. If you look at the actual prices Samsung 3200 DDR of 1024 memory capacity is only 159€ in France. Get two of those you only need 318€.

I think the price is ten times smaller than the pioneer DVJ-X1 video mixer no?

Posted Mon 09 May 05 @ 11:35 pm
Thank you

And if I may.......
Remember that your reputation lies in the health stability of your system.
Don't go and jeopardise that with the cheapest hardware money can buy, it doesn't pay.

One might call it the "laptop mentality" where a $1k laptop and a hard drive full of music is a system.
It's not, its a starting point which evolves over years and improves as technology does with upgrades and new builds.

I was a laptop dj until I wanted to get into video.
The people who helped me do that advised me on what to get and how to build it. It has never let me down and still hasn't been overrun with obsolescence.
BTW, upgrading to a 256 card was noticable, and for $50.00 more why not?

Some of you probably know more of the limits and capacaties with hardware, but I know calculating has a margin of error with it. So before you laugh at me for setting the limits so high remember who advised me and remember that my system works and I am not the pc geek that some others are.
I listen to others for advice because I don't know it all.
And so far they have set me straight with no disappointing let downs.

You call it...........

Posted Mon 09 May 05 @ 11:46 pm
bogartPRO InfinityMember since 2004
I would listen to both Cyderhouse and MP3Rick. They really know about this stuff.
Both have helped me in the past and (Cyderhouse) still is helping me. Ask either one a question and they will definetly help.

Posted Tue 10 May 05 @ 1:44 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)