Quick Sign In:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Skins

Topic: Skins downloads should not be for everyone - Page: 2

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

But how long do people stay as demo users? So why care? The purpose of a demo is to ignite interest in the program that will eventually lead to a purchase. Getting just a sample, creates the need for more. The feature-list and forums tells people the rest.

As a demo-users people can't use all the functionality of VDJ anyway. Skins just offer a different feel to the program. And from the default skin, users get all the features to make the decision if the program is right for them or not.

If it is the Graphical User interface that is the deciding factor, then screenshots should be enough.

In a world without cracks, I would agree with you. But since this is not the case, I still think that it should be up to the actual people that make the skins to decide if no license users are to have access to their work or not.

Regards,

Jim Nordic

Posted Tue 24 May 05 @ 4:41 am
there were no problems for me to get new effects, skins, and samples together bundled with crack.
But i did not find it useful for me and used my 1.09 hercules one, i consider it much more stable that crack. Even created my own minimalistic skin for it. But when there were some 100%cpu usage problems solved (2.06 i think) when used file above maxload time, i considered buying vdj (unfortunately 2.06 demo was not available so I looked for crack and looked if it really makes a difference).

I think the author of skin and effect should decide from which level will it be available.

Posted Tue 24 May 05 @ 12:17 pm
listen2PRO InfinityMember since 2005
well it says only to cut down bandwith the effects are only for licensed users, so the reasoning is not to make an exclusive only but rather to ease the site use. i guess it makes no difference if a demo user can or cannot get skins. i just don't see what the big deal is..... they're skins.

Posted Tue 24 May 05 @ 6:03 pm
listen2:

Have you made a skin? Do you know the amount of work that goes into them?

If you don't, then I can understand that you don't see the big deal.

It takes time. And as a skinner, I would much rather have my skins benefit paying users and not people using cracks.

Posted Tue 24 May 05 @ 9:06 pm
jim*
no i have never made a skin or will i since i do not understand all of the work and details needed, what i was trying to say was you can't shutout the crackers without effecting the demo users too. if VDJ was a girl and you say yes she looks nice, but then before you agree to marry her you want to see her in a bikini, nice red lace nighty etc.(check under the hood) ok so now i have gone off into one my my strange compairsions that i do ...i'll coming full circle now, i have ordered TCV and it would be nice to try them on one of the TC special skins for a real good test. now if i couldn't do that would it stop me from possibly buy VDj, probably not.... but it would help me make my mind up a lot easier? YES! i understand your point, why make something for crackers to enjoy, if you want to make it licensed users only then i guess thats your choice. It does and can also help sell the product as well, maybe you can get 12% commission if your skin helps a sale.

***i want to add that i think all the skin makers do a great job, and i do look forward to testing with many of them.

Posted Tue 24 May 05 @ 10:32 pm
@ Listen2

Dude I don't think that you understand the whole concept here.These guys work hard at creating things to benefit all users. It takes alot of work. They don't get paid. It's for the love of music and the affection for thier fellow DJs. Actually they receive little appreciation from thier fellow DJs for all thier help and time. Then some crack head steals it. That would upset me as well. A demo expires after 20 days...you should be able to make up your mind by then. Skins should be available to all if so desired by the creators.

BTW
You have been on these forums for months...must be a great "demo" that you use.
Well if the demo is great, it would be good to see you as a full u$er.

MS

Posted Wed 25 May 05 @ 4:43 am
@listen2 and to everyone else who finds this topic interesting

I understood what you were trying to say the first time.

Have you ordered TCV ($15 per vinyl if ordered on this site) for VirtualDJ or some other SW?

I'm curious about how testing a few more features, included in a couple of skins, can make the decision easier. Let me rephrase that… “How not testing a few features on some skins can make the decision harder…” You've tried the demo, seen what it can do, and know what else you get when purchasing a full version license. Either you buy it or you don't.

You made a comparison... here is mine;
When test-driving a car, do you crash the car to see if or HOW the airbags work? NO. You know that they are there and trust that they will work if something were to happen. Knock on wood!!! The point is that VDJ delivers what it says. Skins and effects are bonuses. In my opinion; bonuses to paying customers.

If it is so that you have been a demo user for longer than 20 days, how much more time do you need before buying the software? I would say that 20 days using the VDJ demo with the default skin for free is generous enough by Atomix.

If I was a first-time demo user, I would not be so eager to fight for the right to download extra skins. I would use the demo, find out what else I could do with a full version license. If I was not going to buy the SW, they would be useless anyway after the demo had expired. You’re not buying a car here.

Lets face it. A lot of users may try the demo and then use the crack to test the rest of the features... (Maybe you are one of them? I have no way of knowing what version you are using. I hope not. But being a long time no-license users, ordering TCV's, and requesting skins to be open for everyone, I must confess, sounds a bit fishy. Please tell me if I’m wrong.) Many license-users used to use a crack. But the free updates, great support, and the strong community made them decide to pay those $$$.

It was said that skins and plug-ins come with the cracks, so why care? That's no reason to make them more available to people using cracks. New skins, skin-updates, and plug-ins come out more frequently than new updates. And the people who are cracking VDJ don’t update their crack-files every time a new skin comes out. Getting always updated skins and plug-ins would be a major incentive to stop using cracks and buy the SW.

I, myself, feel only committed to make skins for people that have joined the community and supported it by actually paying for the SW. No offence towards demo users!

If you really are a demo user and serious about buying this SW… you have enough info using the demo and the default-skin to make a good decision. I don’t use TCV with my VDJ… but I hear it rocks.

Regards

Posted Wed 25 May 05 @ 12:10 pm
I guess you didn't get me the 1st or 2nd time but i not going to get defensive. i just gave my opinion about skins, I NEVER said skins were not hard to make, i was just stating my opinion. In my case i would love to check out some skins as i test, but it would be fine if i couldn't either. And if i must which happens from time to time on here, i am a NON license dj, no crack, no demo, ZAP my pc and check for a version. i am waiting to test it since i finally made a choice to jump in the digital world. Is it not ok come on this board and give your 2 cent if your licensed or not? i guess i'll just shut my mouth until i buy VDJ.

Posted Wed 25 May 05 @ 2:41 pm

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)