Quick Sign In:  

Forum: General Discussion

Topic: A personal vision on the future

This topic is old and might contain outdated or incorrect information.

This is how I see it:
PC mixing is becoming easier and better then ever before.
It's also more accepted and appreciated by the general public.
(popularity of VDJ, Traktor, BPM Studio, ... and even Winamp with it's crossfader)

Another thing that I noticed is that bootlegs are getting more attention then before (it's possible that I have a twisted vision on that subject).

So I was thinking: lets combine the two!

The future of DJ'ing won't be spinning 2 pre-recorded tracks
BUT
creating new tracks,
by manipulating many different audio samples,
while doing it live.

Yeah, I know, it already exists (abelton live ...) but I really think that it's going to be it!
Live mixes will have a quality that you can compare with 'multitrack recorded mixes'. How sweet is that?
Some DJ's already manage to do this with vinyl or even with those pioneers decks but I strongly believe that PC mixing will take it on step further. (actually, now I think of it, those pioneer decks are small computers). But yet again, the question will be if people WANT to accept new improvements. The vinyl freaks wont like it but that's not a surprise, is it?

Another thing for the future:
Mixing isn't audio alone. Mixing is audio and video images!
While mixing live, party people will see the corresponding videoclips on big screens.
Videoclip mashes are the bomb!
And you can even make it cooler by adding corresponding karaoke texts!

Hmm ...
pinch me, I'm dreaming

Anyone with me?
Other DJ future visions?

Let me know

Posted Thu 14 Apr 05 @ 3:07 pm
i agree with u totally ...kinda how i mix i guess more of an artist than just a dj so to speak...would love to hear more of your views on subjects like this

Posted Thu 14 Apr 05 @ 3:54 pm
listen2PRO InfinityMember since 2005
i also agree..but honestly do you want to sit there all-night-long and play Mr. remix man?? i find it hard enough to concentrate on the songs to play rather then remix them all. yes it sounds mega-cool when dj's do that, i guess as the software advances it becomes so automatic that a chimp can just press play, put controllers on his wrists, and wave his arms in the air. the result is YMCA being remixed to a drum loop of beat it.

Posted Thu 14 Apr 05 @ 9:19 pm
listen2PRO InfinityMember since 2005
i just re-read your post and talking about video included too, i was lately messing around with mixmeister demo and 1st let me say i can't beat match from my life with it, i have no idea why, it a bit strange,anyways you can lay out the playlist and just let it go, kind of like a pre-mixed cd but you can edit it on the fly (requested songs, mash-ups, custom remix, etc.) what is kind os nice is the you can pre-mix 3-4 songs and you can be working on the 5th songs mix while the 1song is playing, you can also edit video clips with this too, so this is kind of touching on what you were talking about, me i would still perfer VDJ anyday. can't wait to try the TCV.

Posted Thu 14 Apr 05 @ 9:41 pm
JeremKPRO InfinityStaffMember since 2004
Don't know if you heard of the last Pioneer DVD Deck that let's you mix Music and their corresponding Video clips, all this on a DVD. I saw this in Paris on a DJ show, DJ Get-Down was awesomally mixing on it.

That's the future of DJing! (Even if 3000$ for a DJ DVD deck is a little expensive!!!)

Posted Fri 15 Apr 05 @ 12:18 am
acw_djPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2005
I feel the same about the Audio and Video mixing, but gess what.... Since 1986, and I still waiting... (Could you imagine with vcr's and laserdics?)

The Audio and video experience is going to be the common stuff in the next years, but the videos of the music we´re playing are not always available at the right time. That will be the issue.

I still feel that we create the ambience with our selection and mixing, plus the lights and the effects we put in. In the middle of that we can create any compile to do our own remix, but we are the AMBIENCE maker, the party maker... the artist. And the main thing is "people dancing" and having a great time with our job. It requieres some other things that remix could do. Anything that keep in a great time to our audience is valid. What you think?

If we had the audio and video capabilities from VDJ, it will be great. I hope we can do it in the near future.

acw_dj from Mexico

Posted Fri 15 Apr 05 @ 2:46 am
VeeJaying is not a new thing but i do dissagree that virtual dj should incorporate this as its not what teh program is for. Virtual DJ should play to its strenghts and not try to do too many thngs at once, a great solid DJ program with music mixing features. There are many excelent VeeJay programs allready out there many clubs now have resedent VeeJays that play alongside the current DJ doing a set, i think that the way forward is in teamwork between VeeJays/lighting controlers and DJ's both doing what they are good at and putting all their attention to that one thing instead of trying to all 3 at once.

One thing i think we can all agree on is that VDJ needs to have the best possible integration and compatibility with these products but adding more program to teh program will only add to the things to go wrong and the speed of the system. VDj stuff is allways run independantly (ie on another system) as it uses heaps of processing power anyway. What Virtual DJ needs to be is a great flexible and responsive tool for DJ's!

Posted Sat 16 Apr 05 @ 2:48 am
I agree that these programs are great and revolutionary. However, the stability must be improved to a level of perfection. A denon or pioneer CD deck never crashes or needs to be rebooted. Atomix has the best DJ software on the market right now... just fix a few bugs and it is perfect. Looking forward to version 2.07!

WirelessDJ

Posted Sat 16 Apr 05 @ 2:23 pm
acw_djPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2005

Look the pass, then see the future. It's true that it will take more resources to really make possible the Video mix. But it's to conventional to think it's not going to happend. If this is a wish list, I want Video and audio mixing. But in the first place, AUDIO. I want an Stable and perfect. That's in the very near future, but in the future don't forget these whishes.

acw_dj

Posted Sun 17 Apr 05 @ 7:41 am

(Old topics and forums are automatically closed)