Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: SOUND QUALITY IN VDJ

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

I think the sound quality in vdj need some more work i put the same in bpm pro and fx and they sound mouch more batter but vdj is the best out there I think this time they are taking a little too long with an update

Posted Tue 19 Apr 05 @ 6:55 pm
JeremKPRO InfinityStaffMember since 2004
What options are selected in FAME in the VDJ settings?

We have remarked (on the french side of the community) that some options sort of compress the sound and make it loose some quality.

Posted Tue 19 Apr 05 @ 9:58 pm
basemanPRO InfinityMember since 2005
I have found the best combination is to have the autogain turned on and the limiter turned off.

Posted Tue 19 Apr 05 @ 10:01 pm
Autogain, do you mean always 0 db, or always the same?

Posted Tue 19 Apr 05 @ 10:04 pm
"Autogain, do you mean always 0 db, or always the same?"

Why, is this so important for good sound quality??

Posted Tue 19 Apr 05 @ 10:24 pm
Set at 0db. I don't think it makes any difference to the sound quality but you get the best frequency range at 0db.

Posted Tue 19 Apr 05 @ 10:27 pm
I wanted to know that because the setting always 0db compresses the sound, and this compression is even more flagrant when the limiter is on.

Posted Tue 19 Apr 05 @ 11:10 pm
The closer to 0db the original recording is, the lesser the sound will be compressed, so to obtain the best quality i would guess its a good idea to get your source recordings close to 0db.

Posted Tue 19 Apr 05 @ 11:31 pm
I have been converting all my vinyl to the PC and using the "Rip Vinyl" software that comes with VDJ. Don't seem to be mentioned much here but it does an excellent job. Nice quality, normalisation and it does all the saving in the background whilst im recording the next one :)

Posted Tue 19 Apr 05 @ 11:36 pm
I find that the best results are realized when FAME gain is set to always match, and then start your set at -3db using the skin's channel gain control. Each track after the 1st one will auto-gain to -3db (or close to it anyway) and your set will run for the rest of the night at ~ -3db without any further adjustment.

At 0db, you don't have much headroom and the sound could distort. I've been using the -3db method for over a year with never a complaint... in fact I get compliments all the time about how clean the sound is [:o)

Posted Wed 20 Apr 05 @ 2:14 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)