Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: Athlon 64 users

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

DJ CyderPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
I'm curious who is using a athlon 64 (3000+) processor with virtual dj. I just had a complete motherboard failure with my system (great timing eh guess you could say all the beta testing really did kill my system lol) Anyway I'm looking into this pretty seriously. if anyone is using a 64 please post up your experiences with it. Thanks

Cyder

Posted Sun 08 May 05 @ 3:49 am
I'm using a Athlon 64 3200+ in a laptop. I am pleased with the performance of the processor (especially when I use it with the speedswitch XP app that disables the power-saving throttling). Though I have had some serious trouble with my chipset and especially the USB bus. So to sum it up: the SiS 755 chipset sucks big time, the athlon 64 rules.

Posted Sun 08 May 05 @ 4:34 am
Hi, I'm using an AMD athlon 64 3400+ 2.45g with 1.00 gb of ram. My graphics card is a matrox millenium p750 ( which has, I think, 64mb ddr memory) I'm so keen for this program to work but I'm struggling with it a little. it works just well enough to whet my appetite when I use video files I've downloaded which are of quite low quality. When i try to use the files which I have taken from my PO DVD's and which are of full DVD quality and therefore quite large I start to get problems. The program freezes or won't display the video.

I'm happy to buy the program and I'm also content to have a computer built to do the job, but having done that will vdj play and manipulate files at dvd quality ?

If it does and it does it reliably then it really is a great leap forward for video in night clubs.

thanks

John

Posted Sun 08 May 05 @ 3:08 pm
al0000PRO InfinityMember since 2004
I have Athlon 64 3200+ socket 939 on my DAW machine.

I'm very very pleased by performace. Never experienced any stability issues. I would highly recommend it.

Alex

Posted Sun 08 May 05 @ 3:45 pm

Hi, I'm using an AMD athlon 64 3400+ 2.45g with 2.0 gig of 400 ram and an inno 3d geforce 6800 gt graphics card with 256m of ram. the systems' aquamark score is 60,878. I upgraded my system in line with the recommendations on this site and I'm not really happy with the quality of the output picture. I've tried it with videos encoded as vcd, svcd and using divx. They look acceptable when played back in winamp or powerdvd but jerky when output by vdj. the hardware tab is on in vdj.

can anyone suggest how I can improve the output please ?

john

Posted Wed 11 May 05 @ 7:21 pm
Try Mpeg 1 see if it doesn't improve. I'm in awe of your system is should playback perfect I'm concered because your aquamark score should be in the high 70's to low 80's with a setup like that.

Posted Wed 11 May 05 @ 8:24 pm

Posted Wed 11 May 05 @ 8:31 pm
Hi Cyder, thanks for the help. the computer was upgraded to the spec that you'd suggested here and in another forum, so if it's any good then the credit is yours. I went onto the website you suggested and went through the list of service adjustments, lots of fun ! The result was a negligible increase in aquamark (from 60878 with gfx @9174 and cpu @ 9052 to 61056 with gfx @9171 and cpu @ 9135 ). The output wasn't improved in my opinion. I'm now experimenting with optimum ripping settings although I'm not optimistic as I'm getting "jerky" output with very small vcd files. I wonder if I would enjoy more success if I used partition magic on my boot drive to produce a very clean boot ? If I can get this working to an acceptable quality I intend to have a computer built to operate in the venue at which I'm resident.

Any more help and suggestions would be appreciated.

John

Posted Thu 12 May 05 @ 4:16 am
1000 points isn't negligible :) thats awesome. Now have you downloaded the latest nforce drivers from nvidia? How old is the xpinstall? do you have any other media players installed?

Posted Thu 12 May 05 @ 4:49 am
Hi Justin, thanks for your prompt replies-unfortunately we're working round a time difference here. I had the card installed yesterday by my local computer store and I told them i wanted the latest drivers installed, how do I check ? I've lots of media players on the computer (qt, winamp, powerdvd, realplayer etc.) and it's a 7 month old windows install and therefore probably quite "cluttered". I'm running xp professional btw.

The computer is my "every day" work horse with networking etc on it and I can see this heading towards what, for me, is a scary place- a windows re install. This is why I suggested using partition magic so that I could install a "clean" windows on its own partition with nothing but what is necessary to run VDJ.

On your advice and using some help from rick I'm playing mp1 files, the audio ( i.e. beat matching ) is hugely impressive but the video out is still a little jerky.

Thanks again

John

Posted Thu 12 May 05 @ 12:53 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)